PDA

View Full Version : Posting Guidelines

Admin
08-17-03, 22:30
Please select "Add New Report" to begin this section.

Good Neighbor
08-18-03, 08:49
Dear Jackson,

I think your proposed posting rules make perfect sense. As a reader, and occassional poster, I find the well written posts much easier to read, and they are much more useful in the information they report.

Many thanks for all you do,

Good Neighbor

HeadGames
08-18-03, 10:05
Jackson,

I'm a purist for grammar and punctuation, and it hurts my eyes when I see "u" instead of "you", because I think if enough people do this, some idiot at my kids' school will tell them that "u" is a now a valid spelling of the English personal pronoun, and my kids will then grow up to work at MacDonald's instead of becoming doctors or engineers, because they can't spell. Not that my kids haunt this forum, but this crap is all over the place. You have to monitor your little corner of the universe and just hope enough other people take care of theirs.

I reviewed all the posting guidelines, and I think they're great.

Me

Hugh Jardon
08-18-03, 10:47
I, too, cannot stand the "chatroom" style of writing.
I think your proposed rules are quite reasonable and back you whole-heartedly.
Thanks for providing this forum.

Ynot
08-18-03, 12:12
Jackson,

I've read your suggestions regarding Posting Guidelines and I've also seen your numerous efforts to hold contributors to a minimum standard for posting. I have never seen anything that seems unreasonable. Punctuation exists to make someone else's thoughts and words easily understandable. Like you said, most of us have gone through elementary school. Poor punctuation wasn't acceptable then and it shouldn't be acceptable now. I still consider it a privilege to participate on this forum, not a God-given right. If I don't follow the rules of this board, you would have every right to ban me, and the same should hold true for others.

Again, thank you for letting everyone get involved in the decisions to operate this forum. Few administrators would do the same. Keep up the great work!

Aviator
08-18-03, 14:15
First, thanks for the opportunity to comment on the way the forum is run. I really appreciate it. On to your specific questions:

Do we need Posting Guidelines? Yep - absolutely. Otherwise, if you sanction someone for their posts, you are open to the charge of being arbitrary. Also, guidelines help newbies become good posters which helps right from the beginning.

Do you think that Posting Guidelines improve the readability of the Forum? Definitely

Are the Guidelines to restrictive? Nope

Do you believe that the Posting Guidelines will deter potential contributions? No I do not. Seems like it helps everyone.

Should contributors be held to minimum writing requirements? Probably not. I still can not spel ;-), so I would be down for the count in a second if this was a basic requirement. Also, it seems like it would take a lot of your time to determine and fix stuff to meet minimum writing requirements. Keep it simple.

Do you believe that we should allow contributions in chat room style? Nope - save that for a chat room

Do you think I should post an Editors Note at the bottom of edited reports? Yes - I think this helps people in each local forum know where your guidelines are and also allows posters to see their mistakes and fix them (again, less work for you in the long run).

Would you suggest another method of advising members that their reports had to be edited to comply with the Posting Guidelines? This seems reasonable and low effort for you.

How do other forums handle this situation? Most do not. And the forum suffers as a result.

You did not ask for specific comment on the SPAM guidelines, but I think the guidelines are great. Should you add a two strikes and you are out clause? (Okay - make it one strike...).

Aviator

Abig One
08-18-03, 14:46
Jackson,

Here are my thoughts on the questions you asked regarding Posting Guidelines:

1. Do we need Posting Guidelines?

Obviously we do because there seems to be so many people who just don't get it and use bad writing style. Before I began posting, I read the guidelines and tried to follow them to the best of my ability. This helped me to know what is acceptable and what is not. Others should be able to do the same.

2. Do you think that Posting Guidelines improve the readability of the Forum?

Yes, they definitely do.

3. Are the Guidelines too restrictive?

No, the guidelines are fair and reasonable. If they were less restrictive, then it would *de*facto* make the information "more restricted" in the sense that it would be harder to read and understand.

4. Do you believe that the Posting Guidelines will deter potential contributions?

I hope note, and I do not believe they will. What postings they may deter, I would not want to read anyway.

5. Should contributors be held to minimum writing requirements?

Absolutely! These are *written* reports, you know.

6. Do you believe that we should allow contributions in chat room style?

No. The chat room style bothers me, even in chat rooms.

7. Do you think I should post an Editors Note at the bottom of edited reports?

If you have the time and are willing, sure.

8. Would you suggest another method of advising members that their reports had to be edited to comply with the Posting Guidelines?

Well, you could just not allow their notes to post at all, and when they write to ask you about it, you can send out a canned email that includes the Posting Guidelines and asks the author to resubmit their posts in compliance with the guidelines. If they don't write to ask why the note was not posted, or if they do not edit their note and resubmit it, then forget it. Unless . . . you, having read the report, feel the content is worth the time and effort to edit. But that is up to you. You can clearly state, up front, that any deviation from the standard Posting Guidelines will cause the report to not be posted.

9. How do other forums handle this situation?

The only other forums that I am aware of on this subject have forms you fill out with the basic information, and the narrative section is rather limited.

Well, that is all I have for now. Thanks, Jackson, for a great board. Keep up the good work!

--Alan

Real-Thrill
08-18-03, 15:47
1. Do we need Posting Guidelines? Yes, we need posting guidelines. I don't like reading messages in all caps.

2. Do you think that Posting Guidelines improve the readability of the Forum? Yes

3. Are the Guidelines to restrictive? No they are not restrictive, they are simply a guide to ease the readability of postings.

4. Do you believe that the Posting Guidelines will deter potential contributions? No, not at all, most of the people posting are educated enough that they should be able to write pretty well.

5. Should contributors be held to minimum writing requirements? No, because some older people have a hard time with this. As long as they are making an attempt to write cleanly and concisely, go for it.

6. Do you believe that we should allow contributions in chat room style? No, too many acronyms, abbreciations and poor style to understand. Most people should be able to write in simple sentences ot compound sentences to get their message across.

7. Do you think I should post an Editors Note at the bottom of edited reports? Yes, I like to see that you are looking and reviewing. If you go the route of bringing on moderators, then it would be those moderators posting messages instead of you. Tell us what's being edited so people can understand what's acceptable to you and what's not.

8. Would you suggest another method of advising members that their reports had to be edited to comply with the Posting Guidelines? No, Just put your notes at the bottom, everyone should catch on.

9. How do other forums handle this situation? They have a team that reviews all postings, and they sensore and send a private message back to the writer. I have seen many people resent that. I don't post there anymore because it is too much of a hassle. They won't give me credit for a report because I didn't type in the website. Heck, the banner ad was directly above my report and I put click on link above instead of typing the address.

lotsafun
08-18-03, 17:09
Right on! These guidelines will help to improve the usability of this site, something which we all share an interest in.

LAGNAF

Luv Latinas
08-18-03, 19:25
My nikels worth:

Yes! In order to keep organizaton and structure to this forum. Without it, it would turn this forum into a chat room. We all know what they are like.

2. Do think that Posting Guidelines improve the Readablity of the Forum?

Of course you said it best that ie. that it makes me think about what i am writing instead of just banging it out. Not that I always follow it. But it helps or forces me to think about it.

3. Are the Guidelines to restrictive.

At this point I dont believe so, yet I am new here.

4. Do you believe the Posting Guidelines deter future potential contributors?

Its possible, yet the only reasons I am here is because you and alot of of the members are serious. So am I, even if its a little more work than i care to do. You took the time to set this forum up for us, we should be able to follow some simple Posting Guidelines even if I am not the best or most articulate writer. You have not held it against me yet and you even upgraded me to a senior member.

Yes. Keep it simple and flexible like you do.

No. I believe it starts to degrade post and lends itself to misinterpretations.

7. Do you think I should Post an Editors Note at the bottom of an edited reports?

Absoultely! It also helps remind me to follow the Posting Guidelines that you choose us to follow and lets newcomers aware that this is unacceptable here.

8. Would you suggest another method of advising members that their reports had to be edited to comply with the Posting Guidelines?

So far I believe your method is effective and fair.

Have been mainly on chat style forums and it gets old, messy and can close a forum down if there is no structure and lax moderator or owner.

Thanks!

Randy Farang
08-18-03, 21:43
Jackson,

I, for one, fully support your efforts to make this forum an easily understandable discussion of a topic that is near, and dear, to each of us. There is no excuse for posts that are incomprehensable because the aren't written in clearly understandable English. (I understand, and fully accept the fact, that many of out international brothers are writing in English as a second, or third, language, and we obviously make exceptions for the sometimes quaint phrasing that results. They get high marks for effort, and they certainly do better in English that I probably could in their native language!)

You have taken on a major responsibility in maintaining this board and, I'm sure, it must often be a thankless job.

I want to say thank you for all of your efforts. This board is a worthwhile resource, and my only regret is that it wasn't available years ago when I was a frequent traveler to many spots around the globe. I now know that I missed many opportunities from lack of information. I hope that others will find that thier success rate on their travels is aided by the information shared here.

Thanks also for the return of the photos to the forum.

