PDA

View Full Version : Vasectomy questions...

White
12-12-07, 11:54
Hey guys. There is no sub forum on this board to discuss this topic so I chose this one.

Anyway, I'm wondering how many of you on here have had one? I had mine done two weeks ago and now I'm needed some reassurance that I did the right thing.

My concern is that I've read some real horror stories online about this. Specifically from this site: http://dontfixit.org

Right now I'm still having some pain in the testicles and quite a bit at the incision points on the scrotum. I'm hoping that this goes away very very soon as I don't know how much more of this I can take. The doctor said I would feel almost 100% after a week but I'm no where near that right now. Anybody have some insight they can send my way.

:(

Phompee
12-12-07, 13:17
You probably did the right thing. I followed my doc's advice to the letter and it still took me longer than I thought/wanted to get back in the saddle (so to speak). If you did the ice application, take it easy, stay reclining as much as possible things should start improving soon. If you didn't follow that recovery plan very well, it will take a bit longer. Using a jock strap to support your balls during your recovery also seems to help. If your situation is anything like mine, you may have a "clot" from blood that collected in the scrotum right after the surgery. Now it sits there like an old scab and will take some time to reabsorb. As long as it's in there, you'll have that full and not too comfortable feeling but it's not dangerous and will go away. One of the reasons that docs recommend the post op stuff is to try to minimize the size of the damn "clot". Also, you have had an invasive procedure. Think about how long a deep cut on your finger might take to heal back to 100% and that should give you a bit more perspective. Also, you'd probably do things with an injured finger that you wouldn't do with sore balls (not the clearest or best analogy I've ever written but I hope you get the point).

Hang in there (no pun intended). You'll be ready for sport fucking soon.

Phompee

Bob Johnson
12-12-07, 17:10
I had one 7 years ago and have no regrets. I'd give it a few more weeks before taking a test drive. Call your Doc and go for a follow-up visit if you are concerned. Mine hurt like hell too after, but it went away. The best is yet to come. You get to jerk off in to a cup and bring it in to the girls at the med lab to check for sperm.

In the long run it's had a great payback. Two of the girl's i was banging on a regular basis got pregnant, and i was able to say unaquivicaly that it wasn't me. BTW I allways were a condom for sdt protection too.

Still Looking
12-12-07, 20:05
I had mine done over 5 years ago. I am glad I did it. As for your pain I had none and was back in action in two days. It did take several trips to the lab to finally start shooting blanks. Good luck.

Joe Cocker
12-12-07, 23:06
For me, it wasn't worth the pain and suffering of the surgery itself and it wasn't worth the complications. The doctor (a urology resident) who performed my vasectomy dismissed the possible complications during his "informed consent" and never mentioned most of the problems I experienced. He also lied.

The first lie. In spite of being told that the surgery would be relatively painless, it was not. The pain of the local anesthetic injections nearly made me pass out. I felt severe pain when the surgeon made the incisions and could both feel and smell my flesh burning when he did the electrocautery.

The second lie. You'll be back to normal in a day or two. I had heavy hemorrhaging and difficulty walking for weeks. My scrotum turned black from the internal bleeding. And it was weeks before I could resume sex. It's been 22 years since the surgery and I still have testicular pain to even light contact.

The third lie. You'll be the same sexually and won't have any complications related to sexual function. After finally recovering to the point I could resume sex I noticed that my ejaculate volume was significantly reduced. This resulted in briefer and significantly less pleasurable orgasms. (I was told that this was a figment of my imagination, but I know differently). I couldn't endure pressure on my testicles and some sexual positions became very painful. During sex the sudden, stabbing pain caused an immediate loss of erection and I became anxious and fearful of having sex. This went on for years.

Also during sex one of my testicles would occasionally ascend into my abdomen, which was very painful, and I would have to stop and massage it down. I had never experienced that before my vasectomy. When I asked about it I was told that was not a complication from vasectomy. Two years ago I had a hernia repair and the excellent surgeon noticed and repaired the tract in my abdomen, so that condition (ascending testicle) was finally corrected.

I had recurring bouts of epididymitis and had to take antibiotics. I had never had epididymitis before. I experienced sperm "blow outs" which hadn't been mentioned as a possible complication. I think that for a man in his 40's having a vasectomy sperm "blow outs" are a very real concern and more of a probability than a possibility.

