PDA

View Full Version : Maps for California visitors

KC Questor
08-22-06, 02:17
This may not be of interest to California natives, but as a visitor to the LA area this has helped me a lot. I would never know which forum to look in when I was in LA, because I would often have no idea where the suburb I was in was in relation to the area and which of the forums would best fit. Arcadia? West Covina? Yorba Linda? None of them are listed.

So, I made this map in Google Earth. I had to turn off all the suburb names to make it readable, but the roads are still there. I just look up where I am staying and note the highways nearby and then refer to this map. So I can see that Arcadia is close to Pasadena and the San Gabriel Valley, West Covina is close to City of Industry, and Yorba Linda is probably Fullerton or Anaheim.

Click the link to see a scaled down version, then clcik the picture to see it full sized (easier to read. You can save a copy to your computer too by right clicking the full sized image and choosing save image.

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/4969/laareamr4.th.jpg (http://img237.imageshack.us/my.php?image=laareamr4.jpg)

PS, if any of my markers are off (especially Orange County, which I just placed in the middle of the county), let me know and I can move them.

Jedi1
10-11-06, 03:38
San Gabriel Valley is way off on this map.

Stew2
10-13-06, 00:52
hey that's a nice idea... but the SG valley is a bit off. Try moving so that it is southeast of Pasadena - moving it to the right with the word "san" right where you currently have Valley should be about right

Tsboy69
10-17-06, 03:37
I have lived in the San Gabriel Valley all of my life. The SG Valley is considered to consist from the:

West - The 710 (Long Beach Freeway) that ends at the San Bernardino Freeway (10)

South - The Pomona Freeway (60)

North - Basically the 210 Freeway (it actually extends up above Pasadena a bit)

East - The Orange Freeway (57)

IMHO I would put the San Gabriel Valley 'spot' at the intersection of the San Bernardino Freeway (10) and the 605 Freeway...

While we are at it, I would suggest putting the Pasadena and the City of Industry topics into the SGV listing....FWIW

Scavenger
10-28-06, 15:37
The spot where labeled SGV on the Map is fine. It's right around at San Gabriel Blvd. and Valley Blvd. That's where the center of action is.

City of Industry and Hacienda Hts are quite a geographic area of its own. Pasadena enjoyed its own "supreme" status for over 150 yrs; it prides itself on its heritage, culture, Rose Parades.

So I think Pasadena and City of Industry should have their own board as it is now.

Geographically SGV may span East to West from 710 to 57, but in reality there is no action from 605 to 57 except some parlors in Baldwin Park.

Only until recently Arcadia and Temple City has a little action, definitely no SW, only AMP condos or apt., so it fits well into SGV for now.

I have lived in the San Gabriel Valley all of my life. The SG Valley is considered to consist from the:

West - The 710 (Long Beach Freeway) that ends at the San Bernardino Freeway (10)

South - The Pomona Freeway (60)

North - Basically the 210 Freeway (it actually extends up above Pasadena a bit)

East - The Orange Freeway (57)

IMHO I would put the San Gabriel Valley 'spot' at the intersection of the San Bernardino Freeway (10) and the 605 Freeway...

While we are at it, I would suggest putting the Pasadena and the City of Industry topics into the SGV listing....FWIW