Randy

Anonymouse
08-18-03, 22:41
In reading over the new posting guidlines, I find them all readily acceptable. I would like to point out there is one area you may wish to expand upon since you are now giving us the capability of posting images. What constitutes an acceptable image. I for one find the idea of clogging the text database with images less than ideal. When I once provided you with photos of a young lady, you didn't post them for various legal reasons. Why have any of those reason gone away just because you will now allow members to post images? BE VERY CAREFUL on this slippery slope.
Regards and keep up the very good work!
A

Glenlivet
08-19-03, 06:49
Jackson,

the guideslines are very reasonable and the forum is very good, I only fear that it will become too time-consuming for you.

So just two thoughts:

Editing reports:
If a report does not meet the guidelines, look at it and decide whether the content is worth posting. If yes, edit it and post a message. If not, just do not post it.

Chatroom style and punctuation:
English is not my mother tongue, so uncorrect spelling and chatroom style is very hard to read for me (because I did not learn that at school). So please, on behalf of all contributers all over the world whose mother tongue is other than English, keep these guidelines!

Thank you
GL

Nat Zass
08-19-03, 08:59
Jackson;

I find your posting guidelines reasonable and acceptable. Your writing standards as such should be fine. I do believe that you may want to be specific regarding attachments. I'll attach one as an example. Your old posting guidelines of attaching pics of the ladies one has been intimate with should be acceptable.

BTW, would this attachment be acceptable in the joke section?

Nat

Jager
08-19-03, 17:53
Jackson, let me answer your questions:

Do we need Posting Guidelines? Yes, definitely

Do you think that Posting Guidelines improve the readability of the Forum? Yes, they will

Are the Guidelines to restrictive? No, you should be even more restrictive towards content. I am very tired of reading lengthy reports about some members screwing two different girls at the same day for example in Buenos Aires .........that does not assist in any way people who would like to get real helpful information.

The reason the discussion board exist in the first place in my opinion is......to provide information for each other.

The posters should be more considered and ask themself BEFORE they hit the submit button......what does member X get out of this post...or did I just post a story on how wonderful or how smart I am by having two girlfriends at once, while looking for a third one at a place we already know about.

Posters should be (forced) to ask themself BEFORE posting.....what NEW information are you providing for the rest of us, or are you just telling us...what a great potent guy you are.

Do you believe that the Posting Guidelines will deter potential contributions? No, see above, they should be even stricter in my opinion

Should contributors be held to minimum writing requirements? Yes, definitely

Do you believe that we should allow contributions in chat room style? No, you should insist on complete writing style

Do you think I should post an Editors Note at the bottom of edited reports? Yes, your time permitting

Would you suggest another method of advising members that their reports had to be edited to comply with the Posting Guidelines? Yes, tell them after the 2 or 3 edited post that they need to change their style and be more informative for example

How do other forums handle this situation? Some of them are stricter then you.

In my humble opinon you are still too nice, have the guts to be stricter and read some of the reports regarding NEW information and value for Joe who hasn't been to city XYZ.

Thanks for listening and for your time in trying to improve the board for us

Gladiator
08-19-03, 18:12
Hi Jackson,

I think posting guidelines are necessary and useful to keep certain order and clarity in the forum.

The guidelines that you have set out are sensible and it shouldn't represent any problem for anyone to follow them. I agree with all your guidelines, except with the one regarding the banned words: I don't see the point of banning those words because of 2 reasons:

1. Women can be denigrated in many different ways without having to resort to those 2 specific words, therefore banning these words does not prevent anyone from denigrating women.

2. As we all know, there are some occasions when women misbehave, to put it mildly, and this is particularly annoying when we have paid in advance for their services since we cannot recover our investment. I am convinced most members would agree that using either of those 2 words to describe such service providers is prefectly moral and does not represent any denigration of women in general, but just an accurate description of some few specific workers who, for some reason, are not suitable for that line of work. That is, banning those words would limit our vocabulary when it comes to relate bad experiences -and let's be realistic, bad experiences are unavoidable regardless of how experienced you are or how much you pay, though fortunately they are the exception rather than the rule.

With reference to the other guidelines, I particularly agree with stopping chatroom style posts: it doesn't take any effort to write properly and besides this is not one of those irrelevant chatrooms, this is a serious forum, dealing with the most serious of subjects: the science of pussy-hunting. I think information on this most important of all subjects should be written with some attention, and not as if you were chatting about BS with some young chick over the net.

Having said that, we must not forget that there are some posters with a poor knowledge of the English language, as you pointed out, and obviously posts that contain valuable information should be given the green light even if they contain a number of errors in their grammar, punctuation, format, etc. I suppose the decisive issue is to judge whether the errors come from lack of English language skills or from pure laziness and disinterest.

In any case, as their own name indicates, they are just guidelines and not strict rules, so I'm sure they will be a positive contribution to this wonderful forum and won't deter anybody who would like to share his knowledge or experiences with the rest of us.

Thanks for all your hard and constructive work, one day the science of pussy-hunting will be officially recognised and you will be the first to be awarded the Nobel Prize for the creation of this powerful tool.

One Man
08-19-03, 21:47
Jackson,

Excellent guidelines!

I would only add the word "****" to your list of denigrative terms for women. You might also want to add a link on the posting page to a pop-up summary of the guidelines once they have been posted

One Man

==============

Wear a condom out there...it protects me from you and vice versa!

Whome
08-19-03, 23:07
Jackson;

I ditto what HeadGames said. Your proposed guidlines are fair and reasonable. Chat room style is un-needed and simple english can be easier to read.

HamBone
08-20-03, 07:08
I agree completely with your suggested guidelines!

Loves Petites
08-20-03, 07:28
Hi Jackson, (edited by author 07:40 EST)

Here are some responses to your questions.

3. Are the Guidelines to restrictive?
This may be a somewhat separate topic, but I think might be good to take into account searchability as a part of readability. Specifically, it might be useful to have some conventions that will put the "Forum Search" function to full use. As the function restricts keywords to a minimum of three letters, words that would be useful to search, such as SW and LE and single initials of ladies, are rejected.

I propose a stated convention of posting single initials in quotes and expanding two-letter abbreviations with a period to make good use of our searching resources. I definitely suggest making the convention for initials optional.

No, I like the notion of building an easy-to-read long-term resource. I also agree with the notion that quality of posts will be more assured this way.

Seems like the best method available.

Thank you,
Lope

J.G.
08-20-03, 21:06
I would just like to say that with the addition of the photo gallery, the forum ROCKS. Another brilliant improvement by our illustrious leader. Congratulations!

Loves Petites
08-20-03, 21:41
Hello Jackson, a suggestion by Damocles:

I would suggest using '~' instead of '.' though. Might be confusing to have that many periods and not always know if its the end of a sentence or not.

Example : BN~, FE~, TL~, LE~

I like it,
Lope

Alaska Ski
08-21-03, 02:01
Jackson

I read over the suggest changes. I think they are on the mark. My only comment is not so picky on people posting. If they write like 3 graders let them.

Thanks

Cum On Her
08-21-03, 23:51
Jackson

Just curious if you look at the photos first before they get allowed onto the site. I personally think that they are a great idea, but the fact of the matter is if they are not monitored you never know what could be put up.

Senior member or not, I do think that you need to find a way to watch over these things to make sure the wrong type of pictures do not end up here.

I have looked through a couple of these pics and so far so good, no overly offensive pictures. On the other hand there were pictures that had nothing to do with this web site in my opinion. Or maybe they were just in the wrong place.

Jokes should belong in a joke section. Hobby pictures should belong in the area where the hobby was performed. No overly offensive material should be allowed onto the site.

I think that there should be a system to make sure that there are checks and balances.

Maybe just like your 24-48 hour delay for posts, you should have a mandatory 24-48 hour period for photos. This should include senior members too.

Just want to keep this site the best has been for years.

Joe Zop
08-22-03, 05:25
I'm very much in favor of posting guidelines -- the intent here is to promote sharing of information, and guidelines do this by providing clear boundaries for communication. The guidelines are not overly restrictive in the least, and they're simply not all that much to ask of posters. I don't at all see why such guidelines should deter potential contributors -- that's like saying that people won't post if you require them to register as opposed to use multiple handles, which has clearly not proven to be the case.

I'd agree that banning certain words probably only has so much effect, as people inevitably will work around that ban to convey the same sense. At the same time, banning such words does send an important message about preferred decorum and approach.

The editor's note is important, I think, for a couple of reasons. First, it sends the poster a message about usage requirements -- I rather doubt anyone's going to take such a message as a badge of honor, so it promotes behavioral change. At the same time, since board registration and handles assure that messages posted come from a particular member, a note also conveys the fact that these were not the registrant's original words verbatim, but instead are a version corrected to comply, so there is a chance some meaning may have shifted in some small way. That, again, should be a message to the poster that the only way to control content is to abide by the guidelines.

Chat room style simply promotes a lower degree of signal-to-noise, and is annoying and distracting. No one here wants to approach reports like they are hieroglyphics needing translation.

Ragman
08-22-03, 16:10
Are the Guidelines to restrictive?

Adding a spell checker before the Submit button can be displayed would benefit the readability and clarity of the Forum. It would not catch grammar or context errors (See above example) but would make people look at and think about their writings.

