PDA

View Full Version : Back in the day, gone but not forgotten

Pages : [1] 2 3

CheapCharlie
10-23-13, 23:08
Was driving to town and was going up North King street, drifted back to when I used to collect comics. Remember how me and my friend would catch the bus to town. Bus fare was only .25 cents and we would go to Aldamars (sp),Strawberry fields, Froggies and Jellys (back when was in the house of lights).Later got heavily into R&R/ HM, going to Towers, Hungry Ear (when was across from Washington inter). And the Cavern(Ibuy anyone who remembers this place a beer). So depressing, how going to town used to have so many interesting shops and now their all gone. Even the bars that I always saw in the paper and dreamed about going to, Hubba Hubba, Klassic Kat, Club Mignon, Butterfly Lounge, etc. All but a distant memory.

USukebe2
10-24-13, 00:54
Was driving to town and was going up North King street, drifted back to when I used to collect comics. Remember how me and my friend would catch the bus to town. Bus fare was only .25 cents and we would go to Aldamars (sp),Strawberry fields, Froggies and Jellys (back when was in the house of lights).Later got heavily into R&R/ HM, going to Towers, Hungry Ear (when was across from Washington inter). And the Cavern(Ibuy anyone who remembers this place a beer). So depressing, how going to town used to have so many interesting shops and now their all gone. Even the bars that I always saw in the paper and dreamed about going to, Hubba Hubba, Klassic Kat, Club Mignon, Butterfly Lounge, etc. All but a distant memory.Hey CC, you still young boy yet if you used to catch bus to those places. LOL How about Kapiolani Grill when it was on Kapiolani Blvd? Or Stardust Bowling Alley on Keeamoku? Or attending the Hawaii Islander baseball or high school football (before the schools split into ILH and OIA) games at the old Stadium (termite palace) on S King? Or the manapua man who actually walked the streets selling their goodies? Yup, all we got left is memories of times long ago. Hope when I'm gone I leave good memories too.

CheapCharlie
10-24-13, 01:16
Hey CC, you still young boy yet if you used to catch bus to those places. LOL How about Kapiolani Grill when it was on Kapiolani Blvd? Or Stardust Bowling Alley on Keeamoku? Or attending the Hawaii Islander baseball or high school football (before the schools split into ILH and OIA) games at the old Stadium (termite palace) on S King? Or the manapua man who actually walked the streets selling their goodies? Yup, all we got left is memories of times long ago. Hope when I'm gone I leave good memories too.Sorry, cannot remember that far back. No offense, but WOW thas way back in the day! I remember when had Chuck wagon when was across Blaisdell and Kengos by Ala Moana. I know that that not old school, but to me that is. Oh yeah, just remembered the old Japanese theater that was by Kukui garden and Chinese cultural Plaza; my Grandma used to take me and my cousins there for watch Kikaider and Kamen Rider movies!

Hypo Luxa
10-24-13, 03:40
Was driving to town and was going up North King street, drifted back to when I used to collect comics. Remember how me and my friend would catch the bus to town. Bus fare was only .25 cents and we would go to Aldamars (sp),Strawberry fields, Froggies and Jellys (back when was in the house of lights).Later got heavily into R&R/ HM, going to Towers, Hungry Ear (when was across from Washington inter). And the Cavern(Ibuy anyone who remembers this place a beer). So depressing, how going to town used to have so many interesting shops and now their all gone. Even the bars that I always saw in the paper and dreamed about going to, Hubba Hubba, Klassic Kat, Club Mignon, Butterfly Lounge, etc. All but a distant memory.I saw they tore down the old Tower Records (recently Walgreens). Man, that place used to be the place to be Tuesdays after work. That's the day of the week that new music always came out and was set up at the listening booths! Used to see a lot of girls I'd hang out with at the clubs. Fun times!

Times are a changin'.

Honolulu808
10-24-13, 03:56
Sorry, cannot remember that far back. No offense, but WOW thas way back in the day! I remember when had Chuck wagon when was across Blaisdell and Kengos by Ala Moana. I know that that not old school, but to me that is. Oh yeah, just remembered the old Japanese theater that was by Kukui garden and Chinese cultural Plaza; my Grandma used to take me and my cousins there for watch Kikaider and Kamen Rider movies!Toyo Theater $.40. Samuri movies played there too. Not to be forgotten to was Toho Theater corner of Beritania and Nuuanu, now home of that church. Seen lots of Kungfu and Samuri movies there.

Honolulu808
10-24-13, 04:02
I saw they tore down the old Tower Records (recently Walgreens). Man, that place used to be the place to be Tuesdays after work. That's the day of the week that new music always came out and was set up at the listening booths! Used to see a lot of girls I'd hang out with at the clubs. Fun times!

Times are a changin'.I remember those listening booths when Tower Record was on Piikoi across Sears Ala Moana. And Jellies was on Keeaumoku where Walmart is now then going to HK's for Chicken Katsu or Masa's Massive Plate Lunch on Makaloa.

Blake123
10-24-13, 04:22
I saw they tore down the old Tower Records (recently Walgreens). Man, that place used to be the place to be Tuesdays after work. That's the day of the week that new music always came out and was set up at the listening booths! Used to see a lot of girls I'd hang out with at the clubs. Fun times!

Times are a changin'.I used to go there to get the hard-to-find concert DVDs. Sad to see it (and KFC) torn down. Wondering what is going to be built there.

Here's a pic of the building as it looked in the early 1970's.

Lowlys One
10-24-13, 05:00
Toyo Theater $.40. Samuri movies played there too. Not to be forgotten to was Toho Theater corner of Beritania and Nuuanu, now home of that church. Seen lots of Kungfu and Samuri movies there.Ah that brings back memories, seen my first Zatoichi samurai movie there, I also think my first naked lady in a Zatoichi movie was also there!

Lowlys One
10-24-13, 05:17
Hey CC, you still young boy yet if you used to catch bus to those places. LOL How about Kapiolani Grill when it was on Kapiolani Blvd? Or Stardust Bowling Alley on Keeamoku? Or attending the Hawaii Islander baseball or high school football (before the schools split into ILH and OIA) games at the old Stadium (termite palace) on S King? Or the manapua man who actually walked the streets selling their goodies? Yup, all we got left is memories of times long ago. Hope when I'm gone I leave good memories too.Dam USukebe2, you got to be at least my age or older if you remember going to high school football games when there was no public and private school leagues, I think I went to a Farrington versus Punahou game as far back as I can remember. I used to love going to you. U.H. Football games at Honolulu stadium where we used to jump the wall separating the bleachers from the playing field at the end of every game, then running up to my favorite players and get their chinstraps and hand pads was so dirty and stink, I remember we played B.Y.U. one year, I think we lost a close one but there was a few fights throughout the game, but me being so young and ignorant, jumped the wall as usual, started running up to whoever I could get to first which happened to be a player from B.Y.U. And I asked him for his chinstraps and he growled at me to fuck off and get out of his way, this guy was huge and I was small, scared the shit out of me, ended up with only a few chinstraps that night, and a huge chip on my shoulder for be. Why. You., that I carry until this day.

CheapCharlie
10-24-13, 05:52
Toyo Theater $.40. Samuri movies played there too. Not to be forgotten to was Toho Theater corner of Beritania and Nuuanu, now home of that church. Seen lots of Kungfu and Samuri movies there.When I think of Kungfu movies, I think about Golden Harvest. Never did get to go there, wasn't really into Kungfu movies back then.

Kaimuki55
10-24-13, 05:53
Remember the lunch house in Halekuwela. Donna's. The owner was the Yama. Could eat that mix plate everyday (circa 70's).

Jjoner
10-24-13, 05:57
Remember Al Michaels and Chuck Leahey doing the games on the air? Al learned a lot from Chuck back in the ol termite palace. Kaipo Spencer freaking good QB and golden boy Elroy Chong from Iolani. Them Turkey Day games at the ol Stadium were great. Kuhio Grill ono grinds, Burgerland in Kapahulu for the best teri burgers, Rosies? Beef stew down by where the bandstand is. Dollar chili plate at Rainbows.

Bus was 10 cents, no AC with bars on the windows. Some dude waving out the window to his friend lost his arm on a telephone pole, so they put safety bars on the bus windows, felt like a prisoner riding back then. GEM's on Ward some of the original architecture still up today at Ross and Sports Authority.

Diners drive in on Keeamoku for roast beef plate after BBBJ in parking lot from some bar pro dick sucker in one of dozen bars there. Drink, shoot cum in a pro's mouth / pussy, eat then go home. Not much has changed except go to AMP's now.

SCJohn
10-24-13, 12:25
Diners drive in on Keeamoku for roast beef plate Diners had the best Chicken Katsu.

I remember walking across University Ave (when I was at UH) to Grace's Lunch Wagon for Hamburger Steak, 2 scoop rice and mac salad.

Club Mignon had that KGirl that did the thing with a roll of quarters.

Club 825 on Keeamoku (right across from Diners), was on the 2nd floor, there were private rooms in the back if you had money. Unfortunately, didn't have money back then.

Watching the Islanders play in the termite palace. They were a feeder team for San Diego.

Riding from McKinley to the Termite Palace for HS football games, in the back of the Band Flatbed Truck, we would stand in the back so the instruments wouldn't roll around in the back.

Papio
10-24-13, 12:40
Yes I remember, Liberty Theater, Toyo, Toho, so sad to see those days are gone. I remember seeing Onosai Tanuvasa hurdling over guys. Drinking at Takeba eating & not leaving tip & getting scolding by Kim chee breath old lady. Dui was nothing. Was easier to get sex from kbg, spend Little bit get your money worth.

Honolulu808
10-24-13, 12:50
Remember Al Michaels and Chuck Leahey doing the games on the air? Al learned a lot from Chuck back in the ol termite palace. Kaipo Spencer freaking good QB and golden boy Elroy Chong from Iolani. Them Turkey Day games at the ol Stadium were great. Kuhio Grill ono grinds, Burgerland in Kapahulu for the best teri burgers, Rosies? Beef stew down by where the bandstand is. Dollar chili plate at Rainbows.

Bus was 10 cents, no AC with bars on the windows. Some dude waving out the window to his friend lost his arm on a telephone pole, so they put safety bars on the bus windows, felt like a prisoner riding back then. GEM's on Ward some of the original architecture still up today at Ross and Sports Authority.

Diners drive in on Keeamoku for roast beef plate after BBBJ in parking lot from some bar pro dick sucker in one of dozen bars there. Drink, shoot cum in a pro's mouth / pussy, eat then go home. Not much has changed except go to AMP's now.Don't forget Aredang (sp) on Kapiolani across from Honolulu Chevrolet. That girl who smoked cigs in her pussy and grabbed stacks of quarters that guy would put in from of them then she spits it out one quarter at a time.

Don't forget. Hotel Street.

SquirtLuva69
10-24-13, 13:19
Chunky's cheeseburger.

Kc drive in.

Shakey's pizza.

Columbia inn complete meal.

Wow memories.

USukebe2
10-24-13, 13:57
I know Charlotte Pai was featured at Arirang as the "cigar lady" but there was also a kgirl who used quarters. Was she the same person as the "egg lady" that worked at the bar on Makaloa where Walmart now stands?

I think KC Drive In at Kalakaua and Ala Wai was the last drive in on Oahu to serve you at your car.

Anyone remember a Zippy's in Waikiki across of Beachwalk and Kalakaua?

Mix plate from the lunch wagon at Kewalo Basin was the bomb.

Ah you baby boomers. Luck I can google these things. LOL.

Honolulu808
10-24-13, 14:18
I know Charlotte Pai was featured at Arirang as the "cigar lady" but there was also a kgirl who used quarters. Was she the same person as the "egg lady" that worked at the bar on Makaloa where Walmart now stands?

I think KC Drive In at Kalakaua and Ala Wai was the last drive in on Oahu to serve you at your car.

Anyone remember a Zippy's in Waikiki across of Beachwalk and Kalakaua?

Mix plate from the lunch wagon at Kewalo Basin was the bomb.

Ah you baby boomers. Luck I can google these things. LOL.I think Andy's Drive Inn in Kailua was the last place to do car service. But I do remember going to KC Drive In after watching movies at Waialae Drive-in.

Lunch wagon at Kewalo was awesome but even better was the whole in the wall shop next to the old fish net hale (Diamondhead side) having the best Hamburger and gravy plate lunch and it was a buck.

Honolulu808
10-24-13, 14:19
Diners had the best Chicken Katsu.

I remember walking across University Ave (when I was at UH) to Grace's Lunch Wagon for Hamburger Steak, 2 scoop rice and mac salad.

Club Mignon had that KGirl that did the thing with a roll of quarters.

Club 825 on Keeamoku (right across from Diners), was on the 2nd floor, there were private rooms in the back if you had money. Unfortunately, didn't have money back then.

Watching the Islanders play in the termite palace. They were a feeder team for San Diego.

Riding from McKinley to the Termite Palace for HS football games, in the back of the Band Flatbed Truck, we would stand in the back so the instruments wouldn't roll around in the back.We may be classmates.

Udakine
10-24-13, 15:04
Anyone remember keikiland in ala moana? And I loved the fried chicken and the ham sandwhich from Woolworth's ala moana.

Good memories.

Hello Kitty
10-24-13, 15:38
Sky Slide in Waipahu. City Mill use to a rolla skate place.

BoinkingForFun
10-24-13, 16:23
Anyone remember keikiland in ala moana? And I loved the fried chicken and the ham sandwhich from Woolworth's ala moana.

Good memories.Ah Yes, fried chicken with crispy skin. Yumm. But I went for the roast turkey.

What about when Sears first store I believe was at the police main station location.

CheapCharlie
10-24-13, 17:54
GEM, almost forgot about that place. I do remember Gibsons in what is now the Servco center. Back in the day also had the skyslide, remember my dad taking us back when we was small kids. Also remember being one big panty and being afraid to slide down from the very top. Castle Park came later, always went there for the batting cages; since me and my brother played baseball.

Uki Eater
10-24-13, 18:25
GEM, almost forgot about that place. I do remember Gibsons in what is now the Servco center. Back in the day also had the skyslide, remember my dad taking us back when we was small kids. Also remember being one big panty and being afraid to slide down from the very top. Castle Park came later, always went there for the batting cages; since me and my brother played baseball.How many GEM department stores had? There was the one on Ward where Sports Authority is now, in Dillingham across Kapalama Shopping Center and in Waipahu where Don Quiote is now. I use to go GEMs to play arcade games. The skyslide was across FHB and Don Quiote where the car dealership is now.

I miss Castle Park which use to be at Stadium Mall where Kmart and Sack and Save and O'reilly Auto Parts are at now. It had mini golf, arcade games in the castle, go cart racing and a small waterpark in the back.

Don Quiote use to be Daiei and before that, it was Holiday Mart. Back then, could buy 5,000 firecrackers for under $5. Pretty nuts back then. Arakawas in Waipahu, had Coronet the fabric store. Pay N Save and Payless store. I use to like eating Pioneer Chicken.

CheapCharlie
10-24-13, 18:41

Good memories.What about Playwell that was at Pearlridge, where Payless shoes is now? Before there was Toys are Us, there was Playwell; which had way cooler toys back then. Also had that playground in front too!

Hello Kitty
10-24-13, 20:51
What about Playwell that was at Pearlridge, where Payless shoes is now? Before there was Toys are Us, there was Playwell; which had way cooler toys back then. Also had that playground in front too!Pearlridge Fun Factory use to have bumper cars. Don't remember if it was call Fun Factory at the time.

Lowlys One
10-24-13, 21:17

Good memories.Yup I remember keikiland in ala moana, wasn't there one in pearlridge as well or was it Kahala mall?

Bikini
10-24-13, 21:26
La Ronde on top of the Ala Moana building.

La Mancha where Sam Sung plaza is. They had a blind pianist.

Jolly Roger on Kalakaua.

Kalakaua was two way and you could actually park on the street.

Beretania and King were two way.

There was a night club on the beach by the Memorial but Frank Fasi whacked it.
Trader Vic's where Honolulu Club is now.

SCJohn
10-24-13, 21:59
We may be classmates.Went to UH 77-80. I now live in California.

SCJohn
10-24-13, 22:08
It was the disco era. Hula Hut, Pagoda and Tiki's.

The best Sunday Brunch was at the Hilton.

Swimming in the Nadatorium.

USukebe2
10-24-13, 22:51
It was the disco era. Hula Hut, Pagoda and Tiki's.Hula Hut used to be my second house on the weekends and holidays. Back then temporary driver's license was paper so could get in under age. Haha The one at Princess Kaiulani, Point After, Pagoda and Bobby McGee's wasn't bad either. Didn't really care for the other clubs though. But those were the days when they had live bands playing, none of this BS DJ sh*t.

But I also had a hard time choosing between clubbing or listening to music at places like the Toppe ada Shoppe, Horatio's or the Ranch House.

TongueLover696
10-24-13, 23:37

<Snip>. LOL.I drove cab back in '77 and had a nice older couple from San Fran request a Korean dinner. Not many places around back then so I took them to a nice Korean restaurant on 12th in Kaimuki. They weren't happy with the place and used the yellow pages to find Arirang, which is the name of a well known gourmet K-restaurant in San Fran and called me to take them there, instead. I didn't know better so took them and dropped off. Minutes later, got another call to come get them, "right away". When they walked in they were seated at a table that hadn't been cleared, and all they could say was that they weren't ever eating off those tables after seeing the waitress "pick up the tip".

Harry5142
10-25-13, 00:49
I used to work at the Pay and Save in Salt Lake, where the Long's is now. Me and my co-workers would eat at Sizzlers, where the McD's is now, on Saturday mornings before opening the store. And who could forget Kelly's on the corner of Puuloa and Nimitz where South Seas motorcycle is currently located? The food wasn't great, the place looked like the 70's but for some reason, I miss it.

