PDA

View Full Version : Intersections with CCTV

Rosco2
07-26-13, 12:13
Well I guess you all saw the new red light camera installed at the intersection of South Grand and Delor a couple days ago. That's the first camera erected in the heart of the stroll. Well, there has been another camera up for a long time at South Jefferson and Highway 44, but that's technically a half-mile north of the stroll. This is getting kind of re-dick I think. These red light and speed radar cameras are going up everywhere now. A single ticket from one of these things can be from $100 to $130, maybe more.

I think we should use this thread to collect a list of all the red light camera and speed radar camera intersections in the St. Louis and metro Illinois area, so we don't get dinged with hefty fines. After all, the ladies need the money more than the city and municipalities do, right. Haha.

I've had to pay about $300 in 3 years from those wonderful cameras. Would be nice if Google Maps pinpointed the cameras like they pinpoint metro train stations and train tracks, but they don't. Aside from saving us money, this thread can help us drive more safely, so I think the police would approve.

So here are the ones I currently know about, but I know there are many more scattered throughtout the metro area:

S. Grand at Delor

S. Grand close to Highway 44 (near St. Louis University)

S. Jefferson at Highway 44.

Olive at Highway 270

Clayton Road at Skinker or Highway 64.

Skinker near Forsyth or Lindell (I've forgotten the exact intersection, but there are one or two cameras located somewhere within those 500 feet on Skinker)

And let's not forget the intersections that combine a camera with an automated speed radar detector. These tickets can be costlier than those from red light cameras. Here are the Automated speed camera locations:

Lucas and Hunt Road a little south of West Florrisant Avenue. This is Country Club Hills' contribution to motor safety. Yep, there's a tiny municipality called "Country Club Hills" (near the municipality of Ferguson). Country Club Hills is only about 5 blocks by 6 blocks in size or exactly 0. 18 square miles (yep, not even a fifth of a square mile in area). The number of people that live there totals 1, 200 (I guess that's about the size of some high schools). Thanks to Wikipedia for providing the population and area info. This beauty of a speed camera on Lucas and Hunt will ding you for $130 if you're driving just 11 miles over the speed limit, which is 40 mph there.

Then there's the speed camera on Highway 170 in the small municipality of Charlack. If you look up Charlack, Missouri in Wikipedia, you'll read this: "The speed cameras are on a mobile trailer which is located on top of I-170 on the Lackland Road Overpass." So that speed camera is on Highway 170 about a half mile south of St. Charles Road. Charlack gets its name from St. Charles road and Lackland Road, according to Wiki, which also says "Charlack has been criticized by the St. Louis Post-Dispatch for painting speed camera calibration lines on the highway without obtaining the proper permission." Hmm, maybe the city of Charlack should be fined by the state of Missouri. Wouldn't that be poetic justice.

I think currently there are only 3 automated speed cameras in the St. Louis metro area, but I don't know where the third one is. Just know about the Charlack and Country Club Hills locations. Would love to know where the third one is.

Then, of course, there are the usual manned radar cameras that police operate from inside their parked cars, in person. Bella Villa and Cool Valley come to mind. Those tiny munies have police officers sitting inside cars watching for the slightest slip-up. If you change lanes inside Bella Villa without using your blinkers, they'll fine you. If you drive without a front license plate inside Bella Villa, they'll fine you. If you make a right turn inside Bella Villa without using your turn signal, they'll fine you, etc, etc. I think even if you touch the lane markings, they'll fine you-or so I read.

And watch out for I-70 stretching a few miles south of the airport. Police monitor there for speeders too.

Tomg01
07-27-13, 10:17
You might want to download the map app "Waze" for your iphone. It notifies you of speed, red light and fake cameras in addition to police presence, accidents, traffic jams etc. Just activate it while you drive. It won't work for the mobile stuff, but you should be trying to keep a low profile anyway when mongering and obeying the traffic laws is a good place to start. You just want to keep away from the cameras when making a pick up I would think.

Well I guess you all saw the new red light camera installed at the intersection of South Grand and Delor a couple days ago. That's the first camera erected in the heart of the stroll. Well, there has been another camera up for a long time at South Jefferson and Highway 44, but that's technically a half-mile north of the stroll. This is getting kind of re-dick I think. These red light and speed radar cameras are going up everywhere now. A single ticket from one of these things can be from $100 to $130, maybe more.