Ragman

Boom
08-22-03, 16:41
Amen! finally some guidelines. Good job Jackson.

Member #4074
08-22-03, 17:38
Jackson,

Your guidelines are right on! The only issue I have is your guideline regarding the use of the words "***** " and "*****". I feel that if a member desires to use these two common words, then they should be able to do so in the context of their sentences. This board is an excellent resource for exchanging information, but let's not get PC about it...we're all adults here.

Ditto on the spell-checker idea. That feature can alleviate a lot of your problems regarding mis-spelled words. Keep up the excellent work, bossman!

You may want to consider hiring reliable moderators who will help you police the boards, and take some of the load off your shoulders.

Just my 10 pesos worth.

JimmyDR
08-23-03, 11:54
I edit my post and it reverts back.
I add picures but they don't stay posted,

I agree with the rules about no links and all. I will try to post as many pictures as possible and I guess you want no references to clubs or other sites which is cool. Its hard for me to post all my pictures everywhere since I take so many but since this is my first site of posting I will try verty hard to post many pictures here. Its my favorite site now that it has pictures.

JimmyDR
08-23-03, 12:02
There are groups set up for their parties and if there are no links guys can't get on the lists?? How to Handle this?

Skinless
08-23-03, 12:04
Jimmy Dr: Your Colombian chick was not so good, If you are editing photos are you paying attention to the bottom left hand corner regarding the instructions on editing photos? I think a photo is worth 1000 words and Jackson will probably hae to limit ccess to them to members only as he did at the beginning.

NC Hunter
08-23-03, 21:24
Jackson,

Your guidelines are not restrictive at all. I especially don't like the chat room style myself. Another thing is the racial comments members make that I have addressed in other areas to you. keep up the good work.

NC Hunter

Hoehoehoe
08-24-03, 00:23
I agree with posting requirements. While it is easy to make a typo, simply sloppy writing really is hard to deal with.

I know this will really sound snobby, but when I see posts full of wear instead of where, pole instead of poll, and so on, ( I know, my lisst isn't very good) it creates the impression that the writer is very badly educated or very low in intelligence, and as such, you have to really suspect their judgement in this board's topic.

I don't expect this to be like freshman English at a good college, but some basic standards make a lot of sense.

Just my thoughts.

HHH

Le Grand
08-24-03, 07:29
Cumonher,

I agree with your concern about the potental of people posting inappropriate or even illegal (for US where this site presumably operates) photos such as child porn. However, instead of holding back every picture pending review, I wonder if it is sufficient for members, particularly senior memebers to report inappropriate posting using the button that already exists.

BTW: I can see fotos to be useful more than just sharing picture of the girl you have just bonked. The www.sex141.com site for hookers in Hong Kong has a very useful feature showing picture not only of the girl but that of the building she hangs out from. Very useful for countries where you cannot read the sign! For that application, if someone post a query to the location, a delay of 2-3 days in response could be a pain.

Le Grand

Spaceman Spiff
08-25-03, 00:36
Jackson,

I think that in general, I have followed most of the guidlines. I would just like to make a couple of requests:

1) Links

Perhaps we shouldn't be absolutist about this. For instance, if I have had a positive experience with a lady, and she has her own website (a personal one, not a page on eros or whatever), I think it's reasonable that after posting my experience with her, I be able to say something like, "and you can check out pictures of her, and what else she's into at her site, http://whatever".

2) Posting window

Could we have an option that opens a posting window that is 80 columns wide with wordwrap turned off?

I haven't done one for a while now, but from time to time I make long posts with everything I know about a city. I compose them outside the forum and take a good bit of time to get the formatting nice, but when I paste them into the forum, they get all screwed up..

Thanks for all your hard work,

Spaceman Spiff

Will86
08-25-03, 08:18
With all due respect to Lope and Damocles

"a suggestion by Damocles:

I would suggest using '~' instead of '.' though. Might be confusing to have that many periods and not always know if its the end of a sentence or not.

Example : BN~, FE~, TL~, LE~"

This suggestion makes reports much less readable and understandable. It also does nothing to confuse law enforcement.

Will

Lazzaro
08-26-03, 08:43
Originally posted by Will86
With all due respect to Lope and Damocles

"a suggestion by Damocles:

Example : BN~, FE~, TL~, LE~"

This suggestion makes reports much less readable and understandable. It also does nothing to confuse law enforcement.

Will
Also me, I agree with Will86, ..." With all due respect to Lope and Damocles":

After all, could be, but not all keyboards are allowe to type immediatly this, otherway you have to press alt+126 to obtain the character "~"
IMHO it is better the "enter" button instead "alt+126": it is only 1 type and not 4 types.
We all did the elemenatry school and we learned that afetr the "." of end of phrase you have to begin the new one in a new line.
Regarding your requests:
1 - Do we need Posting Guidelines?
yes, for me it is useful
2 - Do you think that Posting Guidelines improve the readability of the Forum?
yes surely it improve the readability of the Forum
3 - Are the Guidelines to restrictive?
No they aren't, in the opposite they are really useful
4 - Do you believe that the Posting Guidelines will deter potential contributions?
No, I don't believe it, because we are all adult and people responsible, and, in the end, it is a little point of distinction with others similar sites
5 - Should contributors be held to minimum writing requirements?
Yes, tons of people post here only 1 or 2 msgs and only with a maniac requirement, and not participate in this forum at all
6 - Do you believe that we should allow contributions in chat room style?
No, please no....don't allow this.....
7 - Do you think I should post an Editors Note at the bottom of edited reports?
yes. IMHO the risk is that some people doesn't care at all if you tell him in a private way
8 - Would you suggest another method of advising members that their reports had to be edited to comply with the Posting Guidelines?
No, see above point 7
9 - How do other forums handle this situation?
I know only 2 other sites, but they don't care at all about the style or punctualization, or........They don't care at all!
Please keep distinguished this forum!

Steve Winwood
08-26-03, 21:39
Hi I'm Steve Winwood,

I like to give my comment about that "hotel" Saint Illian's Makati Inn based in 7461 Santillan Street, Pio del Pilar Makati City 1230, PHILIPPINES we have very bad experience to tell everybody. We went there with my lovely wife and 3 kids. We directly came in contact with rats in the CR, the water is very dirty and the service is far below we paid them. My wife also used their food and the next day we had to go to the hospital for infections. I like to inform everybody, don't go to Saint Illian's you will reach the hospital like we had. We directly, transfered to another hotel. This was the most bad holiday experience we ever had in the Philippines.

I wonder why this Saint Illian's still operate!

Be carefull all of you.

Cheers,

Steve and wife Suzy Winwood USA

Warpig2000
08-27-03, 03:30
Jackson, here is my personal spin on the posting guidelines:

The posting guidelines are the mechanism which keeps this forum understandable to all, no ifs, ands or buts. We are talking a WORLD sex guide here, and while English is the language of communication there are many people imersed in many different cultures, all trying to get a piece of ass. You might have to negotiate for pussy in Thai or hiphop, Pigin, Dutch, Rumanian or Portuguese. That is fine and well. We can all make heads or tails out of these experiences however only if we have a common written language- Standard written english, with accepted abreviations and terms that apply to the hobby. Without this, everything is babel and chaos. There is no room for chat room speech either.

Overall the guidelines have been fair. I do take issue with two particular policies of this board:

1) While I understand that you run a server which takes money to run, and you do not want to become an advertiser for competing boards or the target of spam, I think it is important for hobbyists to have links to LOCAL information on the sex industry of a given community, if boards dealing with that locality exist. TBD doesn't need a referal from here, but sometimes it would be of value for the hobbyists to know where they can turn for another spin on the subject. I think it only fair to WSGForum user to allow links to other forums... if anything, knowing that we could get a comprehensive view starting at this site, it would make WSGForum the PORTAL of choice for investigating the wide world of poontang.

2) I understand the ban on certain words that 'denigrate' women, but I am another one who thinks this sort of political correctness can often hamper imaginative speech. The example I have to give here is a local Junior High School librarian in a white suburban community who took it on herself to pull from the shelves any book with the word "Nigger": In doing this, she banned "The Autobiography of Malcom X", "Soul On Ice", "Native Son".... practically any book on black history and the African American struggle. Maybe wh_re and b!tch are patently offensive, but without the first word how would Annie Sprinkle write the essay "40 reasons" that appears at this URL:
http://www.gatesofheck.com/sprinkle/gallery/40reasons.html
The words themselves should not be the litmus test, it is the syntax in which they are used.

With a couple of tweaks like this I believe the posting guidelines are a framework which allow more valuable contributions from everyone. Yes, I am in favor of making some sort of written contribution mandatory for board membership.

As far as moderating the board goes Jackson, you are doing a super job. I would go with using the comments in blue at the bottom, it serves its purpose. What might be changed is to incorporate the Posting Guidelines into some sort of a TOS agreement that new users would 'sign' upon requesting board membership... which would basically grant you as moderator the right to edit or delete any or all posts that do not meet the guidelines, and to delete any account of anyone who maliscously misuses the board. In other words, formalize exactly what you are doing now with the banned user forum.