I went to Moanalua High School, and me and my classmates would leave campus to go to Jack In the Box in Mapunapuna... Gibsons was still there. We'd go to Bob's Big Boy after football games. I remember when the old Soon's Barbecue had to close because of a grease fire. It was a good day when they re-opened. I remember Castle Park as well.

I also remember the Rose City Diner, Sunset Grill and the Black Orchid on Restaurant Row. The restaurant at JC Penney's Ala Moana had a really good cheeseburger and apple pie.

I wonder what ever happened to the people who worked at these places?

Honolulu808
10-25-13, 02:24
Small kid time.

Sky Slide at Wigwom on Nimitz / Dillingham, playing games at the old bowling alley on Bethel St and Chaplain Ln in the basement. Diving for quarters at Aloha Tower when the boats came in. Swimming at the Natatorium, hanging up under the bleachers, selling newspaper at Honolulu Stadium. "Lineups 10 cents".

Big kid time.

Drag racing at Sandy Beach then moved to Halawa Valley. Did I race anyone? I had a 68' white Camaro. Could not beat the mid-engine Pinto.

Jzjz
10-25-13, 02:33
The spencecliff restaurants were classic. Ranch House in Aina Haina had Ono prime rib & Peter Moon played there. Always would go to the one on Nimitz before going to airport with family. Good memories. Anyone remember the name?

Had another one at Kaneohe Shopping Ctr with a treasure chest of presents for kids. Can't remember the name of that one. Was it Jolly Rogers?

You guys remember when ala moana had an amusement park with tiny boat ride, flying saucer, & mini Ferris wheel. It was where farrels ice cream was. The sand box at ala moana was also a classic meeting place.

Dis one good forum.

Ocolumbo
10-25-13, 02:44
I used to work at the Pay and Save in Salt Lake, where the Long's is now. Me and my co-workers would eat at Sizzlers, where the McD's is now, on Saturday mornings before opening the store. And who could forget Kelly's on the corner of Puuloa and Nimitz where South Seas motorcycle is currently located? The food wasn't great, the place looked like the 70's but for some reason, I miss it.

I went to Moanalua High School, and me and my classmates would leave campus to go to Jack In the Box in Mapunapuna... Gibsons was still there. We'd go to Bob's Big Boy after football games. I remember when the old Soon's Barbecue had to close because of a grease fire. It was a good day when they re-opened. I remember Castle Park as well.

I also remember the Rose City Diner, Sunset Grill and the Black Orchid on Restaurant Row. The restaurant at JC Penney's Ala Moana had a really good cheeseburger and apple pie.

I wonder what ever happened to the people who worked at these places?Met Lyle Alzado at Black Orchid. He was still big, but had bandana covering his head. I walked up to him and stuck out my hand to shake. He looked down at me for more than a few seconds, saw that I was not going away, and shook my hand. Too bad about the steroids.

Jj6969
10-25-13, 02:44
GEM, almost forgot about that place. I do remember Gibsons in what is now the Servco center. Back in the day also had the skyslide, remember my dad taking us back when we was small kids. Also remember being one big panty and being afraid to slide down from the very top. Castle Park came later, always went there for the batting cages; since me and my brother played baseball.The skyslide was moved several times. I think it was originally located in Kalihi on Colburn St. Where the old Wigwam store was located. BTW the name GEM's stands for government employee's merchandise. Also, don't forget Scotty's drive in and Rainbow rollerland, plus Checkers and Pogo. LOL!

Uki Eater
10-25-13, 02:48
plus Checkers and Pogo. LOL!Those 2 guys was up early in the mornings before the cartoons. Had Professor Fun on KHNL 13 to.

BoinkingForFun
10-25-13, 02:49
The skyslide was moved several times. I think it was originally located in Kalihi on Colburn St. Where the old Wigwam store was located. BTW the name GEM's stands for government employee's merchandise. Also, don't forget Scotty's drive in and Rainbow rollerland, plus Checkers and Pogo. LOL!...and was there there 2 or 3 different Checkers?

Lowlys One
10-25-13, 02:55
The spencecliff restaurants were classic. Ranch House in Aina Haina had Ono prime rib & Peter Moon played there. Always would go to the one on Nimitz before going to airport with family. Good memories. Anyone remember the name?

Had another one at Kaneohe Shopping Ctr with a treasure chest of presents for kids. Can't remember the name of that one. Was it Jolly Rogers?

You guys remember when ala moana had an amusement park with tiny boat ride, flying saucer, & mini Ferris wheel. It was where farrels ice cream was. The sand box at ala moana was also a classic meeting place.

Dis one good forum.Ithink you're talking about keikiland in ala moana, back when party center was the store. What was the name of the store in kahala mall that used to sell those nfl team stickers and everyone was trying to collect all 24 teams I think back then. The New England Patriots, Miami Dolphins and the New York Jets were the hardest to come by. And yes there was a drive inn named jolly rogers i know there was one in kahala where zippys is now, not sure about Kaneohe

Lowlys One
10-25-13, 03:02
Those 2 guys was up early in the mornings before the cartoons. Had Professor Fun on KHNL 13 to.If you was up that early then you had to have watched my favorite Speed Racer with or without Racer X!

Stangman808
10-25-13, 03:09
La Ronde on top of the Ala Moana building.

La Mancha where Sam Sung plaza is. They had a blind pianist.

Jolly Roger on Kalakaua.

Kalakaua was two way and you could actually park on the street.

Beretania and King were two way.

There was a night club on the beach by the Memorial but Frank Fasi whacked it.
Trader Vic's where Honolulu Club is now.I think the blind pianist was Ron Miyashiro.

The place on Waikiki Beach was the "Queens Surf Restaurant" and I think the Night Club there was the "Bare Foot Bar".

I also have fond memories of the "Bowl-O-Drome", the old Honolulu Stadium (aka Termite Palace), Chunkys Drive-In, Scottys Drive-In, Flamingo Restaurants, the Flamingo Chuckwagon, Columbia Inn, Kuhio Grill, Alakea Grill, Stardust Bowling Alley, Tori's Lunchroom, Chico's Pizza, Tom Thumb and Jet Model Car Raceways and there must be a bunch of other places I can't remember at the moment.

Honolulu808
10-25-13, 03:49
I think the blind pianist was Ron Miyashiro.

The place on Waikiki Beach was the "Queens Surf Restaurant" and I think the Night Club there was the "Bare Foot Bar".

I also have fond memories of the "Bowl-O-Drome", the old Honolulu Stadium (aka Termite Palace), Chunkys Drive-In, Scottys Drive-In, Flamingo Restaurants, the Flamingo Chuckwagon, Columbia Inn, Kuhio Grill, Alakea Grill, Stardust Bowling Alley, Tori's Lunchroom, Chico's Pizza, Tom Thumb and Jet Model Car Raceways and there must be a bunch of other places I can't remember at the moment.Ahhhh Tom Thumb's. I couldn't remember the name of the place. Thanks for the jolt in the old head.

SCJohn
10-25-13, 03:54
plus Checkers and Pogo. LOL!I met Pogo at a party and got his autograph! Great discussion. Brings back a lot of old memories.

Saturday w'restling at KGMB. Got to sit ring side once.

My GF lived in Salt Lake and I lived in town, we spent many a nights at Bob's Big Boy by Gibson's. She worked there in during High School.

How about submarine races off of Diamond Head Lookout? We'd take our dates there to make out.

Stangman808
10-25-13, 04:13
I remember those listening booths when Tower Record was on Piikoi across Sears Ala Moana. And Jellies was on Keeaumoku where Walmart is now then going to HK's for Chicken Katsu or Masa's Massive Plate Lunch on Makaloa.I think Masa's was actually on Kamaile Street which no longer exist because it was eliminated when they built the Walmart. Masa's then moved to the corner of Liliha and Kuakini Street where they eventually closed down.

Stangman808
10-25-13, 04:22
Don't forget Aredang (sp) on Kapiolani across from Honolulu Chevrolet. That girl who smoked cigs in her pussy and grabbed stacks of quarters that guy would put in from of them then she spits it out one quarter at a time.

Don't forget. Hotel Street.I don't know if that place at Kapiolani and Atkinson had a different name before, but I remember it as The Stop Lite bar across from Aloha Motors which was a Chevrolet, Oldsmobile and GMC dealership. There was an Arirang Bar at the corner of Kaheka and Liona Street. On Hotel Street, Club Huba Huba and the places with the live sex shows.

USukebe2
10-25-13, 04:43
"Memories, pressed between the pages of my mind.

Memories, sweetened through the ages just like wine.

Quite thoughts come floating down and settle softly to the ground.

Like golden autumn leaves around my feet.

I touch them and they burst apart with sweet memories".

I'm sure you guys that have been posting here all recognize the lyrics to this song. Thought it was appropriate. Eh Cheap Charlie, thanks for an awesome thread and taking us down memory lane. Like you said, "gone but not forgotten".

Stangman808
10-25-13, 05:29
I met Pogo at a party and got his autograph! Great discussion. Brings back a lot of old memories.

My GF lived in Salt Lake and I lived in town, we spent many a nights at Bob's Big Boy by Gibson's. She worked there in during High School.

How about submarine races off of Diamond Head Lookout? We'd take our dates there to make out.Oh yeah, 50th State Big Time Wrestling at the Civic Auditorium and live from the KGMB Studios. King Ripper Collins, Handsome Johnny Barend, Missing Link, Sammy Steamboat, Neff Maiava, Ed Francis, Nick Bockwinkle, Chief Billy Whitewolf, Odd Job Tosh Togo, Curtis Iaukea, Lord Tallyho Blears, Freddie Blassie, Kongozon, Giant Baba, and so many others.

And before Checkers and Pogo, there was Captain Honolulu.

Honolulu808
10-25-13, 05:37
Talking about Civic Auditorium don't forget Roller Derby. I remember seeing Jimmy Hendrix at the green building on King St. By Keeaumoku where the Interstate Building stands today.

Hypo Luxa
10-25-13, 07:31
We may be classmates.You guys may be... In fact, I'll bet a LOT of us know each other, but don't know we know each other, LOL! If we ever had a meet and greet, we'd probably meet about three or four people we know... I know some of my friends are pussy hounds, haha!

Hypo Luxa
10-25-13, 07:42
I also remember the Rose City Diner, Sunset Grill and the Black Orchid on Restaurant Row. The restaurant at JC Penney's Ala Moana had a really good cheeseburger and apple pie.Oh man, I miss starting my weekends off Friday after work at the Row Bar! If me and my buds hooked up with a table of chicas, we'd head to The Wave or Pink Cadillac together, and then in some cases, breakfast in the morning! If no girls were ripe for picking, then we'd head to Studebaker's and usually find a group of girls to continue with, or at least pair off with a bud and find two girls. The trick was to always get them out of their planned night into another club where we were calling the shots... That method worked wonders!

Ah, yes... I miss Restaurant Row from the late-'80's / early-'90's.

I wonder what ever happened to the people who worked at these places?I dated a couple of waitresses from the Row Bar. They always hired the honeys! Once there was a local waitress who I was always sweet on. She noticed that me and my friend were sitting at a table with a couple of girls. I went to the bar to get another beer and she came up to me. I told her that the girl next to me would not leave and couldn't take a hint, and that I had a problem being an outright jerk telling her to leave. Well, when I went back to the table the same waitress comes by a few minutes later. She comes right up to me and hugs me, then plants a kiss on me and says she'll see me at home later. WOW!!! That trick worked... clinger chick left and I actually nutted up and asked the waitress out. We dated for a few weeks, but morphed into friends. I wonder what she's up to these days!

Dorobonecko
10-25-13, 08:14
I used to go downtown a lot and remember when Fort Street was not a mall.

Used to love Woolworth's. I think it was the first place I ever ate pizza, only 19 cents a slice. They had a great okazuya too. I would sit at the counter with my mom and order a green river.

Liberty House had the best toy department and their Christmas window displays were awesome. So were the Christmas decorations which they put up over King street each year.

CheapCharlie
10-25-13, 08:39
"Memories, pressed between the pages of my mind.

Memories, sweetened through the ages just like wine.

Quite thoughts come floating down and settle softly to the ground.

Like golden autumn leaves around my feet.

I touch them and they burst apart with sweet memories".

I'm sure you guys that have been posting here all recognize the lyrics to this song. Thought it was appropriate. Eh Cheap Charlie, thanks for an awesome thread and taking us down memory lane. Like you said, "gone but not forgotten".You're welcome. Glad you enjoying it! I having one blast reading the replies.

CheapCharlie
10-25-13, 08:46
I met Pogo at a party and got his autograph! Great discussion. Brings back a lot of old memories.

How about submarine races off of Diamond Head Lookout? We'd take our dates there to make out.I got to tell you guys about one of the guys I used to work with couple of years back. Braddah was Filipino, but was born and raised in Brooklyn. So him and this other guy was talking about stuff like Hau Bush and submarine races. The guy trips out and goes "wow, I got to see that; I never been to one submarine race before!" Oh man, still LMFAO everytime I think about that.

Kalani69
10-25-13, 13:25

Used to love Woolworth's. I think it was the first place I ever ate pizza, only 19 cents a slice. They had a great okazuya too. I would sit at the counter with my mom and order a green river.

Liberty House had the best toy department and their Christmas window displays were awesome. So were the Christmas decorations which they put up over King street each year.MAN, you must be as freaking old as I am. Were you the kid I used to catch the ELECTRIC trolley with from Kaimuki to go downtown?

Akusan
10-25-13, 14:45

Liberty House had the best toy department and their Christmas window displays were awesome. So were the Christmas decorations which they put up over King street each year.Gee we must be around the same age as I use to live around downtown and yes I do remember Downtown Fort St and King St with all the Christmas decorations. Those days you could really feel the Christmas spirit not like today. I remember practically the whole neighborhood going every Friday or Saturday evening walking to Toyo or Nippon theaters to watch all the Samurai and Ninja movies. I also loved Woolworths sitting at the counter eating hot dogs, going to Kress store and Liberty House.

Do you remember Princess theater (where Kukui Plaza is now) and the YMCA where Pali Longs is? I still remember me and my friends trying to sneak into Princess Theater to watch Jayne Mansfield Promises, Promises. Back in those days, "time" seemed to go by slowly and be much happier and fun!

Papio
10-25-13, 16:34
You guys remember? Unbelievable how time passes by. Use to catch crab at Ala Wai.

Dorobonecko
10-25-13, 17:21
MAN, you must be as freaking old as I am. Were you the kid I used to catch the ELECTRIC trolley with from Kaimuki to go downtown?Nope, I lived in Kalihi near KPT. But yah, I'm freakin old. Used to hang out at the slot car place at Gulick and King St to watch my friend race his car around the track. My parents couldn't afford to buy me one but that was ok. Anyway to get there we took a shortcut thru the butcherman's property and hope that he wouldn't chase after us with his butcher knife. I think that was just before they built the H1 thru Kalihi.

Oldee
10-25-13, 18:05
Were any of you bros ever in a social club in HS? The ONLY purpose of the clubs was to meet with girls in girl clubs from other schools. The get togethers were usually dances with live band not uncommon. Must have met over 1 k chicks from other schools in 3 years being we had socials almost every Fri. Sat. And even sundays throughout the year. If you were popular in HS, garans you were in one whether boy or girl I cut my teeth in mongering through social clubs as a kid. Got to go many proms because of social clubs, hehe. Like any dumbass kid back then, didn't realize how good we had back then. I remember having to steal pikake flowers from the diamond head pikake "farms" which were really houses with pikeke trees in the yard to make my own pikake leis because couldn't afford to buy leis at dollar a strand, LOL. Rental tux was 10 bucks.

After HS, it was the private parties at houses or hotels and discos! Dimensions at Tiki, Glass Candle at Dukes, Liz Damon at Cest Cibon, Hula hut, Hawaiian hut, Point After, Dances at Hemmingway Hall at UH, Magic Mushroom, etc. This was early to mid 70's. EVERYONE of age on the island went. To this day, I've always wondered how the next generation met chicks from around the island after the disco era. Where do civilian girls go to meet guys these days? I don't think the girl next door types go kiddie bars or niteclubs right? Those were fun innocent times back then.

Honolulu808
10-25-13, 18:30
Bobbie Magees.

Spats.

Jazz Cellar.

Red Lion.

Shore Bird.

Nicks Fish Market.

Rumors.

Anna Bananas.

Secrets (after hours).

PupuPop2
10-25-13, 18:31
Were any of you bros ever in a social club in HS? The ONLY purpose of the clubs was to meet with girls in girl clubs from other schools. The get togethers were usually dances with live band not uncommon. Must have met over 1 k chicks from other schools in 3 years being we had socials almost every Fri. Sat. And even sundays throughout the year. If you were popular in HS, garans you were in one whether boy or girl I cut my teeth in mongering through social clubs as a kid. Got to go many proms because of social clubs, hehe. Like any dumbass kid back then, didn't realize how good we had back then. I remember having to steal pikake flowers from the diamond head pikake "farms" which were really houses with pikeke trees in the yard to make my own pikake leis because couldn't afford to buy leis at dollar a strand, LOL. Rental tux was 10 bucks.

After HS, it was the private parties at houses or hotels and discos! Dimensions at Tiki, Glass Candle at Dukes, Liz Damon at Cest Cibon, Hula hut, Hawaiian hut, Point After, Dances at Hemmingway Hall at UH, Magic Mushroom, etc. This was early to mid 70's. EVERYONE of age on the island went. To this day, I've always wondered how the next generation met chicks from around the island after the disco era. Where do civilian girls go to meet guys these days? I don't think the girl next door types go kiddie bars or niteclubs right? Those were fun innocent times back then.YIS dances at the old Eagle's Lodge on Atkinson was popular in my day. I was in bands that played at those dances there, Hemingway Hall, YMCA socials etc. Oh yeah. Lotta of hot chicks, one night stands in the car at Magic Island, beach parties down by second concession etc.