There are biochemical feedback loops in the human body related to sexual function in both sexes. Medicine hasn't researched these feedback loops, especially in men. Men have been relatively ignored by the medical profession by a lack of research into both sexual function and dysfunction. The medical profession just doesn't know all the possible vasectomy complications. Historically, they just cut the vas and waited to see what happened. If we became sterile and didn't complain, that proved vasectomies were safe. The medical community also figures that male plumbing is simple, relative to females, and there isn't much that can go wrong. The problem with this logic is that men are stoic and are afraid to complain even when they do have problems with sexual function. And when a few men complain of post-vasectomy dysfunction and pain they are discounted and told to "suck it up."

White
12-13-07, 12:14
For me, it wasn't worth the pain and suffering of the surgery itself and it wasn't worth the complications. The doctor (a urology resident) who performed my vasectomy dismissed the possible complications during his "informed consent" and never mentioned most of the problems I experienced. He also lied.

The first lie. In spite of being told that the surgery would be relatively painless, it was not. The pain of the local anesthetic injections nearly made me pass out. I felt severe pain when the surgeon made the incisions and could both feel and smell my flesh burning when he did the electrocautery.

The second lie. You'll be back to normal in a day or two. I had heavy hemorrhaging and difficulty walking for weeks. My scrotum turned black from the internal bleeding. And it was weeks before I could resume sex. It's been 22 years since the surgery and I still have testicular pain to even light contact.

The third lie. You'll be the same sexually and won't have any complications related to sexual function. After finally recovering to the point I could resume sex I noticed that my ejaculate volume was significantly reduced. This resulted in briefer and significantly less pleasurable orgasms. (I was told that this was a figment of my imagination, but I know differently). I couldn't endure pressure on my testicles and some sexual positions became very painful. During sex the sudden, stabbing pain caused an immediate loss of erection and I became anxious and fearful of having sex. This went on for years.

Also during sex one of my testicles would occasionally ascend into my abdomen, which was very painful, and I would have to stop and massage it down. I had never experienced that before my vasectomy. When I asked about it I was told that was not a complication from vasectomy. Two years ago I had a hernia repair and the excellent surgeon noticed and repaired the tract in my abdomen, so that condition (ascending testicle) was finally corrected.

I had recurring bouts of epididymitis and had to take antibiotics. I had never had epididymitis before. I experienced sperm "blow outs" which hadn't been mentioned as a possible complication. I think that for a man in his 40's having a vasectomy sperm "blow outs" are a very real concern and more of a probability than a possibility.

There are biochemical feedback loops in the human body related to sexual function in both sexes. Medicine hasn't researched these feedback loops, especially in men. Men have been relatively ignored by the medical profession by a lack of research into both sexual function and dysfunction. The medical profession just doesn't know all the possible vasectomy complications. Historically, they just cut the vas and waited to see what happened. If we became sterile and didn't complain, that proved vasectomies were safe. The medical community also figures that male plumbing is simple, relative to females, and there isn't much that can go wrong. The problem with this logic is that men are stoic and are afraid to complain even when they do have problems with sexual function. And when a few men complain of post-vasectomy dysfunction and pain they are discounted and told to "suck it up."

Well this is exactly what I am afraid of. Now it's too late. Like you I was told there is little to no problems with a vasectomy. Now I'm reading all these horror stories and I'm completely freaked out. Some guys say everything is great and others say it has ruined their lives. I just wish I could see what the next couple of months holds for me and know for sure that everything is going to be ok. But this day to day stuff is driving me mad.

Also......I seem to have some inflamation in the vas itself. I can actually feel where it was cut off annd it also feel hard and stiff. I'm hoping that the stiffness goes away cause right now I feel like Frankencock. :(

Ebhunter
12-13-07, 13:23
Well this is exactly what I am afraid of. Now it's too late. Like you I was told there is little to no problems with a vasectomy. Now I'm reading all these horror stories and I'm completely freaked out. Some guys say everything is great and others say it has ruined their lives. I just wish I could see what the next couple of months holds for me and know for sure that everything is going to be ok. But this day to day stuff is driving me mad.

Also......I seem to have some inflamation in the vas itself. I can actually feel where it was cut off annd it also feel hard and stiff. I'm hoping that the stiffness goes away cause right now I feel like Frankencock. :(I had mine almost 3 years ago with no regrets and there was very little pain right after the surgery. I was back in the saddle in about 14 days with no issues. I read the horror story and the only thing I can relate to is my load seems to be lighter and I don't think it is my imagination either.