Thanks for this opportunity to present our ideas and Feedback
Warpig2000

Hi WarPig,

I appreciate your carefully considered thoughts. I agree with you regarding the concept of considering the context in which some words are utilized. However, as a practical matter I just don't have the time to read every report and make all the necessary subjective evaluations, so I have to utilize the Forum software's ability to blank out the words automatically. Besides, I feel that in the context of this Forum it's reasonable to assume that the contributors can find alternate words and phrases to express their thoughts without using these words.

Thanks,

Jackson

Burnie
08-28-03, 17:04
Hi Jackson,

first a big thanks for providing this unique board to the punter community!

I subscribe very much to what Warpig has highlighted before me

1) Particulary in less frequented countries (everything exept Thailand & Brasil probably), local boards that are catering to the indigene community provide so much valuable information, that the few expats and travellers will never be able to dig up, so it makes a lot of sense to allow links to boards that are mononational.

2) My girlfriend doesn't think it denigrates her if I call her *****. ***** is a colloquial expression of a pro's occupational status, so I wouldn't like to see it banned either: I can't see the denigrating part in it. Strike out ****; but ban dick as well, since this should then denigrate all of us guys.

Your board will remain the standard bearer without these three words, but it'll hurt me if you cut 3% out of my active vocabulary!

Cheers, Burnie

MpfsLover
08-29-03, 00:54
Jackson,

Firstly, thanks for this great site. Many kudos to you for setting up this forum for us to exchange info on our favorite hobby ;-)

Here are my responses to your questions.

Yes, the posting guidelines will keep people in check, otherwise people will abuse the site and post all sorts of crazy things. We want to keep this forum to a fairly professional and decent level.

Absolutely. Readability will increase readership and encourage people to continue to post interesting field reports.

No, not at all.

4. Do you believe that the Posting Guidelines will deter potential contributions?
No. However, it will deter people who don't want to follow the rules. In my mind, let them go elsewhere and post their garbage. I have seen sites with people flaming others, using foul languages. It is just not pleasant to visit those forum anymore. BTW. they are traditional forum sites, not related to our hobbies here.

Hard to enforce. This is more a subjective thing.

No, hard to read. I vote for keeping out the chat room style verbage.

Yes, it is a good warning, otherwise people will not know they have cross the line.

No, your Editor's note is good.

Not as well as you. Jackson, You are doing a fantastic job. Thank you very much.

mpfslover

RealFun
08-29-03, 03:04
I totally agree with all your guidelines. I'm willing to accept a lot of bad spelling and improper grammar as long as its clear that the writer is making a half-ass attempt to write a clear post. I'd hate for anyone to feel uncomfortable posting just because they feel they can't write good.

But blatant chat-room style or other signs of laziness shouldn't be allowed.

I support your banning of certain words, and I agree with a previous comment to include "****" on the list. Many times I've been surprised to see " ***** " in my post, and then realized I had typed in a banned word. It really makes me pause and re-evaluate my message and style. Most times I'll at least re-word the sentence a little, but sometimes I take stock in my overall message and find a better way to get my point accross.

In a few rare occasions I used a banned word in what would be an acceptable context ("...the place is a ***** to find...") and I end up getting " *****". But that's a small price to pay for what I believe to be a great tool.

To those who think there should be no ban on words: I agree with much of what all of you say about not wanting to censor, limit or change posters' original intentions and core messages, etc. But I think that if they type a banned word, we'll know what word they meant by the context, anyways. Remember that hobbyists aren't the only ones reading this stuff. The subject matter and the content of these posts are seedy and explicit enough regardless of what words are used.
It doesn't matter if I say: "the tawdry woman of the evening entered my auto and we negotiated $20 for oral stimulation, and only $5 more for analingus," or if I say: "wsw got in my car and agreed to suck my cock for $20, and get this, the stupid crack ***** was willing to do asian for only $5! That's a desperate ***** that'll offer that without requiring a shower first."

Either way we're talking about two strangers discussing how a dirty mouth is going to lick a dirty asshole. I don't think its a huge sacrifice for the poster or the reader to have one little hoop to jump through.

CaliCalientex
08-30-03, 13:05
I would certainly like to express my gratitude to Jackson and everyone else here for providing a forum of great information that has certainly made my life better. =^) I agree with the need for guidelines as a total free-4-all is not beneficial to anyone. That said, I think some easement of standards could benefit the forum. While I understand that the beginnings and heart of this board is trip reports, its evolved much more into a discussion forum as well, for better or worse depending on your opinion. Personally I think its beneficial as not everyone is a great writer or necessarily has the time or desire to put together a well-polished essay on their trips and experiences. That said perhaps a better idea then stricter guidelines is a slight reorganization. Trip postings/ experiences can be in one section or thread and discussions in another. Discussions by their nature are more free-flowing and conversational and less grammatical correctness is par for the course. That said, I think most of your guidelines are good, but I feel that if someone has something of value to contribute proper grammar and slight spelling mistakes shouldnt really matter. And I think that more people would contribute more info if their writing wasnt as scrutinized, but thats my personal opinion and how it feels for me. Plus I dont think its worth your time to go through and proof-read every discussional post.

Just my 2 cents...thanks again and good times for all!!

Flyhere
09-03-03, 19:41
Jackson,

I want to chime in with others and thank you for this site, and the efforts that go into it.

Yes, the posting guidelines provide the basic considerations when considering a specific post. I suggest, as part of the guidelines, you reiterate the purpose of the forum, as such all guides are then interpreted in the spirit of the main purpose(s), be that of exchanging information, providing comprehensive travel reports, etc.

Yes, it promotes good writing which leads to more readership.

(that should be TOO restrictive?, sorry I can't help noticing spellings) No. The only thing I would tolerate is multiple periods after a sentence, if it seems ok within the context of the conversation.

No, not if you emphasize that it's for improving the readability of the posts, therefore increasing the enjoyment of the readers, at the same time not penalizing those who have good information to share but don't or can't make an essay out of their post.

No, the current tips for better writing are sufficient.

No, hard to read, very distracting. Conversational writing style is best.

Yes.

No, unless you find yourself spending too much time editing the same stuff from a particular contributor, then you may want to send that contributor a note.

You are doing a great job.

I run a couple of forum websites, so I have my bias when it comes to good writing, but I really believe that it improves readability and make reading the postings much more enjoyable. You would be surprised how well people can write if you ask them to try. Again, if you make clear you are not looking for "Wall Street Journal" standards, but merely to watch basic spelling, basic sentences and paragraph breaks.

Someone had made an excellent suggestion, that is to provide a separate "trip report" section (for each location) where the information is more comprehensive, and where you can ask for better writing. Then, in the general discussion sections, you can go easier on the conversations.

Vegas1

arlo
09-04-03, 11:44
I am very grateful for the service you are providing with this forum, however one thing annoys me no end. The way you list the newest reports first followed by the older reports is a royal pain in the arse. It means when you read in the natural manner, top to bottom, you are reading people's responses before the item they are responding to. This is really ass-backward and I cannot imagine why you set it up that way. I usually copy and paste the posts into a text document while I am at the internet cafe, and then read them on my home computer, and it just makes following a topic very difficult, because even if you start at the bottom and scroll up, you have to scroll down first to read one post to its conclusion, then scroll up again to find the next post. Why have you set it up this way? I can't believe I am the only one bothered by this, but maybe I am!

The alternative is for the reports to be posted in cronological order, which would mean that the reports posted from 2001 would be first, and you would have to then scroll to the bottom of the page to figure where you last left off from your last visit, and then contriue to read from that point of down. That's too much work.

However, I have a suggestion. When you open a section, you should scroll down to the last report you read, and then begin reading the reports as you move up the screen.

Jackson

Good Neighbor
09-14-03, 16:11
Dear Jackson,

I support the posting guidelines. Since I rejoined the hobby I use the reports a lot. Reports following some modicum which follows your liberal guidelines are so much easier to read. Also, the guidelines give me some idea of how to proceed. I'm a bit nervous about all this, and the guidelines are a big help.

Love this site,

Good Neighbor

FlyingDutchman
09-16-03, 01:53
for some of us it will be hard to write without mistakes ore even good english, i had only 1 year english at school and the rest learn myself, so sometimes my english will look like its writen wrong, but that is the best i can do. otherwish i will have to stop make reports and look only at the reports.

AGL
09-16-03, 02:52
Jackson - Thanks for seeking our input. I agree that there should be guidelines if for no other reason but to create order and a consistent style. But unfortunatly each person will have his/her own opinion of what should be acceptable and what should not be and it will always be difficult to come to a fully accepted agreement. I respect your interest to seek external opinion but that may be a whole can of worms on its own.

i for instance like typing in "chatroom" style. not necassarily for the sake of it being easier (as it truly is), but it's actually sort of an MO for myself. not too original i know but none the less it's kind of my style.

But I respect your wishes and since this is indeed your forum I will follow guidelines as best that I can as you set them. If in the future you should decide to agree to "chatroom" style, please make an announcement and I will revert.

Thanks for the GREAT work!
agl-

arlo
09-17-03, 08:17
I am very grateful for the service you are providing with this forum, however one thing annoys me no end. The way you list the newest reports first followed by the older reports is a royal pain in the arse. It means when you read in the natural manner, top to bottom, you are reading people's responses before the item they are responding to. This is really ass-backward and I cannot imagine why you set it up that way.

