PDA

View Full Version : Caller ID Spoofing

Spazen
02-06-06, 22:56
I've never wanted to call an AMP from any phone which I am directly connected to because those pesky little caller ID boxes log calls and I'd hate to have my number show up on one at the wrong time in an AMP.

Now, it's possible to spoof caller ID as cheaply as $8.00/100 minutes with a call to a toll free number. There are some safegaurds built in to the service.

So, do any of you have any good ideas on which number to use as the spoofed number?

Some ideas:
A pay phone number (Some can be called and others may not be able to)
A number that always answers with a recording.

The calling card I was using passes caller ID to the called party.

Spazen

Timber Tree
02-07-06, 00:50
I suggest getting a prepaid phone. You can get one on Ebay. Get an out of state phone number. It doesn't matter even if it a local phone number, as long as it is a prepaid. Keep it with you or toss it aside, it's a great backup phone without getting into a phone plan. Every once in a while there are great deals good deals in Staples for a prepaid phone.

Do what people in Asia and Europe do. Get a prepaid SIM.
You can get as low as $0.10/minute. I think it's a very good deal.
No billing statement, no monthly contracts, No trace on your phone activity (great if you have nosy roomates, family members, or GFs).

Rhettdog
02-07-06, 20:35
Hey Spazen I know you don't know me from jack but I have a little bit of info for you if you don't want to get a prepaid phone"they are great though I have one myself" try dialing *67 it blocks caller ID and the best part about it they tell you that in the front part of the phone book. good luck with what ever you do

I've never wanted to call an AMP from any phone which I am directly connected to because those pesky little caller ID boxes log calls and I'd hate to have my number show up on one at the wrong time in an AMP.

Now, it's possible to spoof caller ID as cheaply as $8.00/100 minutes with a call to a toll free number. There are some safegaurds built in to the service.

So, do any of you have any good ideas on which number to use as the spoofed number?

Some ideas:
A pay phone number (Some can be called and others may not be able to)
A number that always answers with a recording.

Spazen

Sexmoron
02-07-06, 22:38

SpazenI get my calling cards from Krogers. At 39.00 for 1000 minutes it breaks down to like four cents a minute. Does not give your phone number.

Ronald Jeramy
04-30-06, 12:12
Most pro's don't answer calls that are blocked. So *67 won't do it. My vote is for the old calling card.

Permanent Wood
11-06-09, 10:50
Yes, calling cards USED to not reveal the callers phone number, not anymore, nor has it been that way for at least a couple years. Somewhere in 2006-2007 I believe that changed. The number that used to show up instead of your own was a number based out of somewhere in Colorado (and there were a few others). The number was registered with one of the big phone companies, whoever issued the calling card.

Fbtom
11-09-09, 23:57
Just a note...
*67 does NOT block your caller ID if you are calling a business that has an 800 number type of service. The prepaid phone is a great idea.
Also, some business' will not accept blocked numbers or calls from payphones.

Tonsil Hockey
11-13-09, 17:25
Yes, calling cards USED to not reveal the callers phone number, not anymore, nor has it been that way for at least a couple years. Somewhere in 2006-2007 I believe that changed. The number that used to show up instead of your own was a number based out of somewhere in Colorado (and there were a few others). The number was registered with one of the big phone companies, whoever issued the calling card.There is a brand of calling card, "EXTREME", sold in many convenience stores, in $2.00, $5.00 and $10.00 denominations. The card is mostly yellow in color, with red and black lettering. They are still totally blocked, and give a fair value for the money. They are minute for minute in state, with a 5-min fee for out of state calls.

Camden Lover
12-12-09, 22:17
So, do any of you have any good ideas on which number to use as the spoofed number?I am new here so please bare with me but my suggestion is to get a Google Voice number. This number is a number only associated to a Google/Gmail account. If you have a smart phone, you can use certain apps of the phone to call any number you want without providing your real number. The Google Voice number appears on the caller ID and not your real number.

The drawback is that Google Voice is by invite only for right now. Here is a link to some more information. I have two Google Voice numbers and have an request in for another invite to get a third.

http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html