PDA

View Full Version : Hammond Ind. Stay Away

Warner
06-21-05, 02:45
STINGS are an on-going event in Hammond Indiana. Just avoid Hammond altogether. They catch guys every day.

This story ran on nwitimes.com on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 1:16 AM CDT

'Prostitute' reels in 3 arrests in 90 minutes

BY JIM MASTERS
Times Correspondent
HAMMOND | Three men had their lunch hour interrupted Monday when they were caught up in a Hammond police reverse prostitution sting.

A female police officer served as the bait as police reeled in three suspected Johns in rapid succession between 11:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. near the intersection of State Line Avenue and Williams Street.

[Name deleted by Admin] were arrested on probable cause charges of patronizing a prostitute, a Class A misdemeanor, said Sgt. Michael Jorden, Hammond police spokesman.

The suspects were required to post bond and had their vehicles impounded.

Bond is $1,000 for Indiana residents, $2,000 for those out of state.

Jorden said the department is intensifying its vice patrols along State Line, an area bordering Calumet City and long regarded as a "sin strip." Monthly prostitution stings will now be the norm.

"The situation is better than it was years ago, but there's obviously a problem here," Jorden said. "We're taking a zero tolerance approach and will continue to until we've eradicated the problem."

Jorden said the department will make a point of releasing the names and addresses of men arrested for sexual solicitation along with suspected prostitutes to the media.

"All their friends and neighbors will see what they do," he said.

Old habits apparently die hard along State Line, which used to be home to several strip clubs. Jorden said people who cross the border should realize that the Hammond and Calumet City police departments share up-to-the-minute information.

"One man we arrested made a comment that he wasn't doing anything wrong, saying he had just dropped his wife off for work," Jorden said.

He noted that a known prostitute, realizing a sting operation was under way, made obscene gestures toward police from the Calumet City side of the street. Residents called police notifying them of prostitution activity, not realizing the woman on the Hammond side was an undercover police officer.

About a week ago, Calumet City police conducted a prostitution sting, making several arrests.

Hammond's female officer, who asked that her name not be printed, said she had been looking forward to working a prostitution sting since she joined the police force a little more than a year ago.

She agreed to a $20 price for sex, with one man offering crack cocaine, although no drugs were recovered, she said.

The officer said that, personally, she saw the operation as a social experiment, and hoped it would send a message to men who might consider frequenting the area again in search for sex.

EDITOR's NOTE: Posting of this report was delayed pending the removal of the names or persons who were arrested from within in the text. To avoid delays in future reports containing news stories of law enforcement actions, please overwrite or delete the names of persons who were arrested. Thanks!

FYI, posting news reports of law enforcement actions in public forums, and specifically the names of those who were arrested, is a common ploy of LE. It's the same as getting their drug-smelling dog on TV: They can stop more activity with the media story than they could possibly do individually. This is why the Forum does not permit the posting of the names of arrestees, and why individual Forum Members are limited to posting one such report per year.

Vinny Voom
06-22-05, 00:22
STINGS are an on-going event in Hammond Indiana. Just avoid Hammond altogether. They catch guys every day.Truly amazing! They do NOTHING to stop the real crime like burglary & theft, but they put endless concentrated energy into cleaning up the SW on State Line. I know someone who's had their car broken into 4 times at the same address in this area in two years. They can't seem to catch 'em. I've had theft, attempted theft, and vandalism issues over the last few years. They can't seem to prevent it. Yet, come hell or high-water they will goddamned stop the prostitution!

Again, absolutely fuckin' incredible!

One Putt
09-09-05, 19:55
Please refer to Warner's post. I am in this area 3 times per week around
11:30 to 1:30 for a regular appointment at St. Margaret Mercy Hospital. I always I check the stroll for SW action. I've seen many unmarked LE in black Ford Crown Victorias.

Today I was stopped on Stateline at the intersection about 3 blocks south of George's Gyros when a knockout BSW walked out into the intersection and stopped traffic, smiled, posed and waited for my reaction. Guys, If I wasn't pressed for time I would have gone for it and probably gotten busted she was that hot. It was about 12:00 noon, the same time frame as Warners report. This girl was so good looking (compared to the normal SW'w in this area) she had to be LE working a sting.

I came back looking for her after my appointment around 1:30 pm and she was gone.

My encounter seems to confirm the place and time of day of the stings in the Stateline Rd stroll area reported by Warner.

Beware, this girl is smoking hot, but dressed down to fit into the area. The type you want to grab right now because if you don't the next guy will. Very unusual for this area.

I hope I'm wrong and she turns out to be a regular provider.