I usually copy and paste the posts into a text document while I am at the internet cafe, and then read them on my home computer, and it just makes following a topic very difficult, because even if you start at the bottom and scroll up, you have to scroll down first to read one post to its conclusion, then scroll up again to find the next post. Why have you set it up this way? I can't believe I am the only one bothered by this, but maybe I am!

DreamingEagle
09-17-03, 16:01
Practically every discussion forum software available displays the most recent posts first. All you have to do is go down to the last post you read, then read upwards. It's some kind of left brain / right brain thing, I guess, because it would seem totally backwards to me to do it in the reverse.

DreamingEagle
09-18-03, 09:02
I like all of the guidelines. They should do a lot to keep the ignorant from posting here. I think you have to give people who are struggling with English as a second language a little leeway with grammar, etc., but it's not too much to ask that they end sentences with a period and don't use all caps.

arlo
09-19-03, 12:43
>>>Practically every discussion forum software available displays the most recent posts first. All you have to do is go down to the last post you read, then read upwards. It's some kind of left brain / right brain thing, I guess, because it would seem totally backwards to me to do it in the reverse.<<<

Dreaming Eagle, I have never seen ANY forum that operates that way. In every other forum i know of, the most recent posts are listed last, which is much easier to follow, IMO.

You may be referring to the list of THREADS, in which it is common that the most recent is at the top. However, within that thread, the most recent post is generally last, which makes sense and makes a thread easy to follow. I strongly recommend this form and hope Jackson is reading this and will consider changing it.

Orient Xpress
09-19-03, 16:54
First of all great job on maintaining the site. This is one of my favorite places to visit online and I along with all the other fellas appreciate the services that you guys provide.

One minor suggestion that can make things even better. Can you create a seperate section for Photo Galleries which has individual links to each country's Photo Gallery while keeping the individual Photo Gallery folder for each country? This saves users the time and trouble of having to go to each country's forum just to browse that country's photo gallery.

Thanks.

OXpress

Zoomie
09-19-03, 23:22
Jackson,

Other than size limitations, are there any posting guidlines for photos? I ask this because someone posted an animated gif of a dancing rat on the chicago board. While this may seem benign to some, I'm sure the 350+ other people who clicked on it were as annoyed as I was to discover that it had nothing whatsoever to do with our hobby. It seems that the gif was posted simply for vanity's sake. To me it seems like a waste of bandwidth.

I just think that if someone goes through the trouble of clicking on a picture posted by another, it should at least have something to do with our mutual hobby. Otherwise its just a waste of time.

Thanks,
Zoomie

Le Grand
09-22-03, 02:25
A suggestion,

There are a bunch of islands very close to Singapore (Batam, Bintin etc.) whose only real significance are as cheap R&R places for Singaporeans. I wonder if it make sense to move it under the Singaporean forum since practically all the potential posters will be from Singapore.

As it stands, the island of Batam is part of the Indonesian forum and have received very little posting traffic.

If you do not think that is a good idea, and wish to keep it purely on geographical grouping, may be you can change the name Batam of the Indonesian forum to to "Batam and islands near Singapore".

Regards,

Le Grand

AGL
09-26-03, 11:07
I support Le Grande's suggestion. As I too visit those locations I can agree and endorse the comments.

agl-

Marconista
09-26-03, 11:50
quoting Orient Xpress...

One minor suggestion that can make things even better. Can you create a seperate section for Photo Galleries which has individual links to each country's Photo Gallery while keeping the individual Photo Gallery folder for each country? This saves users the time and trouble of having to go to each country's forum just to browse that country's photo gallery.
Unquote

---------------

I disagree on this suggestion. Why?

The Photo-sections should be as is, since it will reduce number of people surfing, putting strain on the server. As is now, members who are regulars in some threads will hardly bother visiting other threads just to view the pics.
If there will be a separate photo-section, then a lot of non-members will also get familiar and start surfing, causing problems re bandwith etc.

I would even go a step further and suggest that Jackson should be more restrictive with the Photo-section.
Only members logged in should be able to view the pics. That way we can also share more pics, knowing that not everybody just dropping by will have access.

Just my 2 cents worth of opinion - p e a c e..

Le Grand
09-27-03, 03:08
Marconista

> Only members logged in should be able to view the pics.

That is a great idea. I wonder if Jackson's software allows that.

The photos seems to be in one of 2 places:

(1) In separate "Photo Gallery" sub-section of a country's forum. The software may allow him to set access restriction per sub-section (as in access only for login user for the photo subsection).

(2) Some photos are buried into a FR message itself. This could be tricker since the messages are readable without login. However given the photo is through a PHP scripted link, may be access control can be imposed there. If this work, (1) will be unnecssary since picture posting in the "photo Gallery" subsection is done the same way.

Le Grand

Hi Le Grand,

I could restrict the photo viewing as described with one keystroke, but I'm not prepared to handle the flood of membership applications that I would subsequently receive.

Thanks,

Jackson

Freeler
09-27-03, 13:34
Jackson,

'but I'm not prepared to handle the flood of membership applications that I would subsequently receive.'

But of course you are prepared!
You came up with a good system to get rid of spammers and it's called 'Senior Member'.
Need I say more?

Le Grand
09-28-03, 02:42
> I could restrict the photo viewing as described
> with one keystroke, but I'm not prepared to
> handle the flood of membership applications
> that I would subsequently receive.

Very good point.

I wonder if you can automate (completely or mostly) the adding of new members (using scheme similar and potentially simpler to Yahoo or Hotmail membership applications to prevent automatic creation of applications) but with ...

the automatic deletion of new members that do not make any meaningful contributions within a period of time.

Hmmmm ... on the other hand, that may just push gawkers to make bogus postings and hence creating more work for the moderators ...

Le Grand

One Man
09-28-03, 12:31
I previously indicated that I agreed with your posting guidelines. I now find that I must retract 1% of that agreement.

Although I don't have the original post to review, I was recently taken to task in another forum for leaving multiple periods at the end of sentences. The forum software or Jackson removed those periods before posting, leaving a (polite and appreciated) blue comment at the end of the post. In reviewing the proposed posting guidelines I do indeed see the prohibition on multiple periods guideline.

Multiple periods can be a legitimate punctuation, i.e., an elipsis. I use this punctuation frequently, and from reviewing just this forum on posting guidelines, I see that many others do also. My recollection is that the appropriate form of an elipsis is three periods between two words with no spacing on either side of the periods...as an example, although perhaps one of the english teachers in the group(s) would correct me. I would think that this would be easy enough for the Forum software to pick up and then allow, but since I am not familiar with the software you use I obviously can't be certain.

Thanks again for a great forum.

I am just

One Man

=========================

be careful out there and please use a condom...I don't want what you've got (and vice versa)

Hi,

Of course there are extremely rare situations where multiple periods may be correctly used. However, what I'm trying to reduce are the situations where guys seem to leave their thumb on the period key when they write, leaving a string of periods where many poeple would have otherwise used a comma or a single period to end a sentence.

Thanks,

Jackson

Ualabio
09-29-03, 00:20
I read about people having difficulty following discussions. I suggest that we add threading. The threads should occur newest firstly. The messages in the threads should be threaded with oldest firstly. This would solve mot of the immediate problems. The addition of moderation would be a nice future project.

Hi,

I appreciate your suggestion, but the forum software has a maximum of four levels, and to do what you suggest would require a fifth level below the current subject level.

Thanks,

Jackson

Magic
10-07-03, 17:47
Jackson:
How the "Buddy' feature works?
I just add couple people to my "Buddy" list and can find how that works.
Please forgive my ignorance and help me out.
Thanks!

Dickhead
10-07-03, 19:20
Well, one man, since you asked, the purpose of ellipsis (that is the correct spelling) points is to indicate an omission from a quoted passage, or to mark a reflective pause or hesitation. I have yet to see anyone on the forum do the former, and I question whether very many are doing the latter. So, anyone who uses ellipsis points frequently when a quote is not involved

a) is an extremely reflective and/or hesitant individual, or
b) uses them to cover up a lack of knowledge of alternative, correct punctuation.

Now, on to dashes. My favorite grammar book says, "Use the dash carefully in formal writing. Do not use ... as awkward substitutes for commas, semicolons, or end marks."

Here I have demonstrated the correct usage of ellipsis points to indicate that I have left something out of the passage I quoted from the grammar book.

I realize this probably makes me sound like kind of a

Dickhead

Latin Ass
10-10-03, 15:54
Jackson

i just have one comment, why does it take so long to post a message?, I have waited 8 hours now and my post is still not on the board, I feel that many people would find this lenght of time too long?

Regards

Latin ass

Please read the FAQ.

Desperado999
10-13-03, 14:08
Jackson,

Let add a section for video clips and higher bandwidth pictures. I am sure that there are some interesting videos out there waiting to be share!

