PDA

View Full Version : BIRTH CONTROL + PLAN B + Levonorgestrel 1. 5 mg

Cephlapod Love
02-03-17, 15:01
Didn't see a thread on the topic of birth control, so I started this one. Anything B/C related is fair game here. (er, except condoms!)

I keep a few of the 1. 5 mg Levonorgestrel (active ingredient in the Plan B pill) pills around as a fail safe. Have had an occasion where a condom broke or in the heat of things we went BB, so in those cases it was nice to have a "Plan B" around to ease everyone's concern. These pills are NOT to be used as an alternative to regular birth control methods and only as emergency contraception.

The active ingredient Levonorgestrel is one of the active ingredients in regular (daily use) birth control pills. I think at 1. 5 mg it is 2 X the normal dosage.

Yeah, sure one can buy Plan B pills in the USA drugstore, but prices are high in the 35 to 55 range. Just like ED pills one can buy generics, or the 1. 5 mg Levonorgestrel pills online from India. Toss a few in with one's next ED order. Prices online seem to range from $15 to $25. Not too bad for a bit of insurance!

The only thing I would caution is to make sure that what you get is 1. 5 mg of Levonorgestrel IN ONE PILL and NOT two pills. The one pill is taken once the two pills are taken 12 hours apart. So if you go that route, you have to trust that a very busy 20-something is going to remember to take the second pill on time.

Here are a few of what the generics look like. No idea if these Indian pharmas do QA / QC, but assume it is like the ED pills. Mostly good!

Just another tool in the well-equipped, well-prepared monger kit!

Dolato
02-16-17, 01:27
The generic one can be purchased on Amazon for about $25. It'll be the My Way brand that's pictured below. If you need to be discreet, you may have the option to have them delivered to nearby Amazon boxes rather than getting it sent to your home.

Oldmonger
02-16-17, 02:03
My Question comes from this. I bought some "Plan B pills" manufactured by Mankind and now wonder of the wisdom of that move. Said pills are for emergency situations and need to function as advertised. It is one thing to get a "bad batch" of pecker pills and fail to get an erection when one wants. A minor inconvenience in the larger scheme of things. But a bad batch of Plan B that does not do its "thing" could have financial repercussion for decades. Something more than a minor inconvenience.

So wondering if Mankind is likely legit or shady.When I read your original post, I thought it was a great idea to keep a morning after pill for emergencies.

But since I know nothing about Levonorgestrel, I wanted to get more info before I responded.

I don't know what led you to buy the Mankind product. Similar products (with FDA approval) might be available over the counter from US pharmacies.

There's a short window for these pills to work, and they won't work for every woman. For some brands, the window is 72 hours.

I won't write more until I have more background information.

Good luck!

Cephlapod Love
02-16-17, 10:41
I don't know what led you to buy the Mankind product. Similar products (with FDA approval) might be available over the counter from US pharmacies.Same reason why we buy ED pills from ADC or JCM - Cost!.

In fact, ADC's offerings of 1.5 mg Levonorgestrel (I-Pill, a Plan B generic) are under $10 before shipping ($5.95). So if one is buying ED pills, tossing a few 1. 5 mg Levonorgestrel tabs into the order is inconsequential.

As far as usage goes, IF I need to dispense one it is done within minutes or couple of hours of the unprotected sex. A fail safe. Those chasing the 72-hour window are likely those who get drunk / high and engage risky behavior and after sobering up and much hand-wringing, trundle off to the drug store to get something to avoid preggers. Of course if anyone reads the instructions that come with any medicine, the 72-hour window for Levonorgestrel is explicitly clear. It also says the effectiveness is higher the closer the pill is taken to the unprotected sex- so I assume more effective at 2 hours vs 24 hours. More effective at 24 hours vs 48 hours, and so forth. But have not researched "effectiveness curves" if in fact any exist?

But you raise a good point on the time. One needs to have the Levonorgestrel tab on hand to use shortly after the "incident. " No time to order from India AND if one orders off of ebay / Amazon they better pay up for expedited, next day shipping and hope it can be taken within a window that is effective. OR pay full price in a local Pharmacy. Also, as far as "dispensing" goes, I unpackage the pill and hand it to the girl with a glass of water and watch her take it.

I looked at the Mankind website and as such it looks like a going concern. It is small granted- anything under a billion in gross revenues in the pharma industry? But the key thing would be how stringent the QA / QC procedures that are in place and if well enforced.

Oldmonger
02-16-17, 16:15
It's a trade-off. You make a choice and then you have to live with the consequences.

BTW, how many morning after pills have you needed to supply? I have not discussed this topic with anyone else, so I am not aware of the degree of the need. Sadly, these days, most of my sex partners are post menopausal, so unwanted pregnancies are the least of my worries.

Same reason why we buy ED pills from ADC or JCM - Cost!.

In fact, ADC's offerings of 1.5 mg Levonorgestrel (I-Pill, a Plan B generic) are under $10 before shipping ($5.95). So if one is buying ED pills, tossing a few 1. 5 mg Levonorgestrel tabs into the order is inconsequential.

As far as usage goes, IF I need to dispense one it is done within minutes or couple of hours of the unprotected sex. A fail safe. Those chasing the 72-hour window are likely those who get drunk / high and engage risky behavior and after sobering up and much hand-wringing, trundle off to the drug store to get something to avoid preggers. Of course if anyone reads the instructions that come with any medicine, the 72-hour window for Levonorgestrel is explicitly clear. It also says the effectiveness is higher the closer the pill is taken to the unprotected sex- so I assume more effective at 2 hours vs 24 hours. More effective at 24 hours vs 48 hours, and so forth. But have not researched "effectiveness curves" if in fact any exist?

But you raise a good point on the time. One needs to have the Levonorgestrel tab on hand to use shortly after the "incident. " No time to order from India AND if one orders off of ebay / Amazon they better pay up for expedited, next day shipping and hope it can be taken within a window that is effective. OR pay full price in a local Pharmacy. Also, as far as "dispensing" goes, I unpackage the pill and hand it to the girl with a glass of water and watch her take it.

I looked at the Mankind website and as such it looks like a going concern. It is small granted- anything under a billion in gross revenues in the pharma industry? But the key thing would be how stringent the QA / QC procedures that are in place and if well enforced.

Dolato
02-19-17, 07:15
It's a trade-off. You make a choice and then you have to live with the consequences.

BTW, how many morning after pills have you needed to supply? I have not discussed this topic with anyone else, so I am not aware of the degree of the need. Sadly, these days, most of my sex partners are post menopausal, so unwanted pregnancies are the least of my worries.I carried at least 1 with me in my overnight bag in the sugar bowl days. Probably went through about a dozen total. With the younger ones, the odds were low on them being on bc while the odds were high that they'd give up bb with creampies. It's too much trouble to make last minute stops to get it and even the name brand can be had for less online.

Jayp80
05-21-17, 16:56
Just make sure the lady knows you're giving it to them and don't just slip it to her. There are a couple cases in the news where a guy gave a girl morning after pills without their knowledge and were arrested.

Oldmonger
05-23-17, 18:52
I carried at least 1 with me in my overnight bag in the sugar bowl days. Probably went through about a dozen total. With the younger ones, the odds were low on them being on bc while the odds were high that they'd give up bb with creampies. It's too much trouble to make last minute stops to get it and even the name brand can be had for less online.If a woman has been drinking and / or drugging, and vomits shortly after taking the pill, the pill will not work. Either wait until her stomach settles, or consider a second dose if she upchucked the first one.