Good times, great memories. Yeah...I know. I am an old fut monger. Still kicking. LOL.

PupuPop2
10-25-13, 18:37
I used to go there to get the hard-to-find concert DVDs. Sad to see it (and KFC) torn down. Wondering what is going to be built there.

Here's a pic of the building as it looked in the early 1970's.

282567Wal Greens is building their "flagship" superstore on that lot.

Rotten Otto
10-25-13, 18:43
Capt. Honolulu where are you when we need you? We hardly knew ye...

PupuPop2
10-25-13, 18:46
1971 I caught my Dad fucking around with 2 blondes there at 3:30 AM one Sunday morning after clubbing with my homeboys. The best part...my brother-in-law was his partner in crime. They became my servants from that time on. They took a gamble and lost. FOOLS. LOL.

Dorobonecko
10-25-13, 19:03
Do you remember Princess theater (where Kukui Plaza is now) and the YMCA where Pali Longs is? I still remember me and my friends trying to sneak into Princess Theater to watch Jayne Mansfield Promises, Promises. Back in those days, "time" seemed to go by slowly and be much happier and fun!I vaguely remember Princess Theatre but I though it was somewhere below Beretania St. I used to go there in the 70's to watch softcore Japanese porn after classes at KCC. I would also worry that my dentist would see me since his office was nearby.

Lowlys One
10-25-13, 19:36
You guys remember? Unbelievable how time passes by. Use to catch crab at Ala Wai.Did you ever try catching that big samoan crab that live right behind the Marco Polo, this crab is legendary, he'll just rip a regular crab net which he barely fits in as for the deep nets he breaks those to, this guy the last I heard was way over 5 pounds closer to ten is what I estimate it.

Chik0848
10-25-13, 19:43
Gee we must be around the same age as I use to live around downtown and yes I do remember Downtown Fort St and King St with all the Christmas decorations. Those days you could really feel the Christmas spirit not like today. I remember practically the whole neighborhood going every Friday or Saturday evening walking to Toyo or Nippon theaters to watch all the Samurai and Ninja movies. I also loved Woolworths sitting at the counter eating hot dogs, going to Kress store and Liberty House.

Do you remember Princess theater (where Kukui Plaza is now) and the YMCA where Pali Longs is? I still remember me and my friends trying to sneak into Princess Theater to watch Jayne Mansfield Promises, Promises. Back in those days, "time" seemed to go by slowly and be much happier and fun!Do you remember the greasy French fries from Kress? I don't remember how much it cost, but I remember getting it in a white paper bag and we slammed it with ketchup and pepper. I also remember the okazuya next to Kawananakoa Intermediate before Pali Hwy. The chow fun was really great with shoyu and pepper. I think the HRT bus fare was .10. Sure brings back some great memories. Great thread.

Chik0848
10-25-13, 19:46

After HS, it was the private parties at houses or hotels and discos! Dimensions at Tiki, Glass Candle at Dukes, Liz Damon at Cest Cibon, Hula hut, Hawaiian hut, Point After, Dances at Hemmingway Hall at UH, Magic Mushroom, etc. This was early to mid 70's. EVERYONE of age on the island went. To this day, I've always wondered how the next generation met chicks from around the island after the disco era. Where do civilian girls go to meet guys these days? I don't think the girl next door types go kiddie bars or niteclubs right? Those were fun innocent times back then.I remember seeing Liz Damon at the Hong Kong Junk in the Ilikai with Sedette Sakauye. Is she the same Liz who now works in Vegas at the Fremont?

Chik0848
10-25-13, 20:01
Chunky's cheeseburger.

Kc drive in.

Shakey's pizza.

Columbia inn complete meal.

Wow memories.I still remember the $1.50 rib steak with fries and mac salad. Way back when I made $1.25 per hour working at a gas station. Dang, I had to work nearly two hours to be able to afford the rib steak. Even Diner's DI on Keeaumoku had the huge rib steaks, except it was like $2.50 in the 80's. I stood in line (or swayed in line) after the KBs.

Oldee
10-25-13, 22:02
I remember seeing Liz Damon at the Hong Kong Junk in the Ilikai with Sedette Sakauye. Is she the same Liz who now works in Vegas at the Fremont?Yeah, she was working there last I heard. She was a hottie back in the day. I knew thier manager when they started who was just out of HS and much younger than the band members.

Ok, how many of you bros ever worked cannery? Dole or Del Monte or Libbys. Was there or gas station for most HS kids baxk then as was hard get summer jobs. LOT of hot chicks worked cannery too.

Interesting fact: Back in the day, it was not uncommon for elementary kids to go school barefeet. It wasnt cuz was poor as plenty kids did it. We had hard sole feet back then. Da poky stuff neva bodda us cuz had a thick layer of skin built up from walking barefoot. I bet some of you no believe, lol.

Harry5142
10-25-13, 22:29
At the Row Bar around 1998-1999 there was this hottie named Misty, a tall girl, who worked there. She was a real sweetie and who could forget Flo Jalin who worked there for a few yars pror to her modeling career taking off.282901.

Oh man, I miss starting my weekends off Friday after work at the Row Bar! If me and my buds hooked up with a table of chicas, we'd head to The Wave or Pink Cadillac together, and then in some cases, breakfast in the morning! If no girls were ripe for picking, then we'd head to Studebaker's and usually find a group of girls to continue with, or at least pair off with a bud and find two girls. The trick was to always get them out of their planned night into another club where we were calling the shots... That method worked wonders!

Ah, yes... I miss Restaurant Row from the late-'80's / early-'90's.

I dated a couple of waitresses from the Row Bar. They always hired the honeys! Once there was a local waitress who I was always sweet on. She noticed that me and my friend were sitting at a table with a couple of girls. I went to the bar to get another beer and she came up to me. I told her that the girl next to me would not leave and couldn't take a hint, and that I had a problem being an outright jerk telling her to leave. Well, when I went back to the table the same waitress comes by a few minutes later. She comes right up to me and hugs me, then plants a kiss on me and says she'll see me at home later. WOW!!! That trick worked... clinger chick left and I actually nutted up and asked the waitress out. We dated for a few weeks, but morphed into friends. I wonder what she's up to these days!

Uki Eater
10-25-13, 22:51
Bobbie Magees.

Spats.

Jazz Cellar.

Red Lion.

Shore Bird.

Nicks Fish Market.

Rumors.

Anna Bananas.

Secrets (after hours).Is this Bobbie Mcgees Conglomeration in Waikiki? I know had The Point After club in the Hawaiian Regent Hotel and it later changed to Eurasia. Maharaja was before Zanzabar in the Waikiki Trade Center. Upstairs had Fashion 45 and before that was Maze.

There was Blue Zebras at Restaurant row and then it became Mystiques. Also, there was World Cafe at Restaurant Row and it later moved to the Nimitz Business Plaza. There was also Blue Tropix across from FN strip club near 24 hr Fitness on Kapiolani.

Honolulu808
10-26-13, 00:09
Somehow when I read Resturant Row I think not to long ago. That area to me when I think "Back in the Day" I think of Honolulu Ironworks and all the quancet huts in Kakaako. Aloha Tower had the second floor with the ramp you drive up with the car, no bars nor Aloha Tower Markerplace, could fish off the pier and lay crab nets for blue pincher crabs. Dive for quarters when the ships came in cause couldn't fish. Army Surplus on the corner of Nuuanu and Merchant. Hawaii Times Building was a Japanese Newspaper company. Oh and Kaya's.

Dogdoy
10-26-13, 00:34
Bobbie Magees.

Spats.

Jazz Cellar.

Red Lion.

Shore Bird.

Nicks Fish Market.

Rumors.

Anna Bananas.

Secrets (after hours).I played in a rock band at the Jazz Cellar in the mid 80's and that place was rockiin'! The place was packed every night with local and tourist chicks and as a "rock star" got laid every night without making any effort. Those were the days! Now I'm a monger who has to pay for pussy. .

Hypo Luxa
10-26-13, 02:07
At the Row Bar around 1998-1999 there was this hottie named Misty, a tall girl, who worked there. She was a real sweetie and who could forget Flo Jalin who worked there for a few yars pror to her modeling career taking off.282901.I totally remember Flo Jalin working there! I used to see her at my neighborhood post office every now and then on the weekends too. She looked delicious on Saturday mornings!!

I also remember Patricia Ford working out at Gold's Gym (now 24-Hr Fitness) on Kapiolani. She would get on the stairmaster machine, and EVERY SINGLE treadmill behind her would be in use by guys with a queue of guys waiting, LOL! She was a sight to behold in person!

Hypo Luxa
10-26-13, 02:12
Somehow when I read Resturant Row I think not to long ago.Believe it or not, it's 25th Anniversary is upon us.

Hypo Luxa
10-26-13, 02:19
I played in a rock band at the Jazz Cellar in the mid 80's and that place was rockiin'! The place was packed every night with local and tourist chicks and as a "rock star" got laid every night without making any effort. Those were the days! Now I'm a monger who has to pay for pussy. .I used to love the Jazz Cellar! Me and a buddy would hit Pure Platinum on Kuhio, then after closing at 2 am, we'd go with some strippers over there and continue to get plastered and make out with them and in a few instances, go back to their apartments in Waiks and bone!

Used to love the bands there too!

TrueTemper
10-26-13, 15:37
Bobbie Magees.

Spats.

Jazz Cellar.

Red Lion.

Shore Bird.

Nicks Fish Market.

Rumors.

Anna Bananas.

Secrets (after hours).Cilly's,Rascal's,Atlantis, Annabelle's,Infinity, NicolasNicolas, Opus One.

Stangman808
10-26-13, 19:42
Bobbie Magees.

Spats.

Jazz Cellar.

Red Lion.

Shore Bird.

Nicks Fish Market.

Rumors.

Anna Bananas.

Secrets (after hours).Remember the local disco TV show "Hawaiian Moving Company" which was shot at Spats with host Kamasami Kong (sp).

A few more places no longer in operation:

Cinerama Theatre.

Varsity Theatre.

Queen Theatre.

King Theatre.

Kaimuki Theatre.

Waikiki Theatre (original one with the long courtyard area between the box office and theatre entrance).

Princess Theatre.

Waialae Drive-In Theatre.

Kam Drive-In Theatre.

Kailua Drive-In Theatre.

Royal Sunset Drive-In Theatre.

Aloha Motors (Chevrolet, Oldsmobile, GMC dealer).

Universal Motors (Chrysler, Plymouth, dealer).

Motor Supply (American Motors, Pontiac, Nash, Rambler, Hudson dealer).

Pflueger Lincoln-Mercury (Lincoln Continental, Mercury dealer).

Dodge Dealership on Beretania Street that's now a Goodwill Store. (Can't recall the name of that Dodge dealer. This place was once also BMW of Honolulu until they moved to Kapiolani location.)

Shuman Carriage Co. (Cadillac, Buick, Hummer dealer).

Love-Thomas Motors (Porsche, Audi dealer).

Castner Ford (Ford dealer).

Al Takahata Subaru (Subaru dealer).

Lippy Espinda Used Cars (Hele on Brudda).

Uki Eater
10-26-13, 20:04
Aloha Motors (Chevrolet, Oldsmobile, GMC dealer).I think Aloha Motors use to be in the area where Hawaii Convention Center is located now. There was a car dealership in that area.

Lowlys One
10-26-13, 20:08
Yeah, she was working there last I heard. She was a hottie back in the day. I knew thier manager when they started who was just out of HS and much younger than the band members.

Ok, how many of you bros ever worked cannery? Dole or Del Monte or Libbys. Was there or gas station for most HS kids baxk then as was hard get summer jobs. LOT of hot chicks worked cannery too.

Interesting fact: Back in the day, it was not uncommon for elementary kids to go school barefeet. It wasnt cuz was poor as plenty kids did it. We had hard sole feet back then. Da poky stuff neva bodda us cuz had a thick layer of skin built up from walking barefoot. I bet some of you no believe, lol.Didn't all us poor folks start at the Cannery, I lasted two days, then "no mas". I think it was Liz Damon and the orient express! Yep, the other kids used to go "hada shi", barefoot, I couldn't handle, my skin tender. Hell I guess back in the day people now days would say I was physically abused, but that's how it was back then, you lie or cheat you get whacked.....by mom with the yard stick or hanger, if was dad you'd get cracks and he'd make sure and told the teachers, if I get out of line just crack them, no scared.

Stangman808
10-26-13, 20:13
I think Aloha Motors use to be in the area where Hawaii Convention Center is located now. There was a car dealership in that area.Correct, Aloha Motors was located where the Hawaii Convention Center now sits.

Stangman808
10-26-13, 20:39
At the Row Bar around 1998-1999 there was this hottie named Misty, a tall girl, who worked there. She was a real sweetie and who could forget Flo Jalin who worked there for a few yars pror to her modeling career taking off.282901.In that photo is she wearing a top or she actually topless with body paint?

Bikini
10-26-13, 21:49
Salt Lake was just a salt water marsh. The freeway over Red Hill was just a two lane road. Pearl Ridge did not exist. Buz's Steak House was just a grass shack across the road from Waiau power plant. There was a sugar cane field in Makiki. Anybody remember Pearl City Tavern and the monkey bar?

Bikini
10-26-13, 22:26
I had a Filipina friend that would take me to the chicken fights in Waianae. It was a carnival atmosphere. I always bet on the chicken that belonged to an old Filipino man. A sure bet.

Oldee
10-26-13, 22:57
Salt Lake was just a salt water marsh. The freeway over Red Hill was just a two lane road. Pearl Ridge did not exist. Buz's Steak House was just a grass shack across the road from Waiau power plant. There was a sugar cane field in Makiki. Anybody remember Pearl City Tavern and the monkey bar?If you lived PC or Aiea, garans everyone knew and went PC Tavern at least once if not most of Honolulu. I knew many workers and the Japanese owner there. Had the Bonsai garden on the roof and 2 big fish tanks opposite the monkey bar. BTW; when I was small kid, they just built Ala Mo shopping Ctr which was just empty coral filled land. Waiks had ONLY 3 or 4 high rise hotels. Anyone remember the Builtmore hotel that they did the high explosiive way to tear it down? Damn, I suddenly feel super old now, LOL. Sorry to you younger guys if us old futs boring you guys, hehe.

Clean Sweep
10-26-13, 23:04
What about Kapiolani Drive Inn theatre, was located where Don Quiote (Kaheka St. } is now located? Going way back.

Oldee
10-26-13, 23:04
Didn't all us poor folks start at the Cannery, I lasted two days, then "no mas". I think it was Liz Damon and the orient express! Yep, the other kids used to go "hada shi", barefoot, I couldn't handle, my skin tender. Hell I guess back in the day people now days would say I was physically abused, but that's how it was back then, you lie or cheat you get whacked.....by mom with the yard stick or hanger, if was dad you'd get cracks and he'd make sure and told the teachers, if I get out of line just crack them, no scared.Remember when had beefs elementary or intermediate after school? I especially liked watching the girl catfights. Back then, most times didn't matter who won and the scrappers shook hands after the fight. Nowdays kids bring guns to school, scary!

Btw, I was a warubozu kid and had to put my hand out so the teacha could give me whacks. Had capital punishment back in the day but we sure respected our elders. Not today.

Jj6969
10-26-13, 23:08
If you lived PC or Aiea, garans everyone knew and went PC Tavern at least once if not most of Honolulu. I knew many workers and the Japanese owner there. Had the Bonsai garden on the roof and 2 big fish tanks opposite the monkey bar. BTW; when I was small kid, they just built Ala Mo shopping Ctr which was just empty coral filled land. Waiks had ONLY 3 or 4 high rise hotels. Anyone remember the Builtmore hotel that they did the high explosiive way to tear it down? Damn, I suddenly feel super old now, LOL. Sorry to you younger guys if us old futs boring you guys, hehe.Where was the Builtmore hotel located? The only place I know that came down with explosives was the Kaiser Medical Center, where the Hawaii Prince hotel is now. Also right next door where Outback steak house is there used to be the Marina theatres where we used to watch surfing movies.

Oldee
10-26-13, 23:27
Where was the Builtmore hotel located? The only place I know that came down with explosives was the Kaiser Medical Center, where the Hawaii Prince hotel is now. Also right next door where Outback steak house is there used to be the Marina theatres where we used to watch surfing movies.It was on Kakakaua around where Pac Beach is now give or take a block either side as far as I can remember. It was the first explosive demolition in Hawaii I believe so later the Kaiser demolition could copy doing same decades later.

Hypo Luxa
10-26-13, 23:49
Remember when had beefs elementary or intermediate after school? I especially liked watching the girl catfights.This is my favorite viral cat fight. Loud mouth high school girl talks shit to a quiet Filipina girl who is sitting there talking back to her calmly during the argument. Things change quickly the second that the blonde girl decides just beccause she is being quiet means she won't do anything when she touches her... Watch what happens!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0a4iDo5VBo

TongueLover696
10-27-13, 00:01
If you lived PC or Aiea, garans everyone knew and went PC Tavern at least once if not most of Honolulu. I knew many workers and the Japanese owner there. Had the Bonsai garden on the roof and 2 big fish tanks opposite the monkey bar. BTW; when I was small kid, they just built Ala Mo shopping Ctr which was just empty coral filled land. Waiks had ONLY 3 or 4 high rise hotels. Anyone remember the Builtmore hotel that they did the high explosiive way to tear it down? Damn, I suddenly feel super old now, LOL. Sorry to you younger guys if us old futs boring you guys, hehe.I arrived in Hawaii on Memorial Day of '72 and spent my first night at the Biltmore Hotel. The next day they began the process of tearing it down. I think it was about a week later that the Italian demolition specialists finally did the implosion. Back then there weren't very many hotel options and 'The Jungle' was almost all single family houses that are nearly all gone, now.