Cali

zebulon
10-15-03, 06:31
Hello Jackson,
This remark may have already been told to you.....sorry if I am reapeting other's members remarks.
My remark concerns the improvment (GREAT by the way) you've made a short while ago with the possibility to post pictures.
I would to propose a change in the "last24 hours" section. In this section, there is an item showing that the thread contains pictures......I don't know whether or not if it is possible to put the item only if the last message includes a picture. I hope the software can handle it.
Thanks for your attention,
Regards,
Zeb.

Marcos
10-15-03, 10:14
On the subject of punctuation (yeah we don't have anything better to do than talk about) I'm a big fan of ellipsis, thanks DH for educating us on the subject. I think these leave a certain sense of indetermination that is often appropriate for volatile subjects discussed here. Now it comes to my mind that I don't even know the proper name for ellipsis in my own language, mind you we pretty much have a name for everything especially in literature and stuff. But familiarly, these are called 'puntini puntini puntini'. Can you imagine anything funnier? Ok enough crap and now for what I personally like - or not:

- I'm against giving any more emphasis to pictures and totally against video. In fact I would automatically resize the pictures to a small size if possible. I love the board because is verbally oriented and don't mind having some illustrations like in good books.
But if you want to share your pictures post'em on a specialized websites so they and not Jackson has to deal with the bandwith they generate.

- I would relax a bit the rules on capitalization and stuff. Isn't so important IMHO! Jackson you know how much I like you but I'm becoming really curious why it is so important to you, Im worried you don't headtrip on that too much and loose focus :)

Tasty1
10-16-03, 00:31
Jackson:

I am surprised that in many of the pictures section brothers are using only texts and no pictures. It seems to me that any report in that section should only be published if it is included with a picture.

CanContrib
10-21-03, 16:34
Hi Jackson,

This belongs under "Site Improvements", or some more appropriate subsection thereof, not "Posting Guidelines" (see related comment below) but there doesn't seem to be one nor any way for me to create it, so that's suggestion #0 - over to you on that.

Responding to a much earlier comment from you - that responses are buried in sections that lead to the comment instead of "here", it's simply because there's no easy way to redirect reponses to where they *should* be going. If there was, I would, and if there was I'd have written this a long time ago.

That mentioned, I see that quoting and thus the entire response issue is currently a moot point - you've disabled it entirely. I saw your posting about the html issues and I can certainly agree - proper html quoting is a MAJOR pain. I will thus recommend that you reinstate quoting, but just throw away the html issues - make all quoting as simple plain text and leave it up to the respondant to proper attribute it just like we did in USENET. It worked then with people who had a clue. Let it work now with people who have a clue. If you're not sure who has a clue, make clue-awareness part of senior member status and restrict response posting with quoting to the clued.

Also, there are times when this web site is non-functional, such as when I tried to edit one of my postings to provide a needed contextual correction. Next time I logged in a few weeks later it wouldn't let me do it - "too old" or somesuch. You may wish to address this problem too.

Hope this helps.
Cheers

CanContrib
10-21-03, 16:40
Threads ... (yeah, the elipsis issue there ... let people who know how to use it use it and throw away people who can't deal with it, or somesuch).

Anyway, on the threads issue, I notice that *you* can add your comments to a posting in blue. Ok. Can you permit followup comments to a given posting, perhaps in green? That would make threading totally transparant, easy to use, handy, great, superlative (wanting to add appropriate multiple dots there). :)

Cheers

Prokofiev
10-21-03, 19:34
Well, Now that you have taken the time to add Photo sections to almost all boards, it seems like that was perhaps a bad idea. A photograph without text and an explanation of who, what, where and how much is of little use. And if someone wants to comment on the photo or request more info, where should he put it? A series of text posts or discussions in a Photo section gets everyone PO'd. But if you comment in the main section of the board, it is separated from the point of the discussion and for a reader to follow you need to check both threads. Why not just keep everything under the same thread. If you have a picture to add with your post fine. And if not, cool. Just my 2 cents.

And I still would like everyone to annotate their photos with the appropriate info. Too many "Here's a girl from Buenos Aires" posts. Please give us a clue as to who she is and what you know about her. Thanks, -P

Marcos
11-03-03, 18:28
Please bump the limit for PM lenght to, at least, 2000 chars! I was writing to a friend and after finished this masterpiece of letter I was forced to acrobacies to summarize it, like I didn't from school days!

I've doubled the PM limit to 2000 characters.

Thanks,

Jackson

Country John
11-05-03, 17:55
Jackson:

Your points about the time consuming corrections required to SOME posts are well taken.

Submitting a bad post is bad manners.

The forum rules and posting guidelines are quite clear. We are adults here.

I would bounce the post back to the author with a generic note to the effect that it does not conform and therefore must be re-worked by the author.

Members want their posts SEEN. They should get them right so they can be POSTED.

If you get repeat offenders, block 'em.

I appreciate your willingness to help out but to burden you with bad manners is inappropriate and inconsiderate. There are other changes and improvements I'm sure you would like to make and if you had more time, you could do it.

So why not just bounce 'em back, let the author resolve posting rule issues and re-submit? Multi bounces get blocked - simple!

We are using the King's English in this forum and while you are forgiving of minor issues, I believe that the simple posting guidelines work well as a minimum for anyone even though they might not be fluent in the language.

Comments are always welcomed.

Country John

Hi Country,

I agree with you, and I tried using the strategy of sending emails to members with problem reports for a couple of months. The problem is that a sizeable percentage of email addresses in the WSG Membership roster are either rarely read or simply closed. Thus, after I would take the time to compose emails advising members about their problem reports, a sizeable number of them bounced backed. The process was time consuming with limited results, so I decided to adopt the alternate strategy of posting the "Editor's Note" at the bottom of problem reports instead.

Thanks,

Jackson

DeeUncola
11-08-03, 04:13
I have no real problems with your suggestions.

With the hundreds of posts I have made, and I push the boundaries of taste, you rarely correct me on style. You only corrected my style twice.

Once to tell me blue was reserved for the editor. I did not know that at the time.

Once, to tell me NOT to overuse the size command.

According to Stoly on this thread, 11-03-03, you are now limiting characters to 2000 per mail on the Private Messages. Is this true also for the regular posts on the board as well?

I have posted some very long posts on the board in the past. Is this new rule applicable to the board also? I can live with it if it is; but it will dampen my creativity, considerably.

Finally, the colors! Can you enable the green? Blue is not allowed. And some say the red bothers them. I like to use colors for ease of reading. Some like my use of red. Others find it hard on the eyes. Green might avoid the problem, if you can enable it.

What is the final ruling on use of the size command. Is it to be limited or off limits, totally.

Thanks!

Still the best board of its type on the web and way ahead of UG.

DeeUncola
11-08-03, 04:25
Since I love elipsis [...], what is the final rule?

Is it only allowed now for a break in a quotation?

Is it allowed for a pause in thought, or to signify "and so on"?

Is it allowed at all?

I still quote, since I am familiar with using the capture and html codes; and when I quote, I like to use ellipsis to be correct in the quotation.

Or is the preferred method to cleanly break a quote with no ellipsis?

I think you are aiming for Basic Readable English, not Strunk's Elements of Style.

Marcos
11-11-03, 18:17
Deeuncola, If you love ellipsis like me and few others (among us, people that actually built his own writing style on them), you're better forget about'em as just today I noticed Jackson delayed a post for that only, as he says millions of people are happy with commas and so should we. But i'm sure you can still use them to omit portions of quotes. If not so, I will chain myself on Jackson's gate and let the whole Recoleta know about that.
BTW, there's no limit that I know of, for reports. That should incite you (and me) to write long, juicy reports that I personally like to be centered on hot latinas with a twist of humor (the report and the latina, possibly). I mean, nothing like this senseless stuff on punctuation.

[EDIT] Ok, I see now that you have 205 reports but not senior member status. Should I sense a problem here?

Joe Zop
11-11-03, 20:01
You know, I love ellipsis as well, and have used them on this forum on a number of occasions, and have never had a problem or comment from Jackson on it (possibly because I'm a wordy so-and-so, so leaving something out is a welcome thing. :))

But I have seen a lot of folks both here and elsewhere who just use them to use them, as opposed to using them with purpose. Personally, I find that as annoying as excessive caps or chatroom style or e.e. cummings imitations. I believe that's what Jackson is appropriately after -- a posting style that generally conforms to standard accepted standards. It's nothing to be anal over (and I don't see that Jackson's been so) but certainly a reasonable goal.

Jackson, I note your response to Country John below about how email failed to solve the rewriting problem. How about setting up a "quarantine" area, kind of like the Hate Mail or testing area, where unacceptable postings are placed for reworking? If a post doesn't show up, people can look there to see if it's been flagged for a problem, and redo it accordingly.

My Secret Life
11-15-03, 17:05
I don't recall ever seeing one of Deeuncola's emissions, but a regular member with 206 posts reminds me of that advert:

"I never read the Economist."

- Management Trainee, age 47

Hobo Bob
11-15-03, 18:05
I like the guidelines as they are, but think that they need better enforcement. For instance I would like useless posts to be removed. I think Jacksons taste in that regard is king.

I have seen even senior members post pictures of dogs fucking, therer predicitons for baseball games, the size of their cock etc. etc... (note That I too like the [...] style of punctuation. Commas dont work all the time to make the same point.)

