PDA

View Full Version : Personalized icons for the members

Rosco2
01-28-08, 10:46
Jackson, thank you for hosting this wonderful site. You're doing a fantastic job, and are obviously dedicated to its success by adding a spiffy quad-core server.

I'm writing because I have a special request. Is there any possibility that the users can upload their own personalized icons? You probably know what they are: small images, perhaps 150 X 100 pixels, that would appear below our member names in the left margin.

Two other boards on which I participate allow them. I think icons spruce up a site, and add a fun flavor to it. They're also a lot of fun for the members.

Well, I thank you again for the marvelous job you're doing. We all owe you a big debt of gratitude for bringing us together :)

And your decision to allow members to upload SW photographs is pure genius! I know we all appreciate your hosting the photos for us on the server--not many hobby sites do that. You're the *exceptional* Hobby Host :-)

Very best,

Rosco

Rosco2
01-29-08, 11:57
I think adding personalized icons can help boost membership to the board, too. When newcomers see the colorful images in the left margin, they're not just seeing text *all* the way down the long page. This can help keep them interested and engaged.

Rosco2
01-30-08, 12:56
Jackson, if you're hesitant for some reason to allow members to have personalized icons, perhaps you could allow Senior Members the privilege.

I really think icons would spruce up the board. As I mentioned, 2 other boards on which I write allow personalized icons. They really are a wonderful feature :) :)

Rosco2
02-11-08, 05:47
I tend to think that one of the reasons the old Craig's List Review Board (CLreviiewBoard.org) was so popular is it allowed members to upload their own icons, thus providing a really colorful and eye-catching look to the board.

More than just valuable information, the board provided Eye Candy in the form of members' colorful and fascinating icons :)

It was always a real pleasure to view the creativity and ingenuity of members who used their own icons.

Clark Kent
03-27-08, 08:24
They're called avatars at other forums.

Hoho Creampie
12-19-08, 19:01
Small avatars would be a good idea. Would give an image to attach to a name. Too many forum names are indistinguishable from each other, and this might thwart that.

Humpty Dumpty
07-16-10, 02:01
How about the avatar idea, Jackson?

As well as bumping me to unmoderated status.

Seva Lurker
07-16-10, 07:36
I know for a fact that vBulletin can support the display of avitars. I've seen it done on other sites that use this software. Seems to be an admin option to include it or not. Like the ability to delete your own posts within a period of time is I believe.

The question is how much additional overhead is required to implement it and probably more importantly, how many of us would really use it? After all anonymity is pretty much the name of this game.

A couple of the user names who've responded would be easy to come up with an nondescript avitar. Humpty Dumpty could borrow a drawing from Mother Goose. Hoho could show one of their 'creampies'. Clark Kent, maybe one of his comic book namesake changing to Superman.

My user name on the other hand would have to be something like a map of southeastern Virginia that is somehow 'lurking' in the shadows. I don't think I'd take the time to even try.

Jackson, maybe a poll on this idea would be interesting.