Later that summer, I met my wife to be and she worked at a little place called Burger Heaven in Waikiki which was part of the Spencer's restaurant chain. We got great deals at all of the Spencer's restaurants and bars around town.

I dropped in on the VA office down on Nimitz to start my benefits at UH, walking barefoot from Manoa, by way of Kalakaua and the Zoo / Queen's Beach, which reeked of that sunscreen that had a little girl's ass bared by her dog, because none of the Royal Hawaiian tanning fluids had been invented by Herbie and his band of druggies who made some of the finest bamboo and leather bongs, and also marketed some of Hawaii's finest herbal products out of the house with the orange door behind the University Lab School. Picture a crafts fair at Church of the Crossroads with very potent second hand smoke clouds rolling by. I met several of Honolulu's premier entrepreneurs in the basement of that house, including a prominent jeweler who built up his capital by delivering pillow cases full of one-pound "sample bags" from "the Greenhouse" on the Big Island.

Sex wax available everywhere back then, including the strip shows on Hotel St. There was an AMP on the corner of Bishop and Hotel, and several private clubs around town. The mahus had their own block of Hotel St. With a famous transvestite revue, but I can't recall any of the names from that area.

Bikini
10-27-13, 00:30
The night club on Hotel St was the Glades. They had a 'Boys will Be Girls' revue. Prince Hanalei was the star. Very popular place. Boys in girls clothes had to wear a badge saying 'I am a boy' at that time. That would be helpful now for you downtown mongers.

For free entertainment, we would park at the Kahala Beach Park and walk down the beach and watch Danny Kalekini.

There was a restaurant on Kapiolani called Victoria Station. It was a train car converted to restaurant. Excellent prime rib.

There was a club on Kalakaua, across from where CC is now, called Forbidden City. Their star dancer had 4 D's or more. When they get that big who's counting? She was very well known around town. She had to retire due to back problems. Then they moved to the airport where their main attraction was naked waiters. Very popular with the ladies at lunch time.

NightWing24
10-27-13, 02:40
Wow, and here I thought I've seen changes go on around this island.

Probably the only post I can relate to was about Woolworth in downtown, and I was on the tail-end of that being an 80's baby.

Stangman808
10-27-13, 03:27
The Wisteria Restaurant.

KC Drive-In (Home of the Waffle Dog).

Ideta Restaurant.

Suehiros.

Compadres.

McCully Chop Suey.

Woo Fats.

Tasty Broiler.

Hungry Lion Restaurant.

Hall Saimin.

Washington Saimin Stand.

Star Supermarkets (Bought out by Times Supermarkets).

Chun Hoon Market.

Kings Bakery and Coffee Shop (As a side note the MS who ran Spot Fantasy AMP upstairs later opened a restaurant called Kings Cave in the Kings Bakery location after the AMP closed).

Hinode
10-27-13, 03:52
I don't know how this relates to scoring pussy, but here's my brief 0.02 cents.

Hakaida, Kamen Rider v3, Raiden, Zaboga, Inazu man, Rainbow man, 01, v1 & v2, Kikaida.

Checkers and Pogo, biatch.

Barney's Burger House in Ewa Beach.

Tanaka store in Ewa Beach.

Super slide in Waipahu.

Tilt in Waipahu.

Ipso Facto in Aiea.

Masa's massive plate lunch.

The lunch wagon at "The Pier". Stainless steel silver truck. Ono grinds.

Kwong On in Kaimuki.

Kamehameha Bakery in Kaimuki.

OIA west and east. None of this red white and blue crap.

Tuli Amosa.

Amosa Amosa.

Lene Amosa.

Larry Khan Smith.

Adriann Murrell.

Kascha.

Real hookers on California Ave.

Real 80's big hair hookers on Uluniu side street Waikiki (yeah!

I'm drunk, dumb thread but just goes to show I ain't that young (anymore).

Here's to the "good ol days".

Uki Eater
10-27-13, 04:29
Where do civilian girls go to meet guys these days? I don't think the girl next door types go kiddie bars or niteclubs right? Those were fun innocent times back then.They go on those Social Media Sites like Facebook, Twitter, Friendster. They also go on those chats like Google talk and YM. The girl next door types do go clubbing if their outgoing female friends drags them out to go clubbing. There's not that many happening clubs these days compared to before.

These days, the younger crowd go to.

First Fridays in down town.

Dave & Busters on Ward.

Champions Sports bar.

Krazy Karaoke.

Nocturna (karaoke / video gaming) at Restaurant Row.

Clubbing at Ginzas on Kona street or M at Restaurant Row.

Mai Tai bar in Ala Moana.

Pearls in Ala Moana.

The Republic (fka O Lounge) above V Lounge.

The rooftop at D & be on Wed night.

LoveToFindJoy
10-27-13, 16:22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVwCJE8gD_8

Saw the name on this forum-brought back some memories. Googled and found this on youtube-it did not have an adult blocker so I was surprised to see her in her birthday suit. Hope it loads if not the file is Patricia Ford collage. Never saw her playboy spreads so this is a treat. (halloween reference).

LoveToFindJoy
10-27-13, 16:51
Anyone remember the club that was on the Kalakaua a little past the old kc drive inn about where the Jack in a Box was (now some drug store) that advertised live sex acts-was it true?

Lowlys One
10-27-13, 18:34
I don't know how this relates to scoring pussy, but here's my brief 0.02 cents.

Hakaida, Kamen Rider v3, Raiden, Zaboga, Inazu man, Rainbow man, 01, v1 & v2, Kikaida.

Checkers and Pogo, biatch.

Barney's Burger House in Ewa Beach.

Tanaka store in Ewa Beach.

Super slide in Waipahu.

Tilt in Waipahu.

Ipso Facto in Aiea.

Masa's massive plate lunch.

The lunch wagon at "The Pier". Stainless steel silver truck. Ono grinds.

Kwong On in Kaimuki.

Kamehameha Bakery in Kaimuki.

OIA west and east. None of this red white and blue crap.

Tuli Amosa.

Amosa Amosa.

Lene Amosa.

Larry Khan Smith.

Adriann Murrell.

Kascha.

Real hookers on California Ave.

Real 80's big hair hookers on Uluniu side street Waikiki (yeah!

I'm drunk, dumb thread but just goes to show I ain't that young (anymore).

Here's to the "good ol days".Wait let me guess a Radford grad right?

Lowlys One
10-27-13, 18:36
The Wisteria Restaurant.

Ideta Restaurant.

Suehiros.

Compadres.

McCully Chop Suey.

Woo Fats.

Tasty Broiler.

Hungry Lion Restaurant.

Hall Saimin.

Washington Saimin Stand.

Chun Hoon Market.

Kings Bakery and Coffee Shop (As a side note the MS who ran Spot Fantasy AMP upstairs later opened a restaurant called Kings Cave in the Kings Bakery location after the AMP closed).Stang I swear that place Spot Relaxation was one of if not the first AMP that I know of!

Hinode
10-27-13, 20:08
Wait let me guess a Radford grad right?No. Your guess is just as bad as your sports picks. Haha. Kidding. I hail from the Leeward side of the island. That is all.

USukebe2
10-27-13, 21:05
Were any of you bros ever in a social club in HS? The ONLY purpose of the clubs was to meet with girls in girl clubs from other schools. If I'm not mistaken social clubs only existed in the 70's. Not sure if there were any after that. But yeah it was a great way to meet chicks from other schools. Usually evening gatherings but also had picnics and join car washes. Back then I think everyone wanted to socialize with the clubs from McKinley and Roosevelt. IMO they had the hottest chicks. Every Friday and Saturday, different location around the island. After each social we would head down to our clubhouse (Zippy's Moi'ili'ili) and rag on the guy who got stuck with the girl no one else wanted. Haha.

Speaking of live bands, anyone go to those reunion concerts that the local groups that played the nightclub circuits put on every once and a while? Would be pretty funny seeing all those gray haired grandpas and grandmas dancing to 3 Dog Night, Bread and Tower of Power just to name a few. If you see the guy with the walker with the florescent green tennis balls, that's probably me. LOL.

For those you you that hung out at Rumour's when they first opened in the early 80's. Remember the old Filipino man that used to go there every weekend? He was 80 years young and still dancing with the young chicks. God bless him, hope I'm still able to chase skirt when I'm 70, let alone stay up after 10 pm.

Honolulu808
10-27-13, 21:27
If I'm not mistaken social clubs only existed in the 70's. Not sure if there were any after that. But yeah it was a great way to meet chicks from other schools. Usually evening gatherings but also had picnics and join car washes. Back then I think everyone wanted to socialize with the clubs from McKinley and Roosevelt. IMO they had the hottest chicks. Every Friday and Saturday, different location around the island. After each social we would head down to our clubhouse (Zippy's Moi'ili'ili) and rag on the guy who got stuck with the girl no one else wanted. Haha.

Speaking of live bands, anyone go to those reunion concerts that the local groups that played the nightclub circuits put on every once and a while? Would be pretty funny seeing all those gray haired grandpas and grandmas dancing to 3 Dog Night, Bread and Tower of Power just to name a few. If you see the guy with the walker with the florescent green tennis balls, that's probably me. LOL.

For those you you that hung out at Rumour's when they first opened in the early 80's. Remember the old Filipino man that used to go there every weekend? He was 80 years young and still dancing with the young chicks. God bless him, hope I'm still able to chase skirt when I'm 70, let alone stay up after 10 pm.I was in a social club. Central and McKinley. For 3 years we would set up a shaved ice booth at the Diamondhead Crater Festivals. We partnered with girls from Kalani, Kaimuki & Roosevelt each year. Setup day before the festival, slept in the crater and camped out after the festival and help with the cleanup the next day. We would find money (lots of money) bags of weed, bags of coke. Club from Farrington wanted to join us the next year but there was no more festivals.

Kalani69
10-27-13, 22:11
If I'm not mistaken social clubs only existed in the 70's. Not sure if there were any after that. But yeah it was a great way to meet chicks from other schools. Usually evening gatherings but also had picnics and join car washes. Back then I think everyone wanted to socialize with the clubs from McKinley and Roosevelt. IMO they had the hottest chicks. Every Friday and Saturday, different location around the island. After each social we would head down to our clubhouse (Zippy's Moi'ili'ili) and rag on the guy who got stuck with the girl no one else wanted. Haha.

For those you you that hung out at Rumour's when they first opened in the early 80's. Remember the old Filipino man that used to go there every weekend? He was 80 years young and still dancing with the young chicks. God bless him, hope I'm still able to chase skirt when I'm 70, let alone stay up after 10 pm.Social clubs often connected to neighborhood YMCAs actually started in the late 50's or early 60's. I was in one starting in 1962.

Lowlys One
10-27-13, 22:33
It was on Kakakaua around where Pac Beach is now give or take a block either side as far as I can remember. It was the first explosive demolition in Hawaii I believe so later the Kaiser demolition could copy doing same decades later.The Biltmore used to stand where the Hyatt Regency Waikiki is now, was the second oldest hotel in Waikiki, the Royal Hawaiian is the oldest hotel in Waikiki and the state I believe.

Oldee
10-27-13, 22:48
The Biltmore used to stand where the Hyatt Regency Waikiki is now, was the second oldest hotel in Waikiki, the Royal Hawaiian is the oldest hotel in Waikiki and the state I believe.Hmmm, are you sure? I always thought the Moana Hotel was the oldest and later renovated and renamed Moana Surfrider. Both are old ones tho. Waikiki used to be my playground as a kid.

Oldee
10-27-13, 22:58
If I'm not mistaken social clubs only existed in the 70's. Not sure if there were any after that. But yeah it was a great way to meet chicks from other schools. Usually evening gatherings but also had picnics and join car washes. Back then I think everyone wanted to socialize with the clubs from McKinley and Roosevelt. IMO they had the hottest chicks. Every Friday and Saturday, different location around the island.

For those you you that hung out at Rumour's when they first opened in the early 80's. Remember the old Filipino man that used to go there every weekend? He was 80 years young and still dancing with the young chicks. God bless him, hope I'm still able to chase skirt when I'm 70, let alone stay up after 10 pm.You may have known girls I dated back then at McKinley and Rosevelt. Songleaders. You probably younger than me tho. Power to us old futs, LOL.

Back then, schools not in the ILH was considered a "country" school, hehe. That mean Aiea was a country school.

Kainoa
10-28-13, 00:58
Wait let me guess a Radford grad right?My guess is Campbell (Amosa's, Kahn-smith) or Leileihua (Adrian Murrell and Kascha). But you said West side so Campbell / Ewa boy!!

Lowlys One
10-28-13, 02:40
My guess is Campbell (Amosa's, Kahn-smith) or Leileihua (Adrian Murrell and Kascha). But you said West side so Campbell / Ewa boy!!I thought the Amosa's and Kahn smith were from Radford, no? Or was I mixing up them and the Salanoa's, Kahn Smith not military parents?

Lowlys One
10-28-13, 03:14
Hmmm, are you sure? I always thought the Moana Hotel was the oldest and later renovated and renamed Moana Surfrider. Both are old ones tho. Waikiki used to be my playground as a kid.Nope, I stand corrected, the Moana Surfrider is the oldest hotel in Waikiki, not sure why I thought the Royal Hawaiian was the oldest, especially since I once worked for the Sheraton hotels. I think the Sheraton chain came in and bought the Moana hotel and added the Surfrider either through building or buying that hotel, then renamed it the Moana Surfrider (the surfrider hotel was that building on the ewa side of the Moana main entrance) BTW the Hyatt Regency Waikiki is haunted, at least the ballroom / parking structure building.

Member 69
10-28-13, 03:33
Damn, you guys are old! LOL, LOL, Nah, edited to say, Damn am I old! I don't remember much since I came from Maui (Baldwin high) in the mid 70's. I was one of those that hung out at the bowling alley so I remember stadium BOD, kalakaua bowl (where 7-11 is now on young and kalakaua) and kaimuki bowl. I barely remember the termite palace, we ate at KG's after if had room. I snuck into chicos since I was only 17, was funny because I got plastered even though I wasn't supposed to drink, we had an intramural football team made up of dorm athletes from different islands. Since we didn't want to be in a frat we made like we were a dorm frat and named our team Sigma Gaffa, was a decent football team IMHO. On the way out of chicos everybody gave the beer pitchers and mugs that we used for parties in the dorms. I think I still have some of those mugs, LOL. Magoos had onolicious fried chicken. We didn't have weekend meals at the dorms then so I remember eating cup noodle and cup jorick the whole weekend.

The jocks one night took me to arirang, I think it was on kaheka one block from king street. Stop lite was on kapiolani. Walking through the quarry was an adventure since it kept flooding and was mostly just mud. Nautilus fitness was at the old ASB building in the basement. There was also one in kaimuki, in the building next to the parking lot (next to blue sea, LOL). I saw my first porn movie in kaimuki, was it queens theater? I forget already. My first barber was in kaimuki too, near azteca and where gekkos used to be. There also was a bar next door.

There was a pizza place where the now closed tomorrow is, I think it was round table (or red lion? Diner's was where walmart is, across the HMSA building. Remember a number of bars across makaloa street where walmart now is. Too much to remember but they keep coming back, wigwam on king street where longs was and now Ross'. Pucks alley had places to eat and party at night, I forget the names already.

On Maui I remember going over to yama's for late night grindz, that place was open very late and was one of the only places open late at night. We hung out at the old alley on vineyard street since my friend's dad managed the place, or aloha lanes (now a self storage place). Even though we were 15 we were already drinking, hanging out at the old pier area on the old beach road. There was a drive in theater where UH maui (MCC before that) is.

DaViper
10-28-13, 05:30
The Wisteria Restaurant.

Ideta Restaurant.

Suehiros.

Compadres.

McCully Chop Suey.

Woo Fats.

Tasty Broiler.

Hungry Lion Restaurant.

Hall Saimin.

Washington Saimin Stand.

Chun Hoon Market.

Kings Bakery and Coffee Shop (As a side note the MS who ran Spot Fantasy AMP upstairs later opened a restaurant called Kings Cave in the Kings Bakery location after the AMP closed).Man do I miss Washington samin stand and getting there hamburger stk plate...those were the days.

CheapCharlie
10-28-13, 07:54
Back in the day before had P.S., Nintendo and Microsoft. Space invaders, Galaxian, Asteriods, Donkey Kong and Pacman were what I and majority of the OGs played back in the day. Remember going to Waikiki, with friends and family. Had the Mitsukoshi building, Royal Hawaiian shopping Center and Waikiki Trade center. The Mitsukoshi building was the place I remember best. Mostly because had that mini train ride and that gunfighter game on that big ass screen. My cousin always used to brag about making high score or rainbow on Space invaders.

YoungIn808
10-28-13, 08:11
After reading a lot of your posts, I've realised that I should be taking notes from you LOL. Theres only a few names I recognize and a lot of heard from my family (yea, I'm kinda young), but non-the-less, I enjoy reading about what you all have experienced. Talking about which schools had / has the hottest chicks seems to be a timeless thing LOL. Keep the stories coming please and thank you.