I love this site. I'll be just as happy if it never changes!

Hobo Bob

DeeUncola
11-16-03, 00:35
Originally byMy Secret Lifeon11-15-03

I don't recall ever seeing one of Deeuncola's emissions,
[red] [small] ellipsis would be perfect here but until Jackson gives a final ruling, I will use commas.

I got involved in some flame wars. Which I, of course, maintain I was in the right. However, I am very good at HTML codes - the codes which produce quotes, reds. and [/b]bolds[/b].

DeeUncola
11-16-03, 02:40
Ooops! submitted the previous post of mine too early. Pressed the Submit Message button when the Preview Message button was what I wanted to press. I just got a new computer and this is the second time in three days I have made this mistake. Different sized screen, so my aim on the pointer was off.

This should work now.

Originally by My Sectet Life on 11-15-03

I don't recall ever seeing one of Deeuncola's emissions,

Note: This is a perfect time for the ellipsis but until Jackson makes a ruling on ellipsis, I will stick with commas.

And you won't see emissions pics from me! A picture of spunk is too gross to contemplate.

Originally by My Sectet Life on 11-15-03

Note: Another ellipsis moment, but until Jackson renders a final ruling on the use of ellipsis, I will not use them

but a regular member with 206 posts reminds me of that advert:

"I never read the Economist."

- Management Trainee, age 47

Stoly asked the same question earlier. I was going to give an answer to Stoly with my version of events concerning flame wars with some members who I felt were provocative.

So, I wrote an answer to Stoly.

However, since I love HTML codes - the codes which produce quotes, bolds, italics, reds, and size changes - my posts are a horror to edit. About three days ago, I accidentally pressed the Submit Message button, when I meant to use the Preview Message. The result was I probably fired off a mass of incomprehensible coding.

Since Jackson has enough problems dealing with caps and minor errors, I ASKED him to scotch the post of three days ago. Either mail it back to me and I will edit it; or Jackson can scotch it altogether. It was his choice. He obliged and sent me an initial email telling me he would make a decision.

I have yet to get or read Jackson's final reply on whether I should edit; or scotch the previous letter of three days ago.

In the meantime, today, what do I do?!

I screw up and accidentally press Submit Message again, when I meant to press Preview Message.

However, I will not bother Jackson again. This is a far smaller post and I can merely correct it and apologize for the previous error, which you can ignore, if it is even legible, or if it even posted. Jackson may have scotched it, too.

I am usually good with HTML coding, when I am not pressing the Submit Button by mistake.

I you want to see one of my better posts, may I recommend the post of 10-06-03 in the New Jersey -Paterson - North Jersey section. It was an itemized list of Paterson strip clubs listing costs, looks of girls, ethnicity, availability of extra services like sex or BJs, and I used a sleaze scale. Some liked the scale. Others detest it. But on that post, I used HTML coding to achieve a style and ease of read.

Apparently, Paterson and Newark, New Jersey; and Bridgeport, Connecticut strip bars are quasi-brothels, where some girls will give lap dances sans bikini bottoms and riding the post if you get my drift. Therefore, it is appropros to list strip club reports in a Sex Guide here for these cities. These are not your usual strip clubs.

You can also decide on the quality of my reports for yourself; whether you like them or detest them.

Enough like them that I continue to post. The past month has been a dry spell alas. No cash. Though I was at Twins in South Hackensack NJ Jersey in October and posted that See the 10-13-03 post of mine.

Jackson has never complained about my HTML coding, except once to say I should not overuse the size change command; and I should avoid the blue altogether. I immediately stopped the blue; and this is the first time in months I have used the size change command, but here it was appropriate.

That being said, I came to this to check up on the ellipsis rule and coding rules. As you see, I like precision coding and I'm usually passable on it , when I am not pressing the Submit Message button by mistake.

However, Jackson, recently reformatted the whole system here.

The Quote button is gone. It was initially disabled by accident; but since Jackson never restored it, I guess I need a ruling from Jackson on whether he wants HTML quoting to continue. Some of us know how to use the HTML codes and get the quotes option by coding; but Jackson may not prefer it, now, as it is now gone altogether on the button list.

And Jackson may want to rule on the reds, bolds, and italics coding, too. Personally I would like a green option added.

Since the recent crash, I noticed he added a PM option for private emailing. Which is a great idea.

Jackson seems to be aiming for a "more options, but coding free" board, which is understandable as he often had to edit the bad grammar of others, and may be inclined to avoid coding errors.

Though in my case, he could merely send it back to me since when it occurs, it usually an error of pressing the wrong button.

I would re-edit it myself.

However, I am starting to wonder if he is aiming for more of a simple text style to avoid the problem altogether; in which case he can rule on the continued use of HTML code here.

I would be disappointed but lets see what he says.

Personally, I think it is a reading aid. And when done right it really makes a report sing.

Just let me know the final decision on the posting rules concerning these.

Again, sorry for the previous post(s). But once in a while I make typos. The best of us do and I am not the best.

DeeUncola
11-16-03, 03:23
Originally by Stoly on 11-11-03

That should incite you (and me) to write long, juicy reports that I personally like to be centered on hot latinas with a twist of humor (the report and the latina, possibly).

From my experiences in Northeast strip bars, ¡Olé! to Dominicanas and Brazilianas.

Russian babes are not friendly and most hate the job. They are often pressed into the work by force and so do NOT make for good times.

I have found they do excel in giving good info, though. For a few bucks tip you tell them:

"Look, I know Russian girls are too good for stripping; and that you hate this, so I won't ask for extras; but could you do me the favor of pointing out the slutty Brazilians who will give me sex in the corner?"

The Russians love to look down on latinas and will happily oblige on any information which makes the other women look inferior. Just add,

"Here, you don't even have to flash, just bring the easy latinas to me. Here is few bucks, cause I respect you."

This has led to hand jobs at the bar at strip clubs for me. A Russian gal found a latina who put out for me.

The Russians hate to put out anything. They feel they are superior. A pity since many are blonde, blue-eyed beauties. You can use this to get them to point out the bar sluts. This can save you cash as you won't have to tip lots of girls to get the one who puts out in strip bars. When aiming for strip club sex, try this scientific approach.

A win-win situation for you and the Russian. She gets a few bucks for doing nothing. You get a friend who will be eager when you see her the next time to point out Latina sluts for you. And you get a Latina who puts out without spending too much cash on uptight women before you find the right one.

American strippers who put out are usually drug addicts. I met a 24 year old American beauty in a bar in Paterson in August. She was a perfect 10 in looks. But the glazed look in her glorious hazel eyes bespoke of an OxyContin High. Still she was friendly and offered me a lot for $80. But her bosses intervened before the event went off.

Many Latinas work out of desperation. So they will put out.

But American girls are often driven by hard core addiction and may therefore be more of a hazard.

As always, go in covered!

Wooly
11-16-03, 16:56
I would like to propose the banning of the use of colors for all except the administrator.
The use of repetitive quotations and all other gymnastics should also be eliminated. They are simply ways of attracting attention and showing off.
If someone has something of significance he should state it in the Queen’s English, rather than attacking the eyes of the reader with pyrotechnics without substance.

Greeekman
11-21-03, 14:54
The proposed guidelines look good to me as written. I have been on the forum for a number of years now and appreciate the fact that people are expected to write in complete sentences. It is a good policy.

Thanks for all your work.

Woody For Asians
11-29-03, 11:33
I've been reading this forum since Atta and I disagree with the proposed guidelines. Shakespeare wouldn't be allowed to post on WSG, since he couldn't spell consistently and he was pretty creative with his grammar also.

Complete sentences or sentence fragments; ellipses, dashes, commas, or semicolons - I don't care. Posters should be given room for individuality and style. IMO, The most entertaining and valuable contributors are less than perfect grammarians.

The proposed rules are too restrictive. English is a living language and I want to read what people have to say, in their vernacular. I don't need it in the King's (or Jackson's) English. If the posts are incomprehensible to me, I'll ignore them.

I must admit that I am entertained by Jackson's explanations (apppropriately in blue) about how many hours he toiled correcting someone's spelling and punctuation on a four-line post, and the resultant post still contains basic errors. :)

I read WSG because I want to know where the ho's are and I enjoy reading about others' experiences in their own words. This website probably is in no danger of being nominated for the Nobel prize in literature so Jackson will be spared that embarrassment.

I appreciate your efforts, Jackson. Just don't make so much work for yourself. Keep it Simple.

Hi,

I appreciate your comments. FYI, I don't check spelling because that would be an impossible task, and I'm not maniacal about fixing every mistake, which is why you will still find them even after I've edited a report.

Thanks,

Jackson

Eric T
12-01-03, 02:39
Jackson,

Could you please enable the quote function for a post so that one can quote a previous post. It used to be an available button where the pm, etc buttons are now. This will save us from copy-pasting a previous post and adding the {quote}{/quote} tags. Thanks!

Eric

DeeUncola
12-06-03, 19:46
As long as I can use Quote HTML codes I am happy.

[QUOTE]Is sufficient to open a quote and, of course, with the / to close the quote.

I suspect Jackson wants to keep the quote option available; but not make it too easy.