BootyCall
12-13-07, 14:26
I'm now 71 yro and I had it done 37 yrs ago. No way would I do it now. I had pain when the cut in the bag was made. When he burned the ends pain. I can feel the stubbs in my sack. I believe this is part of the problems I have today with an erection. I had no bleeding in the sack. Had it done on a Friday then Saturday week played in a golf tourment. Had problems with erection ever since. Now I have particial blockage on the left side of the penis. Don't do it fellows. Think About It.
BC

Phompee
12-13-07, 17:48
Hey White,

It sounds like you may have a post surgery complication. To be sure, make an appointment with your doc. He can help if you have a post surgery infection and can answer your concerns about things in general. With no offense directed to anyone on the board, speaking with your doc is probably more useful than listening to a bunch of guys who post on hobby boards.

Best of luck to you.

Phompee

White
12-27-07, 10:47
Everything is much better now. Just wondering though the little bumps of scar tissue from the incision will those ever go away? They seem to be getting smaller but it's kinda annoying.

MoonlightBiker
12-27-07, 13:33
Bootycall are you kidding? You want me to not do something today because of what you went through 37 years ago? Should I not buy a 2008 Ford Escalade because they built a shitty Pinto in 1971? Do you have any idea how far science has advanced in 37 years?

I don't know about anyone else but the research I'm doing is all based on the last 3 years and around guys my own age. Seems like this would be good advice for anyone else considering this procedure.

Seva Lurker
12-27-07, 16:00
I had a vasectomy over twenty years ago. There were minor problems with the left side and there is still a small nodule. The right side cleared up years ago (anyway, I can't feel it as much as the left side). Though when I've gone in for a physical, the Dr. can apparently still feel something. He'll ask if I've had a vasectomy. :D

The overall procedure went smoothly, having a needle stuck into the sac for the anesthetic wasn't fun, but it wasn't all that painful either. I had the operation on a Friday morning. I spent that day freezing my nuts off (literally with an ice pack) and taking Tylenol with Codine. I was up walking around (gingerly and with a jock strap) the next day. I didn't do any heavy lifting for a couple of weeks and I was ready for action after that.

If you haven't done anything to aggrivate the inscions, you should be fine. While the Dr. was doing mine, he reiterated things not to do. One of which was a story about a guy he done a V on previously. Because it is minor surgery, the guy got the day off (I had mine done while in the AF). So the guy took advantage of it and went out riding his dirt bike.

To provide as much recooperation time as possible, this Dr. typically did the operation on a Friday. Then Monday was a short follow up to make sure everything was okay. Mr Dirt Bike showed up with two minor problems. His testicles were swollen to the size of an orange.

I would not be surprised if he has the littel nodules (and maybe one or two other reminders) to this day.

If you are having problems a week after the operation, check with your Doctor. Everyone reacts and recovers differently.

Ebhunter
12-27-07, 20:26
Bootycall are you kidding? You want me to not do something today because of what you went through 37 years ago? Should I not buy a 2008 Ford Escalade because they built a shitty Pinto in 1971? Do you have any idea how far science has advanced in 37 years?

I don't know about anyone else but the research I'm doing is all based on the last 3 years and around guys my own age. Seems like this would be good advice for anyone else considering this procedure.I agree with MLB I think medical procedures have come a long way over the years. As I said I had a V three years ago and I can't see a scar, or feel anything that would indicate I ever had a V.

Lobo Karlov
10-30-09, 00:28
A friend of mine got one about a year ago. He has two kids and didn't want more. I was intruiged because I've consider getting one myself. Other than feeling a bit uncomfortable after the procedure, everything went well. He told me the pain was more like the soreness after a workout and it was very tolerable. I definetley want to get this done myself.

Fbtom
10-30-09, 19:12
I got that done about eight years ago. My only problem was swelling. I worked in an office, so sitting for hours was a little uncomfortable. My suggestion is to get it done just before a holiday weekend where you can stretch out the time away from work with one or two days added.

Lobo Karlov
11-03-09, 11:16
I got that done about eight years ago. My only problem was swelling. I worked in an office, so sitting for hours was a little uncomfortable. My suggestion is to get it done just before a holiday weekend where you can stretch out the time away from work with one or two days added.I really hope this Obama plan goes through so I can get get it done for free.