Wn5912
10-28-13, 14:18
Back in the day before had P.S., Nintendo and Microsoft. Space invaders, Galaxian, Asteriods, Donkey Kong and Pacman were what I and majority of the OGs played back in the day. Remember going to Waikiki, with friends and family. Had the Mitsukoshi building, Royal Hawaiian shopping Center and Waikiki Trade center. The Mitsukoshi building was the place I remember best. Mostly because had that mini train ride and that gunfighter game on that big ass screen. My cousin always used to brag about making high score or rainbow on Space invaders.And there was foosball. Hanging out at Pucks Alley, Holiday Cue and many more place I forgot the name of. If you and your partner were good at foosball many a pair of hot asian chicks would drop their quarter down on the foosball table you are playing at to challenge. They were damn good at it too. Scored with them in more ways than one. Those days easy to meet the hot ones with also social clubs and all a senior brother metioned.

TrueTemper
10-28-13, 15:12

For those you you that hung out at Rumour's when they first opened in the early 80's. Remember the old Filipino man that used to go there every weekend? He was 80 years young and still dancing with the young chicks. God bless him, hope I'm still able to chase skirt when I'm 70, let alone stay up after 10 pm.His name was Pete and used to dance with all the babes. Rumour's before the renovations was mean. Saturdays night used get dance contested. Since haloween.

Coming up. Used to be crazy in the clubs.

SquirtLuva69
10-28-13, 15:29
Speaking of markets...taniguchi market..remember Everybody's Market?

Speedy's Superrette? Toyo's? LOL dating myself.

Man do I miss Washington samin stand and getting there hamburger stk plate...those were the days.

SquirtLuva69
10-28-13, 15:32
Remember Victoria Station?

Damn, you guys are old! LOL, LOL, Nah, edited to say, Damn am I old! I don't remember much since I came from Maui (Baldwin high) in the mid 70's. I was one of those that hung out at the bowling alley so I remember stadium BOD, kalakaua bowl (where 7-11 is now on young and kalakaua) and kaimuki bowl. I barely remember the termite palace, we ate at KG's after if had room. I snuck into chicos since I was only 17, was funny because I got plastered even though I wasn't supposed to drink, we had an intramural football team made up of dorm athletes from different islands. Since we didn't want to be in a frat we made like we were a dorm frat and named our team Sigma Gaffa, was a decent football team IMHO. On the way out of chicos everybody gave the beer pitchers and mugs that we used for parties in the dorms. I think I still have some of those mugs, LOL. Magoos had onolicious fried chicken. We didn't have weekend meals at the dorms then so I remember eating cup noodle and cup jorick the whole weekend.

The jocks one night took me to arirang, I think it was on kaheka one block from king street. Stop lite was on kapiolani. Walking through the quarry was an adventure since it kept flooding and was mostly just mud. Nautilus fitness was at the old ASB building in the basement. There was also one in kaimuki, in the building next to the parking lot (next to blue sea, LOL). I saw my first porn movie in kaimuki, was it queens theater? I forget already. My first barber was in kaimuki too, near azteca and where gekkos used to be. There also was a bar next door.

There was a pizza place where the now closed tomorrow is, I think it was round table (or red lion? Diner's was where walmart is, across the HMSA building. Remember a number of bars across makaloa street where walmart now is. Too much to remember but they keep coming back, wigwam on king street where longs was and now Ross'. Pucks alley had places to eat and party at night, I forget the names already.

On Maui I remember going over to yama's for late night grindz, that place was open very late and was one of the only places open late at night. We hung out at the old alley on vineyard street since my friend's dad managed the place, or aloha lanes (now a self storage place). Even though we were 15 we were already drinking, hanging out at the old pier area on the old beach road. There was a drive in theater where UH maui (MCC before that) is.

Oldee
10-28-13, 15:55
His name was Pete and used to dance with all the babes. Rumour's before the renovations was mean. Saturdays night used get dance contested. Since haloween.

Coming up. Used to be crazy in the clubs.Before it was Rumours, it was Hawaiian Hut open till 4 am. This is not to be confused with Hula Hut which had lines a block long weekends of chicks and guys waiting to get in. Places like Spats, Bobby Magees etc were more for older locals and tourists. Haha, I wonder if people going laugh at me in the near future at the KBs hitting on the younguns if not they laughing already at this ole fut, LOL.

In my days, it was about meeting someone you never knew at clubs or parties or wherever. Same with the chicks. Not so much meet a friend of a friend setups or today computer online friend. It was about social interation between sexes. Level playing field. Guys and chicks wanted to meet each other. Not good at conversation? Big handicap back then. Face to face, here and now. And yes, sex tonight, lol. The art of the chase game. Most of us like it whether we admit it or not, lol.

Oldee
10-28-13, 18:09
Back in the day before had P.S., Nintendo and Microsoft. Space invaders, Galaxian, Asteriods, Donkey Kong and Pacman were what I and majority of the OGs played back in the day. Remember going to Waikiki, with friends and family. Had the Mitsukoshi building, Royal Hawaiian shopping Center and Waikiki Trade center. The Mitsukoshi building was the place I remember best. Mostly because had that mini train ride and that gunfighter game on that big ass screen. My cousin always used to brag about making high score or rainbow on Space invaders.You forgot the original home video game. Pong. BTW, I used to play in foosball and pool tournaments. Anyone care to play me for beer? LOL.

Jj6969
10-28-13, 19:55
Back in the day before had P.S., Nintendo and Microsoft. Space invaders, Galaxian, Asteriods, Donkey Kong and Pacman were what I and majority of the OGs played back in the day. Remember going to Waikiki, with friends and family. Had the Mitsukoshi building, Royal Hawaiian shopping Center and Waikiki Trade center. The Mitsukoshi building was the place I remember best. Mostly because had that mini train ride and that gunfighter game on that big ass screen. My cousin always used to brag about making high score or rainbow on Space invaders.The game room you're talking about in the Mitsukoshi building was called Cosmic fantasy. The one in the Royal Hawaiian shopping center was Game world. Forgot what the one in the Waikiki trade center.

Jj6969
10-28-13, 20:16
Damn, you guys are old! LOL, LOL, Nah, edited to say, Damn am I old! I don't remember much since I came from Maui (Baldwin high) in the mid 70's. I was one of those that hung out at the bowling alley so I remember stadium BOD, kalakaua bowl (where 7-11 is now on young and kalakaua) and kaimuki bowl.Does any one remember the Kapiolani bowl and drinking in Ross's spare room? Hey 69 was the bowling alley on Maui called Maui bowling center? I remember watching my cousins bowl in the league and the lanes kept breaking down and they would finish like at midnight. LOL?

Uki Eater
10-28-13, 20:19
Back in the day before had P.S., Nintendo and Microsoft. Space invaders, Galaxian, Asteriods, Donkey Kong and Pacman were what I and majority of the OGs played back in the day. Remember going to Waikiki, with friends and family. Had the Mitsukoshi building, Royal Hawaiian shopping Center and Waikiki Trade center. The Mitsukoshi building was the place I remember best. Mostly because had that mini train ride and that gunfighter game on that big ass screen. My cousin always used to brag about making high score or rainbow on Space invaders.This was back in the early 80's when had Arcade games like Tron, Donkey Kong, Tempest, Centipede, Pac Man, Pole Position, Frogger, Qbert, Asteroids, Defender, Time Pilot, Dragons Lair,. Not many people played Dragons Lair because it cost more than a quarter to play. Remember the game Joust? You're a knight sitting on the big ostrich bird or stork with a joust and you collect the eggs. I use to love playing this game. Also had Sinistar where that big monster looking face comes out. Had Punch-Out the boxing game. Pac Man became huge back then when it came out after Space Invaders. In the late 80's, Street Fighter later came out. There was arcade systems at a number of the dept stores and supermarkets.

Dorobonecko
10-28-13, 21:08
Ala Moana Center had some really good bars before they expanded and ruined the place. I remember a bar in the center area across from Honolulu Book Shops, another (Coral Reef?) on the Makai side near Hopaco, and a Chinese restaurant with a bar on the Mauka side where Foodland is now. There was also a Mexican place near Slipper House which had a takeout counter in the front and a sit down restaurant in the back. I used to have a burrito and a Dos Equis or two while on my dinner break.

USukebe2
10-28-13, 21:49
Does any one remember the Kapiolani bowl and drinking in Ross's spare room? Was that the one on the corner of Kapiolani and Ward? What was the one on the top of Kalakaua where the 7-11 now sits?

Speaking of markets...taniguchi market..remember Everybody's Market?

Speedy's Superrette? Toyo's? LOL dating myself.Toyo Superette in Manoa. I went to Noelani elementary with their daughter. They lived just down the lane from the store and would walk thru the california grass to go to and from school. Back then the milkman would deliver milk to the houses. Shit that whole area up to Lowery Ave was pasture land with horses and we would go swimming in Manoa stream.

His name was Pete and used to dance with all the babes. Rumour's before the renovations was mean. Saturdays night used get dance contested. Since haloween. Coming up. Used to be crazy in the clubs.That's what I thought but wasn't sure. You get good memory that was over 30 years ago. Remember the "Hot Legs" contest? The good thing about Rumours was they wanted to be different from the clubs in Waikiki so they only hired hostesses, no bouncers or doormen. The hotel security had to take care of any problems, but always had a lot of HPD officers around every night so things never got out of hand.

Hinode
10-28-13, 22:12
My guess is Campbell (Amosa's, Kahn-smith) or Leileihua (Adrian Murrell and Kascha). But you said West side so Campbell / Ewa boy!!Kainoa is KOREK. From the dirty dirty south. Rep that 96706-.

TrueTemper
10-28-13, 22:54
Kainoa is KOREK. From the dirty dirty south. Rep that 96706-.I remember had choke ogo and opai. One of my classmates caught one hundred pound Ulua by the stream using talapia.

Hairyolos
10-29-13, 01:19
I remember growing up in Manoa. When the was still save to go in the river and not worry about getting sick. When Manoa got 7-11 and the shopping center was built.

Warburton 0263
10-29-13, 02:27
This was back in the early 80's when had Arcade games like Tron, Donkey Kong, Tempest, Centipede, Pac Man, Pole Position, Frogger, Qbert, Asteroids, Defender, Time Pilot, Dragons Lair,. Not many people played Dragons Lair because it cost more than a quarter to play. Remember the game Joust? You're a knight sitting on the big ostrich bird or stork with a joust and you collect the eggs. I use to love playing this game. Also had Sinistar where that big monster looking face comes out. Had Punch-Out the boxing game. Pac Man became huge back then when it came out after Space Invaders. In the late 80's, Street Fighter later came out. There was arcade systems at a number of the dept stores and supermarkets.Back in the day when Grace's next to Kison was called Yokozuna had some space invaders and other games I cannot remember any more. It was a family operation with the owner there most of the time.

Wow 35 years ago, thanks for jogging loose the old memories.

WB.

Jj6969
10-29-13, 03:01
I remember growing up in Manoa. When the was still save to go in the river and not worry about getting sick. When Manoa got 7-11 and the shopping center was built.Before had choke opai and dojo in the streams. Also, we used to catch hundreds and hundreds of oama and halalu. I feel sorry for the kids now days that they can't experience going fishing with hand poles and catching fish.

Jj6969
10-29-13, 03:07
Was that the one on the corner of Kapiolani and Ward? What was the one on the top of Kalakaua where the 7-11 now sits?
I know it was called Kalakaua bowling alley, but not sure if it was where 7-11 sits or the next corner over.

Stangman808
10-29-13, 03:10
50th State Fair was at Magic Island. (When Magic Island had all white coral surface.)

Farm Fair at Mckinley High School.

Home milk delivery. (Milk in glass bottles).

Vegetable / Fish Peddler would come to your neighborhood.

Manapua man with the two cans suspended on a wooden pole. He would yell out "Maaa Naaa Pua".

Peanut vendors outside the old Honolulu Stadium.

Venders walking the grandstands in the old Honolulu Stadium, yelling out "Coke, Hot Dogs, Peanuts, Chips, Coke".

Yick Lung seeds and snacks.

Gas stations had attendants that would pump the gas, check your oil, check your tire pressure and wash your windows. (I worked at a gas station part time while going to school).

Ice cake. (It cost 5 cents).

Square Blue Pan-Am bags that was popular in elementary school for boys.

Stangman808
10-29-13, 03:19
I know it was called Kalakaua bowling alley, but not sure if it was where 7-11 sits or the next corner over.I do believe it was at the corner of Kalakaua and Young Street where the 7-11 is now located. It was a small bowling alley with the double glass door entrance right at the corner.

Uki Eater
10-29-13, 03:32
7-11 been around pretty long. It must have been over 30 years ago when 7-11 first started appearing in HI. Now, 7-11 has so many stores, more than Mcdonalds.

Hypo Luxa
10-29-13, 04:51
Remember the game Joust? You're a knight sitting on the big ostrich bird or stork with a joust and you collect the eggs. I use to love playing this game.Joust was one my main games too in the '80's! That, Galaxian, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr. And PacMan / Ms. PacMan. The other games to a lesser degree that I played were Astroids, Tempest and Pole Position. I actually have the original ROMs to all of these games. They were lifted from the original game consoles and posted online. You can play any of them using MAME software (Multi-Arcade Machine Emulator). The cool thing about it is that you're playing "THE" real game, not a reprogrammed version!

I used to play Pinball a lot too! I think I miss some of those great pinball machines more than anything!

Viet Whisperer
10-29-13, 07:41
Joust was one my main games too in the '80's! That, Galaxian, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr. And PacMan / Ms. PacMan. The other games to a lesser degree that I played were Astroids, Tempest and Pole Position. I actually have the original ROMs to all of these games. They were lifted from the original game consoles and posted online. You can play any of them using MAME software (Multi-Arcade Machine Emulator). The cool thing about it is that you're playing "THE" real game, not a reprogrammed version!

I used to play Pinball a lot too! I think I miss some of those great pinball machines more than anything!All of those were great games and got many of my weekly allowances. The game I was addicted to the most was Stargate which was a second version of Defender. I also liked Robotron.

Mipene77
10-29-13, 14:46
Speaking of back in the day. Remember when there was real music on the radio station and real concerts that you could go to with real live bands that actually played instruments and that did not lip sync? Saw many a fine band at Blaisdell Arena. Let me see, I saw Iron Maiden in 1987, Rush in 1987, Metallica twice back in 1989 (on their "And Justice for All" tour), their last good album. And of course the awesome Judas Priest I saw twice at Blaisdell, can't remember the exact years but they were awesome. I even saw Ozzie Osbourne back when he was a solo artist at the Blaisdell. And there were various other bands I saw also. I was too stoned and drunk to remember them all. It was cool back then because you could literally "light up" right there in Blaisdell during the concerts and security would not do anything about it. All they were looking for was fights. And there were plenty of those. Never went solo to those concerts, always went with a bunch of my Navy buddies just in case trouble broke out. Thankfully nothing happened. Yea and then we would go hangout out at the Jazz Cellar for some more local metal bands and drink shots of Kamikazies all night. Remember those, you would tilt your head back in this special chair they had and the bartendress (always hot) would mix the drink right in your mouth! Fuckin aye old chap. And the chicks were so cool and hot there all dressed up in leather and lace and teased up glam metal hair. Picked up many a fine chick there. It's always great when you bang a chick that likes the same kind of music you do. Yep those were the days, back when men were men and sheep were scared!

Hello Kitty
10-29-13, 14:53
Bubble Gum Cigarettes, mini bubble gum album, and that screen name Chick O Stick. Hehe.

Lowlys One
10-29-13, 18:44
Was that the one on the corner of Kapiolani and Ward? What was the one on the top of Kalakaua where the 7-11 now sits?

Toyo Superette in Manoa. I went to Noelani elementary with their daughter. They lived just down the lane from the store and would walk thru the california grass to go to and from school. Back then the milkman would deliver milk to the houses. Shit that whole area up to Lowery Ave was pasture land with horses and we would go swimming in Manoa stream.

That's what I thought but wasn't sure. You get good memory that was over 30 years ago. Remember the "Hot Legs" contest? The good thing about Rumours was they wanted to be different from the clubs in Waikiki so they only hired hostesses, no bouncers or doormen. The hotel security had to take care of any problems, but always had a lot of HPD officers around every night so things never got out of hand.Hey what's up Usukebe, do you remember the chick Ann that used to work at Toyo's, she was a little hottie.

Honolulu808
10-29-13, 19:22
50th State Fair was at Magic Island. (When Magic Island had all white coral surface.)

Farm Fair at Mckinley High School.

Home milk delivery. (Milk in glass bottles).

Vegetable / Fish Peddler would come to your neighborhood.

Manapua man with the two cans suspended on a wooden pole. He would yell out "Maaa Naaa Pua".

Peanut vendors outside the old Honolulu Stadium.

Venders walking the grandstands in the old Honolulu Stadium, yelling out "Coke, Hot Dogs, Peanuts, Chips, Coke".

Yick Lung seeds and snacks.

Gas stations had attendants that would pump the gas, check your oil, check your tire pressure and wash your windows. (I worked at a gas station part time while going to school).

Ice cake. (It cost 5 cents).

Square Blue Pan-Am bags that was popular in elementary school for boys.The Manapua man came down my street too. I still can see him. Chaki pants, white long sleeve shirt, large brim hat and slippers. My guy had Manapua, half moon and pepeyau.

Not only the milk man came to the house the slop man from the pig farms came over to empty the 5 gallon bucket of leftovers. No garbage disposals in the kitchen sink back then. (Hmmmm now they have sewer problems).

"Lineup. 10 cents" that was me yelling that on King Street at the Termite Palace.

Ice Cream vendor coming down the road with that song (oh it's still stick in my head).

Kalani69
10-29-13, 22:06
The Manapua man came down my street too. I still can see him. Chaki pants, white long sleeve shirt, large brim hat and slippers. My guy had Manapua, half moon and pepeyau.