I think we should use this thread to collect a list of all the red light camera and speed radar camera intersections in the St. Louis and metro Illinois area, so we don't get dinged with hefty fines. After all, the ladies need the money more than the city and municipalities do, right. Haha.

I've had to pay about $300 in 3 years from those wonderful cameras. Would be nice if Google Maps pinpointed the cameras like they pinpoint metro train stations and train tracks, but they don't. Aside from saving us money, this thread can help us drive more safely, so I think the police would approve.

So here are the ones I currently know about, but I know there are many more scattered throughtout the metro area:

S. Grand at Delor

S. Grand close to Highway 44 (near St. Louis University)

S. Jefferson at Highway 44.

Olive at Highway 270

Clayton Road at Skinker or Highway 64.

Skinker near Forsyth or Lindell (I've forgotten the exact intersection, but there are one or two cameras located somewhere within those 500 feet on Skinker)

And let's not forget the intersections that combine a camera with an automated speed radar detector. These tickets can be costlier than those from red light cameras. Here are the Automated speed camera locations:

Lucas and Hunt Road a little south of West Florrisant Avenue. This is Country Club Hills' contribution to motor safety. Yep, there's a tiny municipality called "Country Club Hills" (near the municipality of Ferguson). Country Club Hills is only about 5 blocks by 6 blocks in size or exactly 0. 18 square miles (yep, not even a fifth of a square mile in area). The number of people that live there totals 1, 200 (I guess that's about the size of some high schools). Thanks to Wikipedia for providing the population and area info. This beauty of a speed camera on Lucas and Hunt will ding you for $130 if you're driving just 11 miles over the speed limit, which is 40 mph there.

Then there's the speed camera on Highway 170 in the small municipality of Charlack. If you look up Charlack, Missouri in Wikipedia, you'll read this: "The speed cameras are on a mobile trailer which is located on top of I-170 on the Lackland Road Overpass." So that speed camera is on Highway 170 about a half mile south of St. Charles Road. Charlack gets its name from St. Charles road and Lackland Road, according to Wiki, which also says "Charlack has been criticized by the St. Louis Post-Dispatch for painting speed camera calibration lines on the highway without obtaining the proper permission." Hmm, maybe the city of Charlack should be fined by the state of Missouri. Wouldn't that be poetic justice.

I think currently there are only 3 automated speed cameras in the St. Louis metro area, but I don't know where the third one is. Just know about the Charlack and Country Club Hills locations. Would love to know where the third one is.

Then, of course, there are the usual manned radar cameras that police operate from inside their parked cars, in person. Bella Villa and Cool Valley come to mind. Those tiny munies have police officers sitting inside cars watching for the slightest slip-up. If you change lanes inside Bella Villa without using your blinkers, they'll fine you. If you drive without a front license plate inside Bella Villa, they'll fine you. If you make a right turn inside Bella Villa without using your turn signal, they'll fine you, etc, etc. I think even if you touch the lane markings, they'll fine you-or so I read.

And watch out for I-70 stretching a few miles south of the airport. Police monitor there for speeders too.

Rosco2
07-27-13, 14:08
Thanks Tom. I installed Waze this morning but it can't find my SD card. Neither can EverNote, by the way. I'll give Waze a try once I get it working right on my phone. Maybe the problem is I installed the SD card after downloading Waze and EverNote. Anyhow, when I have more time, I'll search Google to get the program to work.

Tomg01
07-28-13, 10:23
Thanks Tom. I installed Waze this morning but it can't find my SD card. Neither can EverNote, by the way. I'll give Waze a try once I get it working right on my phone. Maybe the problem is I installed the SD card after downloading Waze and EverNote. Anyhow, when I have more time, I'll search Google to get the program to work.You're welcome Rosco, Trapster is another app for your phone that should show cameras also live speed traps, construction, detours etc. I like Waze a little better but Trapster works well too. Good luck using them.
Maybe you should delete both apps and then re-install them with the SD card installed. I have heard of Evernote, let me know if you like it.

Knucklebuck
07-28-13, 13:22
There are or were some cameras in Soulard:

http://www.riverfronttimes.com/2004-04-21/news/peeping-bob/

Outside of that article, can't seem to find out any newer info.