PDA

View Full Version : Search not working

Too Nice
01-22-11, 15:15
I can't get the sites search engine to work anymore.

If I use the multiple type selection then it works but only returns a list of threads, some hundreds of pages long.

If I use the single type selection then I can select the options for returning 'reports' instead of threads, but no results are returned no matter what I search for. I tried searching both the forums and posts selection.

The search engine worked last year even in the redesigned site, but now it's broken. Can anyone help?

SoCalMonger
01-30-11, 15:48
I can no longer specify a specific city or state to search. The other problem is that there is no option to display as threads or reports. Why do we have to wait 60 seconds before making another search?

Seva Lurker
01-31-11, 08:02
I can no longer specify a specific city or state to search. The other problem is that there is no option to display as threads or reports. Why do we have to wait 60 seconds before making another search?SoCalMonger, check out this post (http://www.usasexguide.info/forum/showthread.php?9665-VBulletin-4.0.7-comments&p=1083065&viewfull=1#post1083065) in the VBulletin 4.0.7 comments (http://www.usasexguide.info/forum/showthread.php?9665-VBulletin-4.0.7-comments) thread and see if that may help. There were a couple of responses to that post. One being you can use the control key (hold it down) and then select multiple locations to search.

The 60 second rule has been Jackson's policy since before I joined up.

Skiper
01-30-12, 10:54
I seem to have trouble when I'm looking for reports on workers with short names.

Zoe, Eve or Amy.

I know the reports are there, because I made some of them. But, our search tool does not seem to pick up short names. Anybody have a work around for this problem?

Please note; this is NOT a complaint about site management.

Ropeshark07
06-30-13, 09:02
I seem to have trouble when I'm looking for reports on workers with short names.

Zoe, Eve or Amy.

I know the reports are there, because I made some of them. But, our search tool does not seem to pick up short names. Anybody have a work around for this problem?

Please note; this is NOT a complaint about site management.I've had trouble making the search function since I started. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong?

I'm usually trying search a thread (Detroit Massage) for names and locations, but it often misses entries I know are there (I can see them browsing). For instance, search this thread for 'Amy' which should grab the first post, but it doesn't.

Sometimes, it grabs a lot of entries, and I have a list. Looks good, but when I click on an entry to read the complete post it takes me to somewhere in that thread that doesn't have the post I just clicked in it.

Can anyone help?

Skatar018
08-21-13, 06:21
Is it really fixed Mr Wizard!

Off & on I've stated the inter-links didn't function properly, & that the posts seemed backwards (ie numbered from one ascending order rather than descending order)

Was told they were working on it (over a year ago) hats off as the site is working like a charm for me now, when I click on a internal link I'm taken directly to the post.

BIG THANKS to Jackson for getting this fixed

Da Bot
03-22-15, 14:40

Zoe, Eve or Amy.

Please note; this is NOT a complaint about site management.Several years later this is STILL a problem. I search on the term "VIP" (without quotes). I'm looking right at a post that includes VIP, but the search engine insists there are no results found!

One Good Tug
09-11-15, 10:07
I too still have this problem.

Knowing a thing or two, I can understand why this may be an issue. For search, you need to index the text on the site. When you include 1,2, or 3 letter words that index would be HUGE. It not only puts a strain on storage. But speed of the processing of results and updates to the index.

Might I suggest, a field be added to a forum post for the providers name. For the sole purpose of searching by just a name and indexing that field differently? If you wanted to be fancy about it or find some other way, perhaps there is a way to add "tags" to posts and a system could be put in place to allow senior members to suggest or add tags such as CIM BBBJ Greek their name etc.

Giving Senior members that ability would allow us to retroactively "catch up" the index of tags.

Another solution I had considered was adopting a convention where we would combine the providers name and last 4 of their phone into a single word so that was searchable. But I can just imagine that most users would ignore that.

Something like that would go a long way to make the info on the site more useful. And give noobs a way to find results.

Thank you.