PDA

View Full Version : Computer Question

JaggOff
06-29-15, 13:08
I'm thinking about replacing my laptop and I would like to know what I should look for. I will be buying a windows based laptop that is used primarily for web surfing. The one I have now seems to be freezing up more and more so I was wondering what I should look for as far as CPU and memory.

Thanks.

Centaur1987
07-29-15, 22:45
I'm thinking about replacing my laptop and I would like to know what I should look for. I will be buying a windows based laptop that is used primarily for web surfing. The one I have now seems to be freezing up more and more so I was wondering what I should look for as far as CPU and memory.

Thanks.Looks like you are at least semi-local to NEOH.

My first computer was a Timex Sinclair 1000 around 1982, and the next several were all purchased brand new: 286 desktop, Cumulus 386 notebook (Ohio made), custom locally built 486 desktop, an Acer Aspire desktop, and the original iMac. Each of those were purchased shortly after the came out; cutting edge technology. I vowed never to spend so much money on computers again, as each one of those systems were well over $1,000 and quickly became functionally obsolete. Since then, I've just been buying refurbished Windows systems from Micro Center in Mayfield Heights (also stores in Columbus and Sharronville / Cincy).

http://www.microcenter.com/

It's so much cheaper, and their staff are very knowledgeable. Currently have an old (bought in early 2007) 2. 2 GHz HP / Compaq Presario desktop still running under XP and not connected to the internet any longer for that reason, which runs all my old productivity software. For internet use, using a Windows 7 2 GHz Dell Latitude laptop ($250 base price in 2012, memory additional). Both are refurbished from Micro Center, and I just bought the max memory at purchase time; used to be a computer guy so just installed myself. They will install the memory for you, and can also direct you to any desired optional accessories, like DVD writers, etc.

They're local, knowledgeable, and competitively priced. Hope this helps in your quest.

Centaur1987
08-03-15, 19:27
Microsoft's Windows 10 is spying on nearly everything its users do, and anyone who agreed to the operating system's new terms of service consented to the surveillance, whether knowingly or otherwise.

Included in Microsoft's new 12,000-word service agreement, which goes into effect August 1, is the following excerpt from the privacy policy:

"We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to. ".

Read More at:

http://www.sott.net/article/299628-Windows-10-spies-on-almost-everything-you-do-unless-you-opt-out

CashonTheTable
08-04-15, 18:08
Microsoft's Windows 10 is spying on nearly everything its users do, and anyone who agreed to the operating system's new terms of service consented to the surveillance, whether knowingly or otherwise.

Included in Microsoft's new 12,000-word service agreement, which goes into effect August 1, is the following excerpt from the privacy policy:

"We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to. ".

Read More at:

http://www.sott.net/article/299628-Windows-10-spies-on-almost-everything-you-do-unless-you-opt-outWas just considering upgrading today, think I will wait.

Torchkit
08-04-15, 23:19

Read More at:

http://www.sott.net/article/299628-Windows-10-spies-on-almost-everything-you-do-unless-you-opt-outThose functions can be disabled.

Monaco GP
08-05-15, 07:52
Those functions can be disabled.I have only cursory knowledge of 10 so far. In legalese, the statement quoted from the EULA, sure gives Msofr free reign to do what they want. I'm interested in where this disable feature is. To add to the invasion of privacy, running 10 on a local account make many of the "features" unusable. Logging in with an email leaves your email as the name on the cookie set on every server you visit.

Torchkit
08-06-15, 00:01
I have only cursory knowledge of 10 so far. In legalese, the statement quoted from the EULA, sure gives Msofr free reign to do what they want. I'm interested in where this disable feature is. To add to the invasion of privacy, running 10 on a local account make many of the "features" unusable. Logging in with an email leaves your email as the name on the cookie set on every server you visit.I'm not sure (I don't have 10), I had just read an article on (maybe) Yahoo Tech that gave step by step instructions to disable a bunch of the 10 tracking. It did say the disable features are pretty well hidden.

This isn't the article I read, but covers most of the same stuff.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-secure-windows-10-the-paranoids-guide/#ftag=RSSbaffb68