Not only the milk man came to the house the slop man from the pig farms came over to empty the 5 gallon bucket of leftovers. No garbage disposals in the kitchen sink back then. (Hmmmm now they have sewer problems).

"Lineup. 10 cents" that was me yelling that on King Street at the Termite Palace.

Ice Cream vendor coming down the road with that song (oh it's still stick in my head).Man Hono808, if you was around for the milkman and the slop man, you got to be freakin' old. Maybe older than me. LOL. How about the Pork Pig club at the old Kaimuki Theatre every Saturday morning. Feature was always a cowboy movie like Lash Larue, Roy Rogers, or the Lone Ranger. At intermission, some kid would always have a birthday party and the party would play musical chairs on the stage.

USukebe2
10-29-13, 22:21
10 pages in 6 days? This has to be the hottest topic on this forum. Didn't know had this many sukebe baby boomers on this site. Haha Keep them coming! Sorry got to go play with the grand kids now. LOL.

PupuPop2
10-29-13, 22:40
I had lunch with a buddy at Waialae CC not long ago. Two of his older friends came by to say Hello,. These two guys were local Chinese in their mid eighties. After awhile they got into a heated argument about whether Viagra was better than Cialis or Levitra. Found out those two guys still paying for pussy here in town. Hope I get that far in life with some spunk leftover. What was "Spanish Fly" anyway?? I heard about it but never saw any of it anywhere.

Bikini
10-29-13, 23:46
Is a drug made from the ground up parts of the blister beetle. Very irritable. You rub it on a bull's dick to make him get hard. Not for human use, however, when I was a kid the guys were always talking about trying to get some.

Oldee
10-30-13, 00:21
I think a lot of us are around same age. Some of us may have been in intermediate school before statehood, LOL. Black and white TV if at all, make your own toys like sling shot, parachutes, stakeboard from cutting rollar skate, etc. Beatles, Elvis, Battle of the Bands, Beach Boys, Smoky Robinson, Chicago, 3 dog night, etc etc in concert and seen them all. Different time and mindset. I also enjoy reading you younger guys back in the day as we were there too, LOL. No generation is better than the other but I do feel the digital information age has limited this generation in some ways. Connection with nature for starters and imagination on how to have fun without gadgets like computers, cell phones, cable, etc. Still, us old futs learn a lot from you younger guys too. However, many of us old futs really feel we young guys trapped in old bodies. Thats why we like play with the young hotties. No laugh too hard at us because you going get here too, LOL.

Hairyolos
10-30-13, 00:25
Before had choke opai and dojo in the streams. Also, we used to catch hundreds and hundreds of oama and halalu. I feel sorry for the kids now days that they can't experience going fishing with hand poles and catching fish.Yea remember those days. Also had crawfish all hiding in the bushes. After big rain, would go days later and find koi droning around.

Honolulu808
10-30-13, 00:27
Sunday Manoa, Kalapana, Olomana, Gabby, see&K, Keola & Kapono Beamer.

AWB, Earth Wind and Fire, Chicago, Rolling Stones.

Hairyolos
10-30-13, 00:34
Going Queens theater in Kaimuki and downtown can't remember the names. The on on King st and the other one down by Chinese Culture Center. Watchingkung fu movies.

Member 69
10-30-13, 03:33
Does any one remember the Kapiolani bowl and drinking in Ross's spare room? Hey 69 was the bowling alley on Maui called Maui bowling center? I remember watching my cousins bowl in the league and the lanes kept breaking down and they would finish like at midnight. LOL?Yup, was Maui bowling center. We used to hang out in the back, when cute girls would bowl we would throw pins so the girls would bowl better. The alley those days was so junka lunka, no sense buy a new ball because it would get all bus up from the lanes.

That's right, I remember Kapiolani bowl, right across Flamingo restaurant on Kapiolani.

I remember in the 60's there was bowling city right near the Alapai transit station.

Jj6969
10-30-13, 04:21

AWB, Earth Wind and Fire, Chicago, Rolling Stones.Yeah, used to go to Jubilee night club in Kalihi to listen to Hawaiian music, also Oasis night club, and Hank's place in Kaimuki to watch Israel, Skippy, and the Makaha sons. BTW, Hank's place had some great Hawaiian food and the Lau lau would just melt in your mouth. LOL!

Chik0848
10-30-13, 05:54
I know it was called Kalakaua bowling alley, but not sure if it was where 7-11 sits or the next corner over.The bowling alley used to be where the 7-11 is today. We used to swing by after finishing part time job to see if some of the guys were bowling. If they weren't there, we went to Zebra Lounge across the street or the KB on the mauka end (from Arirang) of the Professional Center.

Oldee
10-30-13, 17:42
Going Queens theater in Kaimuki and downtown can't remember the names. The on on King st and the other one down by Chinese Culture Center. Watchingkung fu movies.That would be Liberty and Empress. As a kid, the scariest movie I ever seen was Obakeneko at Liberty. Man, all the kids were screeming in fear, LOL. Based on a true story BTW. Downtown had Hawaii and Princess nearby that I can remember. Outskirts had Toyo and another J theatre as well as Zamboanga altho never went there.

Ok, who here had car sex or at least made out at Kam DI, Sunset, Kailua, or Waialae? Answer should be everybody whoever went Drive in movie with a chick. Anybody seen the ghost lady at Waialae DI? She indirectly helped me get closer to my objectives with scared chicks, lol.

Honolulu808
10-30-13, 20:13

AWB, Earth Wind and Fire, Chicago, Rolling Stones.Men without hats, Men at Work, Duran Duran, a flock of seagulls, little river band, Cindy Lauper.

Mipene77
10-30-13, 21:16
Men without hats, Men at Work, Duran Duran, a flock of seagulls, little river band, Cindy Lauper.I saw the Flock of Seagulls and the B52's in concert back in 1982 at the Summit in Houston, Texas. Yea the Flock were are band that was truly underrated. Man that was a fun concert. I picked up this chick at Galveston beach earlier that day by accidentally hitting her in the head with my Frisbie (remember those). What a great pickup line huh? We drank some beers (yes you could drink on the beach), got to know each other and I asked her to the concert and she said yes. Double dated with my brother and the girls friend. We took the girls back to my apartment after the concert for some possible sex and wouldn't you know it the girl was from Misssouri (the show me state) and she was a bonafide virgin! Yep, poor little girl bled all over my sheets that night. My brother was in the living room and he struck out with the other girl. Kind of felt bad for him but that is the way the cookie crumbles. Sorry bro.

The 1980's had the most awesome new wave music yea? There was The Cure, Depeche Mode, OMD, Flock of Seagulls, B52's, DEVO, The Smiths, Tears for Fears etc. I personally think the 1980's were the last great decade of actual talented music. After MTV rolled in and killed off the incentive for bands to actually produce "music" the music industry went to shit after that. Of course the final death nail was hip / hop and rap which totally destroyed the music industry. There is still a lot of great music out there it is just much harder to find. The great thing about nowadays is that there are a lot of underground Internet radio stations that play some really good music. Mainstream radio flat out just blows nowadays. Hawaii has no good stations what so ever except for maybe KTUH. Sometimes they play alternative non-mainstream stuff that is pretty good with no commercials. But once again JMHO.

Oldee
10-30-13, 23:17
Men without hats, Men at Work, Duran Duran, a flock of seagulls, little river band, Cindy Lauper.My favorite was ANY song by ANY group that was slow and could ask a girl to slow dance. Usually someone you never met and the dance was an opportunity so could FEEL her out? What? Not you too? LIAR! LOL. Had many a hard on slow dancing. Not you? LIAR! LOL. Ladies choice even better, haha. My days music I liked Led Zeppelin, Iron Butterfly, Doors, Eric Clapton; Santana, CreedenceCR, Doobie Bros, Paul Revere, Temptations, Monkees, America; Black Sabbath, and so many others too numerous to name all.

Stangman808
10-30-13, 23:48
Sears, Liberty House, JC Penneys, Woolworths, McInerny, Kramers, Sato Clothiers, Ritz, Pete's Modelcraft, Wong's Okazuya, Keiki Land, Farrells Ice Cream, Slipper House, Hoteya, Iida's, Continental Restaurant, Hackfields, Hopaco, Sharper Image, Joe Pacific Shoe Repair, Hartfields, Honolulu Book Store, Francis Camera Shop, Ethels Dress Shop, Villa Roma, Crack Seed Center, Coral Reef Restaurant, Patti's Chinese Kitchen, Otahiete, Ed & Dons Ice Cream, Lynn's Deli, India Imports, Down Under Bar, Eki Cyclery, Watamuls, Tobaccos of Hawaii, House of Music, Dunkin Doughnuts, Honsport, Petland, Party Center, Seiko Watch Store, Tom Mcann Shoes, Pocket Book Man, Carol and Marys, San Francisco Rag Shop, Leeds Shoes, Ross Sutherland. What else?

Bikini
10-31-13, 00:14
I could outside this place and girl watch all day.

NightWing24
10-31-13, 00:23
Sears, Liberty House, JC Penneys, Woolworths, McInerny, Kramers, Sato Clothiers, Ritz, Pete's Modelcraft, Wong's Okazuya, Keiki Land, Farrells Ice Cream, Slipper House, Hoteya, Iida's, Continental Restaurant, Hackfields, Hopaco, Sharper Image, Joe Pacific Shoe Repair, Hartfields, Honolulu Book Store, Francis Camera Shop, Ethels Dress Shop, Villa Roma, Crack Seed Center, Coral Reef Restaurant, Patti's Chinese Kitchen, Otahiete, Ed & Dons Ice Cream, Lynn's Deli, India Imports, Down Under Bar, Eki Cyclery, Watamuls, Tobaccos of Hawaii, House of Music, Dunkin Doughnuts, Honsport, Petland, Party Center, Seiko Watch Store, Tom Mcann Shoes, Pocket Book Man, Carol and Marys, San Francisco Rag Shop, Leeds Shoes, Ross Sutherland. What else?Tinker Toys. Seems most stores just come & go, always construction going on = job security, LOL!

Honolulu808
10-31-13, 00:27
Royal Sunset Drive In, Kam Drive In, Kailua Drive In, Waialae Drive In, Kapiolani Drive In, Palama Theater, Toho Theater, Toyo Theater, Liberty Theater, Cinerama Theatre, Varsity Theater, Queen Theatre (I remember sneaking in to watch Deep Throat), King Theater, Kaimuki Theater, Kapiolani Theater. Please add on.

Most of all bowling alleys too are long gone.

Hairyolos
10-31-13, 01:05
That would be Liberty and Empress. As a kid, the scariest movie I ever seen was Obakeneko at Liberty. Man, all the kids were screeming in fear, LOL. Based on a true story BTW. Downtown had Hawaii and Princess nearby that I can remember. Outskirts had Toyo and another J theatre as well as Zamboanga altho never went there.

Ok, who here had car sex or at least made out at Kam DI, Sunset, Kailua, or Waialae? Answer should be everybody whoever went Drive in movie with a chick. Anybody seen the ghost lady at Waialae DI? She indirectly helped me get closer to my objectives with scared chicks, lol.Never had chance at DI movies, but did it up Tantales look out. Who else had fun up there?

Jzjz
10-31-13, 01:17
Royal Sunset Drive In, Kam Drive In, Kailua Drive In, Waialae Drive In, Kapiolani Drive In, Palama Theater, Toho Theater, Toyo Theater, Liberty Theater, Cinerama Theatre, Varsity Theater, Queen Theatre (I remember sneaking in to watch Deep Throat), King Theater, Kaimuki Theater, Kapiolani Theater. Please add on.

Most of all bowling alleys too are long gone.No forget windward side $0.99 theaters Kaneohe, Aikahi, & Holiday Mart.

Jzjz
10-31-13, 01:23
Sears, Liberty House, JC Penneys, Woolworths, McInerny, Kramers, Sato Clothiers, Ritz, Pete's Modelcraft, Wong's Okazuya, Keiki Land, Farrells Ice Cream, Slipper House, Hoteya, Iida's, Continental Restaurant, Hackfields, Hopaco, Sharper Image, Joe Pacific Shoe Repair, Hartfields, Honolulu Book Store, Francis Camera Shop, Ethels Dress Shop, Villa Roma, Crack Seed Center, Coral Reef Restaurant, Patti's Chinese Kitchen, Otahiete, Ed & Dons Ice Cream, Lynn's Deli, India Imports, Down Under Bar, Eki Cyclery, Watamuls, Tobaccos of Hawaii, House of Music, Dunkin Doughnuts, Honsport, Petland, Party Center, Seiko Watch Store, Tom Mcann Shoes, Pocket Book Man, Carol and Marys, San Francisco Rag Shop, Leeds Shoes, Ross Sutherland. What else?Is petland still there? Joke Shop for fake doodoo, morning breeze, see thru glasses. Jon's the small burger fries shop. And don't forget the sand box!

Jzjz
10-31-13, 01:25
My favorite was ANY song by ANY group that was slow and could ask a girl to slow dance. Usually someone you never met and the dance was an opportunity so could FEEL her out? What? Not you too? LIAR! LOL. Had many a hard on slow dancing. Not you? LIAR! LOL. Ladies choice even better, haha. My days music I liked Led Zeppelin, Iron Butterfly, Doors, Eric Clapton; Santana, CreedenceCR, Doobie Bros, Paul Revere, Temptations, Monkees, America; Black Sabbath, and so many others too numerous to name all.Wow, remember school dances? Sometimes going to other school dance was a big deal. Maryknoll had best ones. What else ones were good.

Jzjz
10-31-13, 01:35
Ok, who here had car sex or at least made out at Kam DI, Sunset, Kailua, or Waialae? Answer should be everybody whoever went Drive in movie with a chick. Anybody seen the ghost lady at Waialae DI? She indirectly helped me get closer to my objectives with scared chicks, lol.Snuck Gf in trunk of car to get free admission to drive in, then boned her during main feature.

Took same gf up Pali lookout at night to bone. Was jamming then wind picked up, super dark, & eerie and got spooked like madam pele was watching. Gf had small kine fat ass so pele maybe thought was pork. Bailed and dug out without nutting.

Chik0848
10-31-13, 02:03

Most of all bowling alleys too are long gone.Does anyone remember ther Princess Theater? It was where Kukui Plaza is on Fort Street? Most of the theaters used to show double features that cost $1.00. 1.50. Can you buy anything in a theater today for a dollar? Oh, what about the Roosevelt Theater on Maunakea Street showing adult movies, and I'm not sure, but just up the block, there was some place called Beretania Follies showing adult black and white movies (not sure about live shows). I remember Jack Cione's place (Forbidden City) where Century Center is that had strippers. Do you remember Lippy Espinda's commercials? He had a used car lot on Kapiolani and Kalakaua diagnally across the Convention Center. Wow, really feeling old now.

Sorry oldee, didn't see your Princess Theater post #153

Stangman808
10-31-13, 02:29
Is petland still there? Joke Shop for fake doodoo, morning breeze, see thru glasses. Jon's the small burger fries shop. And don't forget the sand box!Petland moved to a strip mall out in Kahala.

H Mobius
10-31-13, 03:39

Most of all bowling alleys too are long gone.You guys have good memories especially you Stangman. Now that you mention all those stores do I remember them. The only other one is Gallenkamp Shoes, because I met a young gorgeous girl at a bus stop late at night and she was pretty uncomfortable waiting alone. Told me she worked there while being pre-med so I used to visit once in a while. Happy times. Then she was gone.

I remember most of those theaters now that you mention them. I was kind of young when I saw the news story on TV when the Queen Theater got shut down. The image that is burned into my monger mind is that reciprocating saw they used to cut-up all the porn movies, right through the reels and all. I felt like John Belushi's character (Bluto) in Animal House when someone dropped the liquor bottle when their bar got confiscated, and Bluto screamed in horror :)

Seeing Chik's post makes me sad that apparently Honolulu has been cleaned-up 'too much'. Sounds like it was a Wonderland back then.

Honolulu808
10-31-13, 03:49
You forgot the original home video game. Pong. BTW, I used to play in foosball and pool tournaments. Anyone care to play me for beer? LOL.If you still walk around with quarters in your ear you was a hustler back then. Don't know if I'd play you for beers but how about closes to the wall or quarter hop into a beer glass, paper field goals.

Stangman808
10-31-13, 05:19
For the younger mongers here are some photos of the old Honolulu Stadium. Watched many football games here, as well as Hawaii Islanders baseball. While it was before my time, my dad said there was also dirt track stock car racing at the stadium.

http://www.elvisinhawaii.com/50s_shows/honolulu_stadium.jpg The upper left hand corner of this photo is the intersection of South King St. And Isenberg St.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/dailypix/2006/Jul/02/sesq6honolulustadium_b.jpg The grandstand on the right has South King St. Running behind it.

http://www.imakenews.com/pfluegerhonda/old_honolulu_stadium.JPG This view is looking towards EWA (West).

Honolulu808
10-31-13, 05:56
For the younger mongers here are some photos of the old Honolulu Stadium. Watched many football games here, as well as Hawaii Islanders baseball. While it was before my time, my dad said there was also dirt track stock car racing at the stadium.

http://www.elvisinhawaii.com/50s_shows/honolulu_stadium.jpg The upper left hand corner of this photo is the intersection of South King St. And Isenberg St.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/dailypix/2006/Jul/02/sesq6honolulustadium_b.jpg The grandstand on the right has South King St. Running behind it.

http://www.imakenews.com/pfluegerhonda/old_honolulu_stadium.JPG This view is looking towards EWA (West).Thanks for the reminder of the stock car races. My dad had a good friend that raced (Modern Muffler) and my dad helped him and I got to tag along. It was awesome to be on the field looking the stands.