Fbtom
11-04-09, 09:47
I really hope this Obama plan goes through so I can get get it done for free.

LOL! I wasn't commenting about losing work time or costs at all. Merely pointing out that sitting in an office all day after having mine done was quite uncomfortable.

Wiregrass
10-12-14, 19:23
Sounds like y'all are scaring many men-folk from ever considering this, so here's my counter balancing story.

I had my cut done the day before thanksgiving, in 1984. My biggest pain was mental, the embarrassment; first when the old nurse did a final betadyne? scrubbing / razor cleanup work, followed by the numerous surrounding / observing army medics in training (to include a female young enough to be my own) and finally the wise-cracking Dr. that actually did the procedure. Most fortunately the Army had sent me several hundred miles away as my post couldn't perform this. Meaning I never saw any of them again (I think).

The Dr. advised I wear a cup for 10 days, which I did, because I was expected to continue most normal activities, just with limited army physical training, then back to a full regular routine. When the cup was removed for showers I did feel like my balls sunk to the floor! I also remember they used stitches that self-dissolved, and they pinched as they dried out. That had me discreetly massaging down there trying to relieve the feelingof ants doing their work.

Would I do it again, ABSOLUTLY!

I just realized, that was nearly 30 years ago.

SaulDurian
12-02-14, 20:54
I had one done a few months ago, not too painful at all, healed up nicely, and now, no more kiddos.

BlewDog595
01-05-15, 14:33
I had one about 10 years ago after my divorce. Knew I did not want to start over / be tricked / set up. That's another story a year later ha ha.

Doc told me to put ice on my boys to keep the swelling down -he had seen some get the the size of grapefruit. Well that was all I needed to hear. Ice is your friend and we got quite intimate over the next 48 hours or so. Definitely was in the ice ages, once you got use to it, not bad at all. After a few days basically back to normal. Returned for a swimmer check and go to go.

Definitely less discomfort that when my ex had her tubes tied. Had I know that I would have gone first, chivalry is still alive.

FlowMaster
03-03-15, 21:38
I was snipped about 13 years ago. I did some research online ahead of time and found a good write up on what is called open ended vasectomy. The difference is the cauterize the dick side of the vas and leave the ball side open. This lets the ball side still work as normal the stuff that it would normally send out just goes inside you I suppose.

In any event after it was done I didn't really experience much of any discomfort. Other than the cuts on the sides of my sack I was good to go. No ball swelling or anything.

Friends of mine that had it done the regular way experienced experienced ball swelling.

I had to call around to find one that did it as open ended, most Dr's either said they never heard of it or just wouldn't do it that way.

KaliMan
03-14-15, 16:31
I got snipped about 30 years ago. They cauterized both sizes of the vas, saying that I could develop an auto-allergy if I let it just dump into my sack.

I had a case of epididymitis once in my early 20's. Not pleasant. Since the vas I get epididymitis maybe once a year. It isn't so bad if you take a z-pac to eliminate the inflammation (takes about a day to feel better), but early on I had a doctor mis-treat me with Cipro (a totally kick-ass antibiotic) that ended up damaging my hearing.

I am not trying to scare anyone off. I'm still glad I got it. Just make sure that if you get epididymitis (a common side-effect) that it is treated correctly.

Junkman
05-19-15, 00:35
I had one done about 3 years ago and was very surprised at how smooth everything went. I had some discomfort for a week or two after the procedure and the stitches dissolved on their own. There was a little bleeding the first few days were the stitches were, but the doctor told me that would be normal. I'm very glad I did it and wished I had done it years earlier but was nervous. Like other members here posted, I had it done after a divorce. The doctor I went to is in New York City and I'd be happy to refer you. If you are thinking of having this done, Go for it and good luck!

Enjoy!!

DaveFromGL
04-17-16, 14:54
I had mine done right in the doctor's office in the late '90's, no problems or pain at all, and was back getting gentle oral from my girl about 8 days later. The surgery also helped me discover how much girls appreciate it when you're well-groomed / man-scaped.

Another side-benefit I learned from the ladies afterward is that with the absence of swimmers, your cum will likely lose most if not all of its salty flavor, which a lot of girls say makes it taste better since many girls aren't big fans of the saltiness to begin with. That also gives them one less excuse on their list.