What would be nice is a green color option.

Too many have complained about red being annoying. So I have had to really minimize my use of it. Green would be perfect.

My Secret Life
12-11-03, 06:43
I think we can do without the quote function. Re-typing quotes makes you read the original and you cut out the unnecessary stuff if you use ellipsis. Some people seem to think this latter is some kind of sin, which is kind of counter-intuitive when you consider our subject matter.

Colours? I suppose I'm in favour of them, although if you REALLY want your post to stand out I think a better idea is to be, like, interesting.

I say it's inappropriate to mention Shakespeare because he wrote way before the first dictionary was published and there was something against which spelling could be checked. The Oxford English Dictionary lists the first recorded use of words, and a good few of them were given their first airing by Mr. S. You can't compare him to an incoherent poster who just isn't making an effort.

Raider
01-01-04, 14:33
Jackson one suggestion, a spell check feature on the program would do everybody some good .At least it would help getting rid of the silly typos we all make from time to time.

On Deck

Admin
01-01-04, 17:48
This subject was closed to further posting on 12-31-03.

If you have additional comments on this subject, please post them in the "Comment on Site Rules" area of the Site Administration section of the Forum.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to comment on this issue.

THIS IS THE TEXT OF THE ORIGINAL ISSUE
AS PUBLISHED IN THE FORUM ON 9-01-03:
========================================

POSTING GUIDELINES

Our next subject for discussion is the Forum's Posting Guidelines. Frankly, this discussion should probably have come before the discussion on Senior Member criteria, because Senior Member upgrades are based largely on a members history of adhering to the Posting Guidelines. Nevertheless, I elected to have the Senior Member criteria discussion first simply because I knew that there were so many Regular Members who were (sometimes impatiently) waiting to be upgraded. Besides, every new Senior Member means less moderating work for me, so I was also anxious to formalize the process.

Here are my proposed Posting Guidelines:

PROPOSED FORUM POSTING GUIDELINES

WHAT'S GOOD

Letter Format:
1. An optional greeting, followed by a blank line.
2. Paragraphs of reasonable length, each separated by a blank line.
3. A optional salutation at the bottom, separated from the body of the report by a blank line.

Standard Punctuation:
We all learned this in elementary school, and in the Forum it generally amounts to putting commas between phrases and periods at the end of sentences.

Standard Capitalization: Again, we all went to elementary school, and we all know that you should capitalize the first letter of sentences, names of people, places, streets, cities, countries, names of races and religions, etc.

General Politeness: This reminds me of the old saying about pornography "I can't define it, but I know it when I see it". The same follows true for recognizing uncivil behavior. generally, "General Politeness" just means referring to other members with some minimal level of civility.

WHAT'S NOT GOOD

Chatroom Style Writing:
Writing that is completely devoid of capital letters or punctuation.
The Forum is not a chat room, it's a permanent archive of travel reports.

Chatroom Abbreviations:
Specifically utilizing any of the following abbreviations:
The letter "i" instead of "I".
The letter "u" instead of "you".
The letter "r" instead of "are".
The letters "cuz" instead of "because".
The letters "ur" instead of "your".
The letters "um" instead of "them".

Universally recognized abbreviations of multiple words such as "FYI", "LOL", etc., and abbreviations on the Forum's Terms and Abbreviations List are all acceptable for use in Forum reports.

Weird Punctuation:
No period at the end sentences.
Multiple periods at the ends of sentences.
No space at the end of sentences.
Unwarranted dashes and dots throughout the text.

Of course everyone makes occasional typos, what I'm referring to is the consistent use of these writing aberrations.

Writing in all CAPS:
This is the internet equivalent of shouting, It's difficult to read, and it's simply not necessary unless you are either lazy or an egomaniac.

Links to Competing Websites:
I think this may come as a surprise to some members, but you cannot use my forum to promote competing forums.

Email Addresses:
The current policy is that if you have information to share, you can post your email address and invite others to contact you.

What you cannot do is post a request for others to post their email addresses to receive your information, because this leads to an unacceptable number of useless junk posts.

In addition, you cannot post your email address as part of a general request to receive information because this bypasses the purpose of the Forum.

However, this entire subject will be addressed in a future forum discussion.

Banned Words:
The words "*****", "*****" and "****" are not allowed because these words are commonly used to denigrate women, and that's not what this website is all about.

Spam:
Spam is defined as postings to the Forum that are contrary to the purpose of the site, including:

Commercial Messages
Links to Adult Websites
Discussions of Sex with Minors (under 18)
Homosexual Messages
Transvestite Messages
Repetitive Postings
Advertising Yourself to meet Women
TYPING IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS
Typing in Blue Font (Reserved for Editor)
Threatening the Webmaster
Personal Insults & Attacks
Postings not in English
Hate Messages
Racist Messages
Race Taunting
Religious Messages
Warnings from Law Enforcement
Deliberate Disinformation
General BS

WHAT'S NOT CONSIDERED

Quality of Writing:
This would be an impossible task.

Spelling:
Again, I just don't have the time.

THE PURPOSE of POSTING GUIDELINES

SPAM Control:
Uncontrolled SPAM will kill a Forum like a cancer.

Better Readability:
Standard capitalization and punctuation rules have been utilized for centuries because it's simply faster and easier to read writing that follows these generally accepted conventions.

Improved Reporting:
It's my theory that people tend to write better when they are asked to adhere to minimal punctuation and capitalization conventions. Instead of just casually banging their thoughts out onto the keyboard, they tend focus a little more on what they're doing, which improves their ability to communicate with the rest of us, which is to everyone's benefit.

HOW ARE THE POSTING GUIDELINES APPLIED

Reports by Regular Member are held for moderation, which amounts to my reviewing each report for adherence to the Posting Guidelines. Senior Members have already demonstrated their willingness to follow the Posting Guidelines, and thus I don't need to monitor their contributions. This is the intent behind the Regular Member / Senior Member System.

As a side note, I must also observe here that there are a number of Senior Members who were grandfathered into the status, but who still insist on making contributions that don't follow these Posting Guidelines, mostly by writing in chat room style with no capital letters or punctuation. Of course, these Senior Members make it doubly difficult for me to maintain the minimum requirements of the Posting Guidelines among the Regular Members, many of whom will naturally mimic the writing style they see utilized by the Senior Members under the assumption that this represents the acceptable practice. I'll have a discussion on this subject in the future, for now I'm going to focus on one issue at a time.

The moderation process is somewhat time consuming. On any given day, approximately 70% of the pending reports are fine as submitted, but there's the other 30% that need to be edited, either because they are written in chat room style, or written in ALL CAPS, or with weird punctuation (see description below), or because they constitute SPAM, etc.

Each day, I go through each of these reports and make the necessary edits, and then I paste an "Editor's Note" at the bottom of the edited report to advise the author what and why I was compelled to edit, hopefully to avoid repeats of the same situation. I also post the Editor's Note so I can keep track of whose reports I have had to edit, so if the author requests an upgrade to Senior Member, I can look back and see their history. Otherwise, as I am reviewing a prospective Senior Member's report history, every report would look perfect because I had fixed them.

I try to be somewhat moderate in deciding at which point I will paste an Editor's Note in a report. Generally, I don't even bother for just a few mistakes because everybody makes typo's, so it's only the pattern mistakes that warrant a notice. I'm also more liberal when it comes to correcting reports from members who are reporting on international locations when it appears that English is not their native language. In these cases I'm sensitive to my own limited foreign language capabilities, and I certainly don't want to discourage these contributions.

In the beginning of my stewardship of the Forum, I would send a email to the author of a problem report, either describing how I had to edit their report, or sometimes providing them with a copy of the entire report and a request that they modify it themselves and re-post it. However, that became too cumbersome because so many of these emails either wouldn't be received because it was a mail box that the member would rarely check, or would be returned undelivered because the email address that the member had used to register their membership was no longer valid. To this day I am amazed at the number of people who won't provide me with a useable email address, in spite of the fact that I've never distributed the membership email list or spammed the members. Maintaining a valid email address is a membership requirement, but I'll deal with this issue on another day.

Another problem that requires editing work on a daily basis is the misuse of the Forum's Quote function. Apparently there are a lot of people who simply don't comprehend the correct positioning of the [ quote ] and [ /quote ] tags, which results in several reports every day that look like one big quote, or that have been rendered completely unreadable. It's an aggravation to me because I then have to read the actual report content in an attempt to discern where the actual quote ends, and then move the improperly positioned tag to the correct location. I'm giving serious thought to removing the function entirely, but I'll make it a subject of a future discussion first.

Of course, I believe that these Posting Guidelines are reasonable, but it's entirely possible that others may believe they are to restrictive, that they may limit participation in the Forum, that they are unnecessary, or that they are simply unreasonable. That's why we're having this discussion, so I can get a general sense of what you, the members, feel is correct. So here are my questions to you:

=========================================

That's my plan, and here are my questions to the Membership:

Please Click Here if you want to participate in the discussion on these proposed Posting Guidelines.

For those of you who aren't WSG Members but who would like to comment, please email me at Jackson@WSGforum.com.

This discussion will be finalized on December 31th, 2003.