Thread: OPSEC. Operattional Security
+
Add Report
Results 196 to 210 of 423
-
10-02-24 14:53 #228Regular Member

Posts: 24True. Staying off wifi is good opsec but if an entity has the resources to look for relationships between when and where you power your device on, you're screwed. With enough historical data and analysis of that data, anybody can be sniffed out.
Originally Posted by Palmore5
[View Original Post]
-
10-02-24 09:55 #227Senior Member

Posts: 3338I understand that two devices in proximity can give away the connection between them. This is how Petraeus was caught having an affair w / his biographer. They never actually sent any emails to one another, but they had an account they could both access and leave 'drafts' for the other. Smart.
Originally Posted by Palmore5
[View Original Post]
However, IDK that having two phones, IRL and burner, poses much of a risk. Yeah, Google likely knows there is a connection between the two, but IDK what risk that poses to me. My main worry is my SO. If LE wanted to track down my activities for some reason, well, they have a lot more power and that would be a bigger worry. But that isn't my situation.
-
10-02-24 07:43 #226Senior Member

Posts: 170TextNow history
Think TextNow isn't retaining a history of All your messages? Think again. Try this: export a conversation where someone sent you some photos. Open the export and you'll find a web link to each photo in that conversation.
Originally Posted by AnonDemon69
[View Original Post]
Lou.
-
10-01-24 22:30 #225Regular Member

Posts: 18And never used on your Wi-Fi.
Originally Posted by Gourmand56
[View Original Post]
Never powered on in your residence, work, etc.
Never on where your regular phone has been, especially at the same time.
It probably gets a lot worse, but the point is everything is logged and if to things can be associated the dots can be connected if the will is there.
-
10-01-24 18:10 #224Regular Member

Posts: 24If it's linked to a device that's linked to you, it can be linked back to you. The app store is the link between you and app, and it has your billing info. It just depends on how deep the person doing the searching is looking, and what tools they have at their disposal to look. The only way to keep something completely separate from you is to have a completely separate device. One that you paid cash for and never connected to any of your real accounts.
Originally Posted by AnonDemon69
[View Original Post]
-
10-01-24 12:49 #223Regular Member

Posts: 18Not as secure as you think
TextNow won't allow picking a number with a VPN. Why? They clearly are tracking the IP the number is associated with.
Originally Posted by AnonDemon69
[View Original Post]
When you delete messages, they are only not visible to you. If you have another text conversation the deleted texts reappear, even if they happen under your old number and you've not selected a new number.
Their logs have it all.
-
10-01-24 10:09 #222Senior Member

Posts: 3338Last post
This is a reason I never ever use any of the internal apps on my devices. I go exclusively w / cloud-based sites that don't have any ties to my IRL identity. I do all my texting through Google Voice. On my laptop at home, through a VPN, and on my burner phone. Yeah, IK, Google can find out a lot of things about me if it wants to, but the key is, my SO can't.
-
10-01-24 09:19 #221Senior Member

Posts: 93To help with the traces left
You should also follow up with, or perhaps start with for the local files -- not sure how this might relate to any cloud based storage -- the following link: https://www.amacsite.com/securely-delete-files-on-mac/.
Deleteing files is generally not really deleting them as noted in the link.
Originally Posted by DarkRai2
[View Original Post]
-
10-01-24 08:37 #220Senior Member

Posts: 117Finding and Deleting iMessages on Mac
Reposting from General Stuff as this should be here for you all reading this.
Finding Hidden iMessages on Mac.
I had an issue where I had to delete messages and such. I even started a new iCloud account. Couple of things for Mac and I'm not an expert.
1. Turn off Time Machine and delete any backups if any.
2. Delete any iCloud backups.
3. In the "Finder" search for "Library / Messages /" This is where the messages are stored.
That last one I found all my text messages that I thought were deleted, they were NOT! I had to delete stuff in batches as you could not "select all" and delete. Took a while, but I got it done. MIND YOU, this covers tracks a lot, but if your SO gets a hold of your devices, they can take them for forensic analysis, which would uncover a lot.
Be sure to shut off any synchronizing (sharing) settings to avoid any issues. Lastly, if you started a new iCloud and deleted everything on the old iCloud account, I believe the old account hang around for one year if inactive and 30 to 90 days if deleted.
Here's a link to Toms Guide for recovering messages, which can be used to find and delete too. https://recoverit.wondershare.com/ma...es-on-mac.html..
-
09-28-24 16:31 #219Senior Member

Posts: 846Look at iOS18.
Originally Posted by Koolakulak
[View Original Post]
Heard that people are complaining that new features enable 'cheating' LOL.
-
09-27-24 16:55 #218Senior Member

Posts: 88Private photo / video apps for IOS
Looking for suggestions for apps that can hide / secure photos and videos on the iPhone. Ideally, one that will allow me to record directly from the app and have password or passcode to access. I'm currently using PV but not very happy with it as the photos and videos taken aren't as good as the native camera. Anyone using anything that they recommend and like? Would be nice if there's an app that secretly records also while not showing on the screen.
-
09-27-24 14:22 #217Senior Member

Posts: 3338I have gone to TracFone, and it was a simple process to change my number. Completely automated at their 800#.
Originally Posted by CuriousVaMan
[View Original Post]
I may go to TransUnion and 'dispute' the old burner # on my credit report. However, I feel a little bit better already. If someone saw it and called it, tried to track me down, it would not find me.
-
09-26-24 01:32 #216Senior Member

Posts: 517FFA, FWIW, I received my TransUnion credit report today as well. It too lists my historical, real numbers, but does not list any burner numbers I have used. I too have a GV number and run GV on my real phone. Not a burner.
Originally Posted by FarFarAway
[View Original Post]
-
09-25-24 23:57 #215Senior Member

Posts: 3338Yeah, well, that didn't happen. I would never ever do that.
Originally Posted by AnonDemon69
[View Original Post]
I have laid out my burner strategy earlier. If you don't know about burners, the whole point is that you can buy them anonymously. With cash. I have only ever paid for service using prepaid debit cards, never a credit card that has my name on it. I have totally fake name and address associated w / the account. This is a TracFone, bought years ago in a Walmart, and then about 3 years ago, I got a new phone in a mom and pop shop and the dude transferred the sim card for me. No name associated w / any of that.
So again, I have no idea how that number got associate w / me IRL.
-
09-25-24 17:48 #214Senior Member

Posts: 104Yes, TextNow permits both outgoing and incoming phone calls, but I guess it won't work for you since it does not permit online logging in.
Originally Posted by FarFarAway
[View Original Post]
I would ditch the phone and buy one under someone else's name or a fake name. Someone told me that phone numbers can be linked because you recharged it with one of your credit cards or a gift card registered under your name.












Reply With Quote





