PDA

View Full Version : Google Voice

Kinot
10-22-14, 09:26
I'm a pretty tech-savvy guy, but for some reason Google Voice just flies right over my head. I don't understand what it is or what it does. But what I would like to know is, can it hide phone numbers (both calls and text) from appearing on statements / logs (or use different numbers than the ones I actually called / texted)?

My primary phone is Verizon, and my hobby phone is with Ptel (Sprint network I think). Where I live the Sprint network is laughably poor (as is ANY pre-paid network). So I'd like to know if there is anyway I could use my primary phone for hobby use but somehow block numbers from showing up in the online account log (my wife occasionally logs into the account to view text and call numbers to see who I've been calling / texting. She doesn't know I know this). Yes I know its a bad idea to use your primary phone for hobby use but Verizon seems to be the only network that cares about my little town (and yes I know they have pre-paid accounts, but those are too expensive). Besides, I've gotten pretty good at covering my tracks at this point so just interested in seeing if Google Voice can do the above for me.

Skerts2
10-22-14, 10:32
I'm a pretty tech-savvy guy, but for some reason Google Voice just flies right over my head. I don't understand what it is or what it does. But what I would like to know is, can it hide phone numbers (both calls and text) from appearing on statements / logs (or use different numbers than the ones I actually called / texted)?

My primary phone is Verizon, and my hobby phone is with Ptel (Sprint network I think). Where I live the Sprint network is laughably poor (as is ANY pre-paid network). So I'd like to know if there is anyway I could use my primary phone for hobby use but somehow block numbers from showing up in the online account log (my wife occasionally logs into the account to view text and call numbers to see who I've been calling / texting. She doesn't know I know this). Yes I know its a bad idea to use your primary phone for hobby use but Verizon seems to be the only network that cares about my little town (and yes I know they have pre-paid accounts, but those are too expensive). Besides, I've gotten pretty good at covering my tracks at this point so just interested in seeing if Google Voice can do the above for me.GV will not show up on your wireless statement, at least it does not on mine. If you are being checked on then I suggest using GV for some mundane calls that you can explain first in case something does. There are two privacy / discretion issues that I have not found a way to avoid completely.

1. Incoming texts / voice mail will cause the GV app icon to have a '1' or '2' etc until your read / delete them. *This does not happen if you are in DND mode*.

2. Texts will also be duplicated on the email address that you sign up for GV with so be sure that it is a secure email.

I have used this but try to always be sure it is on DND unless I am actively using it or expecting correspondence. The number when calling from the app is not your regular wireless number (same for texts). Always test to verify before using just to be safe.