Jj6969
10-31-13, 06:51
Thanks for the reminder of the stock car races. My dad had a good friend that raced (Modern Muffler) and my dad helped him and I got to tag along. It was awesome to be on the field looking the stands.There was not only stock car races but also demolition derby. Used to sell line ups for the Islander games too, Chuck Tanner was the manager back then. BTW, don't forget about the short lived The Hawaiian's football team of the World Football League.

Papio
10-31-13, 14:01
35 cents for pack cigarettes from vending machine.

Alohaoe
10-31-13, 20:10
Tanoue's Samin across Kaimuki park was my favorite, always stop there after a movie.

Alohaoe

Oldee
10-31-13, 23:00
35 cents for pack cigarettes from vending machine.Large Soda 15 cents, loaf bread 10 cents, plate lunch 69 cents at Rainbows, hamburger sandwitch 5 for dollar at many drive inns. Lady's drink 2 bucks but some places dollar. Over 100 KBs koreamoku area. Name any VB, SB, or Kiddie bar and it once was a KB except in Waikiki. Many things today has increased in price way more than it should have with normal inflation such as neko and cigarettes.

Oldee
10-31-13, 23:11
Never had chance at DI movies, but did it up Tantales look out. Who else had fun up there?That was a standard make out place along with Pali, magic island, Diamond head lookout, kahala beach, waikiki beach etc. I had a secret place in Palolo waaaay inside.

Dances at school gyms and various YMCAs were the bomb. Guys on one side, girls on the other, LOL. I remember had to wear socks sometimes. ALWAYS live rock band or bands.

I was good at closest to da wall and paper football too. Like challenge? lol. Its all about the touch, serves you well in mongering too, lol.

Anybody played nickle pinball with all the holes at pool halls? That was original play for money game here I think.

Jzjz
10-31-13, 23:43
Large Soda 15 cents, loaf bread 10 cents, plate lunch 69 cents at Rainbows, hamburger sandwitch 5 for dollar at many drive inns. Lady's drink 2 bucks but some places dollar. Over 100 KBs koreamoku area. Name any VB, SB, or Kiddie bar and it once was a KB except in Waikiki. Many things today has increased in price way more than it should have with normal inflation such as neko and cigarettes.Big Mac $0.85. School lunch $0.25. DaBus $0.10.

Oldee
11-01-13, 01:11
Big Mac $0.85. School lunch $0.25. DaBus $0.10.I believe Big Macs originally was 49 cents. The first McDonalds was Ainahaina and Palolo was second. I remember could buy ice cream for 6 cents in school.

Honolulu808
11-01-13, 01:42
Big Mac $0.85. School lunch $0.25. DaBus $0.10.I think I may be posting the first negative post. When the bus was $0.10 it was called HRT.

BTW Neal Blaisdell Center, NBC was HIC.

Hairyolos
11-01-13, 01:46
Used to play nickels at Hawaiian Brians. Remember turbos at Kam bowl.

Hairyolos
11-01-13, 01:52
Talking about HIC. Going there to watch wrestling there. Never had chance to watch at Civic Center.

Stangman808
11-01-13, 02:17
I think I may be posting the first negative post. When the bus was $0.10 it was called HRT.

BTW Neal Blaisdell Center, NBC was HIC.Your correct, the Honolulu bus system back then was called HRT which stood for "Honolulu Rapid Transit". When HRT bus drivers went on strike, Mayor Frank Fasi bought some used buses from the mainland (Dallas Texas I think), and that was the start of Oahu's current bus system.

The Blaisdell Center was originally called the "Honolulu International Center" or HIC for short. It was later renamed the Neal Blaisdell Center in honor of former Honolulu Mayor Neal Blaisdell.

AlwaysFishing
11-01-13, 02:23
Used to treat my girlfriend there for lunch. Any supreme sandwich, fries and large soda for under $5. For both of us.

Those were the days.

USukebe2
11-01-13, 05:07
The Blaisdell Center was originally called the "Honolulu International Center" or HIC for short. It was later renamed the Neal Blaisdell Center in honor of former Honolulu Mayor Neal Blaisdell.There was also the old Civic Auditorium on S King where many a concert, roller derby matches and 50th State Wrestling took place.

Oldee
11-01-13, 15:29
Tanoue's Samin across Kaimuki park was my favorite, always stop there after a movie.

AlohaoeYeah, I liked thier saimin too and also Boulevard saimin in kalihi. Of course by the time I went, I think was 25 cents since I young boy! LOL. Joke!

Honolulu808
11-01-13, 17:33
Yeah, I liked thier saimin too and also Boulevard saimin in kalihi. Of course by the time I went, I think was 25 cents since I young boy! LOL. Joke!Don't forget Palace Saimin on King St in Kalihi. Still there along with Boulevard Saimin.

Rico80
11-01-13, 18:57
The Wisteria Restaurant.

Ideta Restaurant.

Suehiros.

Compadres.

McCully Chop Suey.

Woo Fats.

Tasty Broiler.

Hungry Lion Restaurant.

Hall Saimin.

Washington Saimin Stand.

Chun Hoon Market.

Kings Bakery and Coffee Shop (As a side note the MS who ran Spot Fantasy AMP upstairs later opened a restaurant called Kings Cave in the Kings Bakery location after the AMP closed).What about the bakery across Farrington high school. I think was called Liberty bakery with the fresh baked loaves of bread. LOL. Used to buy that for my dad many times. Good old times.

Lowlys One
11-01-13, 20:38
Alright since I know a bunch of you have been walking the face of this planet for some time now, I remember the lot where Palolo Mcdonald's is currently resided, there used to be a sundry / fountain (an old style place where they'd serve malt shake, rootbeer floats, ice cream and other non alcohol drinks with a bar like counter inside of a sundry), for the life of me I can't recall the name of this place, been trying to for at least the past ten years and well all I can say is I smoked a lot of things in my youth and I guess this is the price I pay, can anyone remember?

Pursuer
11-01-13, 21:51

Alohaoe15 cents for saimin? Must have been at the original shack with the dirt floors. Still the best saimin in memory. Palace and Old Saimin House close, but not the same.

Oldee
11-01-13, 22:46
Alright since I know a bunch of you have been walking the face of this planet for some time now, I remember the lot where Palolo Mcdonald's is currently resided, there used to be a sundry / fountain (an old style place where they'd serve malt shake, rootbeer floats, ice cream and other non alcohol drinks with a bar like counter inside of a sundry), for the life of me I can't recall the name of this place, been trying to for at least the past ten years and well all I can say is I smoked a lot of things in my youth and I guess this is the price I pay, can anyone remember?Capitol Drive Inn. Now buy me one beer, LOL. Aotani's around where Queen theatre is was another place for soda treats.

Jj6969
11-01-13, 22:58
Capitol Drive Inn. Now buy me one beer, LOL. Aotani's around where Queen theatre is was another place for soda treats.www.tastyislandhawaii.com/2013/03/23/oahu-eateries-memorialized/

Lowlys One
11-01-13, 23:22
Capitol Drive Inn. Now buy me one beer, LOL. Aotani's around where Queen theatre is was another place for soda treats.OMG, Oldee you must be fricken old and never smoke dope when you was young for remember that one. Shit, that brings back so much memories, wow! Come to think of it that sundry was right across Aliiolani elementary, right after school we was there, by the way I wasn't involved in any theft that happened there.

Oldee
11-01-13, 23:44
OMG, Oldee you must be fricken old and never smoke dope when you was young for remember that one. Shit, that brings back so much memories, wow! Come to think of it that sundry was right across Aliiolani elementary, right after school we was there, by the way I wasn't involved in any theft that happened there.Except for smoking dope(elephant)and doing odda stuff, you was good boy like me, LOL. I bet you used to hang around Riverside Pool hall and shoot pool with Bing ah? LOL.

Rico80
11-01-13, 23:52
Remember tin tin chop suey and the dance hall upstairs.

What about kawano's in Waipahu with the soda fountain with cherry coke and lemon coke?

CheapCharlie
11-02-13, 02:50
Speaking of back in the day. Remember when there was real music on the radio station and real concerts that you could go to with real live bands that actually played instruments and that did not lip sync? Saw many a fine band at Blaisdell Arena. Let me see, I saw Iron Maiden in 1987, Rush in 1987, Metallica twice back in 1989 (on their "And Justice for All" tour), their last good album. And of course the awesome Judas Priest I saw twice at Blaisdell, can't remember the exact years but they were awesome. I even saw Ozzie Osbourne back when he was a solo artist at the Blaisdell. And there were various other bands I saw also. I was too stoned and drunk to remember them all. It was cool back then because you could literally "light up" right there in Blaisdell during the concerts and security would not do anything about it. All they were looking for was fights. And there were plenty of those. Never went solo to those concerts, always went with a bunch of my Navy buddies just in case trouble broke out. Thankfully nothing happened. Yea and then we would go hangout out at the Jazz Cellar for some more local metal bands and drink shots of Kamikazies all night. Remember those, you would tilt your head back in this special chair they had and the bartendress (always hot) would mix the drink right in your mouth! Fuckin aye old chap. And the chicks were so cool and hot there all dressed up in leather and lace and teased up glam metal hair. Picked up many a fine chick there. It's always great when you bang a chick that likes the same kind of music you do. Yep those were the days, back when men were men and sheep were scared!Did you ever go to Caverns? You and me kinda alike as far as music. Went Metallica too when they came in 88,93 (went the 2 nights) and the last time they was here in 99. Concerts regret not going to, Alcatrazz (with Yngwie),Slayer, Deep Purple (85) Nirvana, Alice in Chains and Pantera. Would have been nice if the time Ozzy came in 82 or 83,Randy Rhoads was still alive. RIP Randy you was and still are the best!

Honolulu808
11-02-13, 03:07
Did you ever go to Caverns? You and me kinda alike as far as music. Went Metallica too when they came in 88,93 (went the 2 nights) and the last time they was here in 99. Concerts regret not going to, Alcatrazz (with Yngwie),Slayer, Deep Purple (85) Nirvana, Alice in Chains and Pantera. Would have been nice if the time Ozzy came in 82 or 83,Randy Rhoads was still alive. RIP Randy you was and still are the best!Remember Gussie Lamores by the airport? Bands CheapCharlire mentioned played there for after parties. Best concert I've been to was Jimmy Hendrix at Civic Auditorium in the early 70's.

Uki Eater
11-02-13, 03:27
This is going way back but, would anyone know what was the first hostess bar to appear in Hawaii, first strip bar and first massage parlor? I think people mentioned that spotlite was the first massage parlor. What year was this?

C Man
11-02-13, 03:56
I remember first going to Heide's Massage back in 80' and seeing Linda and the other Caucasian girl who had a toned body. HE with HJ and FS was the bomb!

C Man

Widget
11-02-13, 04:53
I remember Shiro's when they were in the Aiea bowling alley. Beeg Shiro sandwiches were like $0.75. Value Drug in the shopping center and Speedy's supermarket down the road.

Stangman808
11-02-13, 05:13
I remember Shiro's when they were in the Aiea bowling alley. Beeg Shiro sandwiches were like $0.75. Value Drug in the shopping center and Speedy's supermarket down the road.There was also a Shiro's on Dillingham Boulevard. This was when Shiro's was trying to franchise their restaurants. The Dillingham location was run by local entertainers Teddy and Nancy Tanaka. (I think Teddy's real last name was Chinen).

Chik0848
11-02-13, 07:23
I remember first going to Heide's Massage back in 80' and seeing Linda and the other Caucasian girl who had a toned body. HE with HJ and FS was the bomb!

C ManI remember going to York Massage in the old York building on Punchbowl. It was next to the municipal parking lot below Central Middle School. I met Rose there, nice red head. Massage was $10. For 1 hour and $10 for full service. It had to be late 60's after breaking up with GF. If I was short on cash, she'd let me do IOU and sometimes freebie after massage. There was another massage place in the building next door. I can't remember the name.

Stangman808
11-02-13, 14:53
I remember going to York Massage in the old York building on Punchbowl. It was next to the municipal parking lot below Central Middle School. I met Rose there, nice red head. Massage was $10. For 1 hour and $10 for full service. It had to be late 60's after breaking up with GF. If I was short on cash, she'd let me do IOU and sometimes freebie after massage. There was another massage place in the building next door. I can't remember the name.Just want to clarify, the streets around Central Middle School are Queen Emma, Kukui, Pali Hwy and Vineyard Blvd. Punchbowl Street is a block over. I think the other place you are refering to was in the Queen Emma Building and it was called "Central Health". The place looked like a doctors office. They had a waiting room with chairs and a glass window at the receptionist desk.

Pursuer
11-02-13, 17:29
This is going way back but, would anyone know what was the first hostess bar to appear in Hawaii, first strip bar and first massage parlor? I think people mentioned that spotlite was the first massage parlor. What year was this?I think the first strip club was Club Hubba Hubba, probably in the 1950's. Burlesque and topless. Not sure what club was the first to feature totally nude dancers, maybe the one opened by Jack Cione in the airport area in the early 70's?

Chik0848
11-02-13, 18:02
Just want to clarify, the streets around Central Middle School are Queen Emma, Kukui, Pali Hwy and Vineyard Blvd. Punchbowl Street is a block over. I think the other place you are refering to was in the Queen Emma Building and it was called "Central Health". The place looked like a doctors office. They had a waiting room with chairs and a glass window at the receptionist desk.My bad. I guess I got excited thinking about the great times I had with Rose, I forgot the surrounding streets. Since I'm not a townie anymore, I find myself having to use a GPS to find certain streets. It coukd be old age too.

Lowlys One
11-02-13, 18:08
This is going way back but, would anyone know what was the first hostess bar to appear in Hawaii, first strip bar and first massage parlor? I think people mentioned that spotlite was the first massage parlor. What year was this?Yep, well that's the first AMP that I was aware of, and went to. I think before it became Spot Relaxation it went by a korean name, can't recall the name but it was locatedon the second floor above that japanese restuarant which is next to Gulick Delicatessan. I was so green that I didn't know the tipping system all the ms told me was 50 upfront, so I thought that was it, got a BJ the first time then later that night got a BJ / HJ for 50, then was explained to me that I needed to tip the girls, thought she was kidding, but the third visit I paid 100 for BJ / HJ, I wasn't happy.

Oldee
11-02-13, 20:53
This is going way back but, would anyone know what was the first hostess bar to appear in Hawaii, first strip bar and first massage parlor? I think people mentioned that spotlite was the first massage parlor. What year was this?Interesting question Uki bro. However, Hawaii had hostess bars, strip bars and massage parlors before WW2. Of course I don't know which particular establishnents of each venue was first or exact dates but its well documented hawaii had such places long ago. Of course nothing like today's SBs, hostess bars or AMPs but they were there in earlier forms. We even had LEGAL brothels during WW2 to cater to servicemen. BTW, I was not born yet that time, LOL.

I do know however that the local teahouses along with japanese bars were probably the forerunner and precurser which evolved to current hostess bars today. As a high school kid was taken to and went Harbor Lights which was a bar where girls wore kimonos and had play (not me) and was eating as much as drinking type places. The girls made money from tip left on table at the end. Neko was not a factor at all. BTW, club 904 near CS was a teahouse long ago. Don't think KBs took root or even existed unti the 60's but I could be off a few years.

As far as AMPs, I was never an AMP goer here so others would know more than me about the history.I did however go to an AMP mid 70s somewhere in Kakaako and thought expensive and not as good as Japan since got introduced to todoko(soaplands) right before that. Was spoiled ever since(had many many sessions over the decades)but was always into the chase game anyway. I think AMPs are great, especially here but I stupid and like chase girls that no fuck everyday for a living. Im a minority here on the forum but most guys go hostess bars same reasons as me, hehe.

Cheapo
11-02-13, 21:16

What about kawano's in Waipahu with the soda fountain with cherry coke and lemon coke?Remember Tin Tin having really ono won ton min with fine noodles. Also that dance hall upstairs.

Also used to go to Kawano Store in Waipahu for my comics. & their small but very cool soda fountain. Ahh the memories!!

Uki Eater
11-02-13, 21:55
We even had LEGAL brothels during WW2 to cater to servicemen. That was crazy when I read about that in Japan after WW2 where japanese women serviced men and averaged between 15-60 guys a day. This was back in the mid 1940's.

Oioman
11-02-13, 21:57
Remember the restaurant next to McWayne marine supplies in Kewalo. You could get a full mea with everything for less than 15.00 then. Also had cheap king crab legs on the menu. The other place I liked was on Nimits across the harbor. Used to go there and eat fried Akule. Anyone remember the name? Dinner included salad, drink and dessert.

OM.

Oioman
11-02-13, 21:59
Remember Tin Tin having really ono won ton min with fine noodles. Also that dance hall upstairs.

A. Ahh the memories!!I thought I was old, Man, I used to eat at Tin Tin with my folks when I was small! Loved the atmosphere, the smell the mix of people.

Honolulu808
11-02-13, 22:10
Interesting question Uki bro. However, Hawaii had hostess bars, strip bars and massage parlors before WW2. Of course I don't know which particular establishnents of each venue was first or exact dates but its well documented hawaii had such places long ago. Of course nothing like today's SBs, hostess bars or AMPs but they were there in earlier forms. We even had LEGAL brothels during WW2 to cater to servicemen. BTW, I was not born yet that time, LOL.

I do know however that the local teahouses along with japanese bars were probably the forerunner and precurser which evolved to current hostess bars today. As a high school kid was taken to and went Harbor Lights which was a bar where girls wore kimonos and had play (not me) and was eating as much as drinking type places. The girls made money from tip left on table at the end. Neko was not a factor at all. BTW, club 904 near CS was a teahouse long ago. Don't think KBs took root or even existed unti the 60's but I could be off a few years.

As far as AMPs, I was never an AMP goer here so others would know more than me about the history.I did however go to an AMP mid 70s somewhere in Kakaako and thought expensive and not as good as Japan since got introduced to todoko(soaplands) right before that. Was spoiled ever since(had many many sessions over the decades)but was always into the chase game anyway. I think AMPs are great, especially here but I stupid and like chase girls that no fuck everyday for a living. Im a minority here on the forum but most guys go hostess bars same reasons as me, hehe.Don't know about the first but who remembers Club Habahaba, Glades down the road and the Filipino Pool Halls and Wo Fat Chop Suey on Hotel St.

Stangman808
11-02-13, 22:16

What about kawano's in Waipahu with the soda fountain with cherry coke and lemon coke?Some of the younger members might not know about the dance hall. Back in the day they had "Taxi Dancers", you would buy tickets and dance with the girls. The girls would redeem the tickets after their shifts for money.

Stangman808
11-02-13, 22:19
Remember the restaurant next to McWayne marine supplies in Kewalo. You could get a full mea with everything for less than 15.00 then. Also had cheap king crab legs on the menu. The other place I liked was on Nimits across the harbor. Used to go there and eat fried Akule. Anyone remember the name? Dinner included salad, drink and dessert.

OM.Could this place on Nimtz across Honolulu Harbor have been "Tasty Broiler"?

Lowlys One
11-02-13, 22:27
The old Surfline / Aipa surfboards or Dick Brewers, how about Lightning Bolt, Nalu surfboards, speaking of surfboards anyone remember "Buttons" Kaluhiokalani, sorry to say one of my alltime favorites has passed away today of cancer, if any of you surf, can you memorialize him the next time you surf by doing one of his patented 360's for old times sake, see you again Button's, you were loved by all.

Honolulu808
11-02-13, 23:32
At the soccer field in Kapiolani park and just heard Kalapana playing at the Shell.

Bikini
11-03-13, 00:09
Don't know about the first but who remembers Club Habahaba, Glades down the road and the Filipino Pool Halls and Wo Fat Chop Suey on Hotel St.I remember them all. BTW, the movie 'From Here to Eternity' shows Frank Sinatra cruising Hotel St. A good shot of what the place was like then. In the book of the same name they also mention the sign everyone could see coming in from the airport: Jesus Coming Soon.

Hypo Luxa
11-03-13, 00:16
Great concert reminiscing... Although my preferences leaned towards the rock concerts all of you mentioned, the one that sticks out in my mind most was Prince in 1992 at the Blaisdell... I've never seen a greater display of pussy in one place in my life. Of all the concerts I've been too, none have ever had the caliber of girls slutted up like they were for Prince. They were all trying to out-Vanity or out-Apollonia each other with their lingerie! I had my binoculars and was about 15 rows up in the lower stands... Perfect viewing! If only camera phones existed back then!

Bikini
11-03-13, 00:17
I lived in Aiea when they shot this movie. The air was full of Zeroes with a giant meatball on the side. I even saw Billy Mitchell coming in a B26.

TongueLover696
11-03-13, 01:34
Don't know about the first but who remembers Club Habahaba, Glades down the road and the Filipino Pool Halls and Wo Fat Chop Suey on Hotel St.They used to pay taxi drivers $10/ head to drive in business. Sometimes I made more each night taking Japanese tourists their way than all my othe fares.

Oldee
11-03-13, 01:41
Great concert reminiscing... Although my preferences leaned towards the rock concerts all of you mentioned, the one that sticks out in my mind most was Prince in 1992 at the Blaisdell... I've never seen a greater display of pussy in one place in my life. Of all the concerts I've been too, none have ever had the caliber of girls slutted up like they were for Prince. They were all trying to out-Vanity or out-Apollonia each other with their lingerie! I had my binoculars and was about 15 rows up in the lower stands... Perfect viewing! If only camera phones existed back then!I didn't see Prince at Blaisdell to compare but seen Elvis shows in Waikiki and that famous concert broadcast worldwide at Blaisdell by the King. Man, THAT was choke chicks going nuts and throwing panties on the stage etc. The Beatles had choke chick fans too.

TongueLover696
11-03-13, 01:46
I lived in Aiea when they shot this movie. The air was full of Zeroes with a giant meatball on the side. I even saw Billy Mitchell coming in a B26.Billy Mitchell was long gone before the movie. He died in '36.

I knew most of the Air Corps general staff in the Pacific theater as family friends as a small kid. Served cocktails to Jimmy Doolittle and his wife along with Stillwell and other ground war types.

Rico80
11-03-13, 02:43
Remember Tin Tin having really ono won ton min with fine noodles. Also that dance hall upstairs.

Also used to go to Kawano Store in Waipahu for my comics. & their small but very cool soda fountain. Ahh the memories!!LOL. You know this goes back around 40 years ago. Speaking for myself, I must be old. But I do not feel old. Must be this hobby. LOL. Mahalos.

Yeah. Also lunchtime during work would go to wildhorse. Dollar free for all lap dance. LOL.

Rico80
11-03-13, 04:46
Things I remember:

7th Heaven above exoctic nights.

Little Egypts- strip bar in waipahu.

Pool halls- sunset cue and under little Egypt's.

Clocks drive in by sunset drive in-used watch the movie angled parked át clocks lot. Think was 5 burgers for a dollar.

Getting box lunches from okazuya for school excursions.

Waipahu theater for 35 cents. Then changed to only adult movies after that. Used to sneak in after the football games. Now it is a church. LOL.

Bluebird drive in in pearl city-open 24 hours. Across was scotty's drive in, now zippys.

Honolulu808
11-03-13, 05:26
Great concert reminiscing... Although my preferences leaned towards the rock concerts all of you mentioned, the one that sticks out in my mind most was Prince in 1992 at the Blaisdell... I've never seen a greater display of pussy in one place in my life. Of all the concerts I've been too, none have ever had the caliber of girls slutted up like they were for Prince. They were all trying to out-Vanity or out-Apollonia each other with their lingerie! I had my binoculars and was about 15 rows up in the lower stands... Perfect viewing! If only camera phones existed back then!I was at that concert too and I agree the parade of girls was eye popping.

The concert though that brought the girls was Trey Songz a couple years ago. I am guessing fan club girls came along on the tour and when Trey sang Panty Droppa panties was flying on stage. There was 2 big screens and it showed images of those hoes, my god there was a lot of hotties there.

C Man
11-03-13, 05:55
Many wedding receptions and birthdays took place at places like Yong Sing on Alakea, China House on Kapiolani, King's Garden on Waialae, and the infamous Wo Fat on Hotel St. You knew you were somebody if your party was held on Wo Fat's third floor!

C Man

Kaimuki55
11-03-13, 07:37
Yeah, she was working there last I heard. She was a hottie back in the day. I knew thier manager when they started who was just out of HS and much younger than the band members.

Interesting fact: Back in the day, it was not uncommon for elementary kids to go school barefeet. It wasnt cuz was poor as plenty kids did it. We had hard sole feet back then. Da poky stuff neva bodda us cuz had a thick layer of skin built up from walking barefoot. I bet some of you no believe, lol.Yes, High School cannery days. Libbey. Tray boy. Saturday night out in Waikiki with the Kalani GF watching Liz Damon from the cheap seats (standing out in the sand).

JustFacts
11-03-13, 14:07
At the Shell all local bands going for pride.

Top of the Shoppe had Summer and Kalapana intimate setting talk stories with Malani and Mackey.

Bikini
11-03-13, 14:56
Billy Mitchell was long gone before the movie. He died in '36.

I knew most of the Air Corps general staff in the Pacific theater as family friends as a small kid. Served cocktails to Jimmy Doolittle and his wife along with Stillwell and other ground war types.I didn't mean the original Bily Mitchell. This was a movie shoot.

Jzjz
11-03-13, 16:03
Interesting fact: Back in the day, it was not uncommon for elementary kids to go school barefeet. It wasnt cuz was poor as plenty kids did it. We had hard sole feet back then. Da poky stuff neva bodda us cuz had a thick layer of skin built up from walking barefoot. I bet some of you no believe, lol.Remembah doze barefoot hanabuddah dayz. Nemesis to barefoot play was sleeping grass? You don't really see sleeping grass too much anymore. No more on mainland, and when mainlanders come here & see it sleep, they trip out.

JustFacts
11-03-13, 19:19
Back in the 1960's slippers banned from schools because too many kids get hurt when tripped for fun by stepping on back of slipper from behind. Too many broken slippers too.

Shoes were required. Parents couldn't afford. One Principal challenged rules-she was haole at Waikiki Elementary, made headlines.

She said kids either wear shoes or barefoot. Those who could afford wore shoes. Rest of us barefoot. Slippers allowed at middle and high school soon thereafter.

USukebe2
11-03-13, 23:55
Once upon a time before it got polluted, they had boat rides on the Ala Wai Canal. If I remember correctly the dock was located next to the McCully bridge where the canoe clubs launch. Fishermen had chairs built on stilts to sit on to fish for mullet and it wasn't uncommon for golfers to "club" samoan crabs while on the golf course.

Hypo Luxa
11-04-13, 00:21
I'm reading this thread with Wynona and Naomi Judd's "Grandpa, Tell Me 'about The Good Ol' Days!" playing in the background!

USukebe2
11-04-13, 00:36
I'm reading this thread with Wynona and Naomi Judd's "Grandpa, Tell Me 'about The Good Ol' Days!" playing in the background!LOL that's why I put in as the title for my last post haha.

Honolulu808
11-04-13, 01:45
Once upon a time before it got polluted, they had boat rides on the Ala Wai Canal. If I remember correctly the dock was located next to the McCully bridge where the canoe clubs launch. Fishermen had chairs built on stilts to sit on to fish for mullet and it wasn't uncommon for golfers to "club" samoan crabs while on the golf course.I am a little too young for those days but I did see Joe Pimental's painting of what you discribed. I remember as a kid fishing for mullet in the Ala Wai across the canel from your discription location. Yes, chock Samoan Crabs back then too.

Honolulu808
11-04-13, 01:51
Back in the 1960's slippers banned from schools because too many kids get hurt when tripped for fun by stepping on back of slipper from behind. Too many broken slippers too.

Shoes were required. Parents couldn't afford. One Principal challenged rules-she was haole at Waikiki Elementary, made headlines.

She said kids either wear shoes or barefoot. Those who could afford wore shoes. Rest of us barefoot. Slippers allowed at middle and high school soon thereafter.Broken slippas way deadly to the toes and heals while riding bikes. So many times riding around I would blow out the straps on my slippas and slide my big toe into the spokes of the front tire or slipping of my foot paddle and opening up the heal of my feet. I has to ban myself from slippas as a kid. Lucky a pair of slippas was $.50.

Jzjz
11-04-13, 03:08
Saw this online at a Mid Life Crisis Hawaii website. Pretty choice Halloween costume.

Jzjz
11-04-13, 03:23
Ok OGs, you guys remember old school djs like Willie Moku, Kamasami Kong, Michael Qseng. Who are some other names? KORL, KIKI, KROCK, etc. And blind date boogie, Sterling Silva ace private detective.

Chik0848
11-04-13, 06:44
Ok OGs, you guys remember old school djs like Willie Moku, Kamasami Kong, Michael Qseng. Who are some other names? KORL, KIKI, KROCK, etc. And blind date boogie, Sterling Silva ace private detective.The Poi Boys from KPOI, Tom Moffat, Tom Rounds, Dave Donnelly, Bob Lowrie and Sam Sanford. They were the only station that we listened to on our "transistor radios.

Honolulu808
11-04-13, 16:39
Ok OGs, you guys remember old school djs like Willie Moku, Kamasami Kong, Michael Qseng. Who are some other names? KORL, KIKI, KROCK, etc. And blind date boogie, Sterling Silva ace private detective.My favorite was Ron Jacobs and for KCCN Sam Kapu.

Pursuer
11-04-13, 17:41
Ok OGs, you guys remember old school djs like Willie Moku, Kamasami Kong, Michael Qseng. Who are some other names? KORL, KIKI, KROCK, etc. And blind date boogie, Sterling Silva ace private detective.Chris Hart, now doing sports talk show. Tom Dancer, recently deceased. I think Don Robbs was a poi-boy too.

Oldee
11-04-13, 17:41

She said kids either wear shoes or barefoot. Those who could afford wore shoes. Rest of us barefoot. Slippers allowed at middle and high school soon thereafter.That time, Waikiki elementary was next to Jefferson elementary closer to the beach. Could see the ocean from classroon window. The Principal's name was Mrs Baldwin.

Lowlys bro, I knew who Buttons was and used to surf but he was one kid back then. Used to surf with Jerry Lopez who's mom was my school teacher. I guess I'm ancient now, LOL. Rememba SOS or Save our Surf?

Rememba when the radio station had vote for your school by calling radio station? Everybody called hoping thier school would win. Das why american idol no like come bsck hawaii. Hawaii people good at cheering each other on that kine stuff. Parents used to say the kids with long hair playing loud music was only a passing fad. They were the Beatles. I wore Beatle boots. Who else did?

JustFacts
11-05-13, 04:39
Not exactly a shock jock, the AKU could carry an entire broadcast alone. Today it takes a morph of Perry and Price to do the job of one AKU.

Dan Cooke, Lou Richards on the air spinning 45's.

Papio
11-05-13, 14:33
Crystal palace, Tijuana, had local girls working, nowadays no more. What happened. I guess times change.

Lowlys One
11-05-13, 15:28
That time, Waikiki elementary was next to Jefferson elementary closer to the beach. Could see the ocean from classroon window. The Principal's name was Mrs Baldwin.

Lowlys bro, I knew who Buttons was and used to surf but he was one kid back then. Used to surf with Jerry Lopez who's mom was my school teacher. I guess I'm ancient now, LOL. Rememba SOS or Save our Surf?

Rememba when the radio station had vote for your school by calling radio station? Everybody called hoping thier school would win. Das why american idol no like come bsck hawaii. Hawaii people good at cheering each other on that kine stuff. Parents used to say the kids with long hair playing loud music was only a passing fad. They were the Beatles. I wore Beatle boots. Who else did?Oh no Oldee, I know Mrs. Lopez, she was a counsler when I went to that school (you know which one), I guess she must've teached before becoming a counsler, she was super cool to us, she handled us, we were the kids who never have to go school for little while cause that year the usasc (United States amatuer surfing championships) came to Hawaii, they rotated from year to year, going from california one year then to Florida the next year then to Texas the next year then to Hawaii one year, just so happen that year it was on the north shore (was bummed I wanted to go travel to Florida or Cali to surf). As for the bradda Buttons, he just passed from lung cancer, he was one of my earliest mentors, him and Mark Liddell, still see him around, he's doing fine, he surfs a lot on the southeast side nowadays though. Yeah I pretty sad about his passing, he had his bouts with abuse, funniest part about it is after decades and decades of abuse, he finally put that behind him, he sobered up was doing good, had his own surf school out at Puaena point in Haleiwa, I'm so proud of him, he died fucking sober, life goes full circle, funny how things somehow work themselves out, all without my input, I just got to stay out of the way, let the forces of nature handle it.

Oldee
11-05-13, 18:59
Not exactly a shock jock, the AKU could carry an entire broadcast alone. Today it takes a morph of Perry and Price to do the job of one AKU.

Dan Cooke, Lou Richards on the air spinning 45's.Aku was the highest paid radio personality in America back then making BIG bucks. Someone said around 500 k a year. People listened ALOT to radio back then because neva have internet smartphones, ipods, etc.

JustFacts
11-06-13, 02:54
She was grad from Kaimuki. Korean lived with parents just as she said. Had to fuck in the car or my place mostly she really did live with her parents. Forget her Korean name un young or something like that. We all classmates from town, eh.

KukuiGardens
11-06-13, 17:56
Oh no Oldee, I know Mrs. Lopez, she was a counsler when I went to that school (you know which one), I guess she must've teached before becoming a counsler, she was super cool to us, she handled us, we were the kids who never have to go school for little while cause that year the usasc (United States amatuer surfing championships) came to Hawaii, they rotated from year to year, going from california one year then to Florida the next year then to Texas the next year then to Hawaii one year, just so happen that year it was on the north shore (was bummed I wanted to go travel to Florida or Cali to surf). As for the bradda Buttons, he just passed from lung cancer, he was one of my earliest mentors, him and Mark Liddell, still see him around, he's doing fine, he surfs a lot on the southeast side nowadays though. Yeah I pretty sad about his passing, he had his bouts with abuse, funniest part about it is after decades and decades of abuse, he finally put that behind him, he sobered up was doing good, had his own surf school out at Puaena point in Haleiwa, I'm so proud of him, he died fucking sober, life goes full circle, funny how things somehow work themselves out, all without my input, I just got to stay out of the way, let the forces of nature handle it.Button's passed? Wow I didn't know that. Bummer he was good fun.

KukuiGardens
11-07-13, 04:44
Anybody remember it? Hawaii USA FCU is there now. I remember watching kung fu movies, Kikaida and some othere there.

Lowlys One
11-07-13, 17:58
Button's passed? Wow I didn't know that. Bummer he was good fun.Yeah he passed away a week ago, cancer of the lungs, sadly he died in a Cali hospital. Remember "Many Classic Moments", it was the Button's and sidekick Mark Liddell at Kaiser's Bowl. Yeah he was a happy go lucky guy all the way up to a few weeks ago.

JustFacts
11-08-13, 14:07
Across from the church on Kalakaua where they played chess there was no beach it was a retaining wall. You couldn't walk along the beach from Walls to where the Duke statue now stands because there was no beach. There was a Hau tree area where we would fish.